“A sad day - but what for the future?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Birkin House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dorchester
Birkin House
Stinsford, Dorchester DT2 8QD, England   |
Ranked #7 of 9 hotels in Dorchester
Poole, United Kingdom
“A sad day - but what for the future?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We attended the first day of the sale of contents of this hotel. If you have £1.7m Birkin house could be yours. It was sad to see so many memories spread across the tables and one wonders how many marriages started under this roof? The building could certainly tell many stories. Our impression was that when a hotel it had a shabby chique approach and the interior style certainly wouldn't have been for us. It will be interesting to know what the new owners will make of it (the house is under offer as I write) because here is the potential for Dorchester to add what could be a quality hotel to its offer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Not sure how to warn potential visitors but this hotel is sadly now up for sale and the contents are being auctioned November 2013...so be careful and do not build your hopes.Please do not attempt to book - ideally the hotel should be removed from listings - anyone know how?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Well it has been a while since I visited but I wanted to put up h views.

Location wise it is just outside the main town which we found handy. I booked to go zorbing which was literally up the road so location for us was perfect.

Pros
Location - lovely gardens, deer wondering the grounds and overall a dated but peaceful location.

Breakfast was good and made to order - no faults here

Upon arrival was greeted by the owner, original we booked the peacock room but this was no ready so we got a bigger room instead.

Little did we know with high winds and rain that Evening the room
Started to leak. Was offered a Half price stay if we came up again but decided not too.

Overall room was clean shame we were kepted up by the dripping noise of
Water Coming through the ceiling

• Stayed June 2013
Herts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year. Although I was made welcome on arrival I found the place had a very strange atmosphere. Having offered me tea and cake, the manager then spent the next hour telling me about how much money he had and his various land deals in Canada, all rather odd! The room was very large but very dated. It was however spotlessly clean. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My partner and I visited Birkin House at the end of August 2012.

The location is near to Dorchester, the home of Thomas Hardy and the inspiration for Casterbridge in The Mayor of Casterbridge.

The hospitality was excellent. As soon as we arrived Neil made some tea cakes and a pot of tea so we could relax in the garden with the peacocks. It is little touches like this which add individual appeal to Birkin House.

As I normally state rooms I stay in are very spacious I have to add a little caveat here to say the room we stayed in at Birkin House was extremely spacious with a view of the front part of the house but as the house is in grounds there are nice views all round. Also has the house has its own grounds there is more than sufficient parking.

The real treat was the 4 posted bed where I spent a lot of time. There were a few steps up to the en suite bathroom. This room was much smaller than the rest of the room but adequate for a short stay.

The television had free view and as this does not come as standard in all hotels I thought it worth a brief mention.

As you can tell from my glowing reference at the start the person we had nearly all our contact with was Neil, the manager, who was polite and courteous and always willing to go out of his way for the guests for example our door slammed quite heavy when we first arrived and he soon came down and fixed this.

The breakfast was lovely was very filling and by the final day I could not manage a cooked breakfast as Neil had predicted so I opted for the lighter scrambled egg which was equally as nice.

The location was excellent as very close to Lulworth Cove and Studland which were just two of the places we visited during our stay at Birkin House.

Overall I would say our stay was excellent and no buts this time. I would therefore definitely recommend a break at this hotel.

Room Tip: We were in the Peacock room and it was lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed only one night as at a wedding and en route to another holiday but were very pleasantly surprised by our stay. Very friendly welcome, room very nice , excellent breakfast , noting seemed to be too much trouble, would definately use again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I booked Birkin House Hotel at last minute, as always i leave every thing to the last minute. We were showing our Ryeland sheep at Dorset Show and needed somewhere to stay. Thankfully i came across Birkin House Hotel. As we drove up the drive i did wonder what we were coming to. Wow! A beautiful old house. We were greeted by the owner who showed us to the Ivory Room. Wow, again, what a beautiful room. A few minutes later the Manager Neil knocked on our door, and from then on, it was laughter all the way! Nothing was too much trouble especially as we were requiring breakfast at a very unreasonable hour, 7am on a saturday and 7.30 on Sunday!! Neil was the perfect host and cooked a very filling breakfast, not greasy like some we have stayed at!! Norman 1 and Norma 1 also put in an apearance (2 of the residance Peacocks), Norman 2 and Norma 2 were nowhere to be seen! We will be returning next year, no question about that, to do the same again, if not sooner. Thank you Neil once again, you really made our stay most enjoyable. Hope to see you soon. Sonia and Adam from Devon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Birkin House? Share your experiences!