“dorchester kings arms” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Kings Arms Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 High East St, Dorchester DT1 1HF, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 22% off stays!
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Dorchester
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“dorchester kings arms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

this has been my sixth visit to the king's the hotel is olde world and retains that character. the staff are all pleasant and courteous towards the guests. we use this hotel as it is very convenient to town centre where my family live. we can park up then get around town on foot. this is a great advantage as parking places are like gold on dorchester.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is a lovely hotel centrally based and with parking facilities. The rooms are comfortable although mine was in need of a little TLC, damp being evident on the ceiling. We didn't eat in the hotel as the menu was not to our taste but don't let that put you off. Similarly with breakfast which was just a tad expensive but did include fried bread !! Sadly the draught Guinness was from a can. When we hotels and pubs learn that cans are OK in your back garden but not in hotel bars!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Warri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here along with family in April for our cousins wedding we had over 10 rooms between us...

The room my wife and I had was perfectly fine well presented over looking the car park, the housekeeping staff kept the room nice and clean with nothing worth noting on the negative side bed was fairly comfortable pillows were a little sparse and on the hard side, however.

Another in our party was given a room with no working shower! The staff at reception said they had contacted a plumber and there was nothing he could do to fix the problem, no offer of an apology no transfer to another room no discount on the bill, remember this is a massive change of hotels I'm sure a faulty shower could of easily been fixed!

2 other rooms that we had were situated overlooking the arch that you drive through into the decent sized and free carpark, however this seems to be where the vents for the kitchen or air conditioning (something along those lines) were situated these started up around 4am waking the 4people staying in those rooms I'm sorry but we can't remember the numbers.

Breakfast, slow and complete chaos, some tables are that crammed together you actually can't pull the seat out to get to the table! When taking your order they also forget to bring over the toast that you have ordered or any hot drinks that might have been requested. If your staying and having breakfast just order the full English and leave what you don't want as we ordered scrambled egg bacon and tomato out came fried egg. We brought this to the waitresses attention she took the meal back to the kitchen, reappeared 60 seconds later with a horrible attitude of 'no this is what you ordered' placed the meal down and stormed off! This attitude was consistently demonstrated by the older of the waitresses the 2 younger waitresses were trying their best but the 'bossy incompetent' one managed to brow beat them which led to them giving up.

Some might think larger parties harder to cater for? We'll we booked about 6 months in advance and we didn't all turn up at once so it would be just like a busy weekend in my eyes.

Such a shame my first and last time using 'BEST Western'

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Dorchester hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I write this review as I sit in the room which is clean and presentable with a good tv, ensuite facilities are good and clean but the water takes ages to drain from the shower in the bath. This is a very old hotel with creaky floorboards and cobwebs in the communal areas more dusting needed I suggest long handle feather duster needed . View from the window poor but I was at the rear of the hotel and it was a business trip. The beds could do with upgrading and not the firmness I prefer . The place is in a good central position with car parking in the town centre and I would stay again even though its a bit overpriced.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Arrived on hottest day of year to date, radiator blasting out heat and couldn't turn it off. Maintenance guy did manage to get it turned off, but room too hot and no A/C. Had booked "Superior" room, but apart form being larger than the average hotel room, little else to justify the "superior" tag. Breakfast was a shambles - if this had been a business trip I would probably have had to walk out without being served.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Nothing unnecessarily fancy but comfortable and just right for a pleasant weekend country break. The bonus being that the hotel itself is draped in history. Icing of the cake was seeing the ghost tour walking through the lobby.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed here numerous times before. This was the first I was patronised by being slowly explained how a card swipe works to open the door. I spend about 100 nights a year in hotels with work and holiday but nevermind. Room this time was TINY! I only ever remember having an executive/superior room previously but this was a last minute reduced standard room on second floor. Couldn't believe the size difference so go for superior if you have to stay here. The bed was among the worst I have ever endured in a hotel of this price range. A cheap metal frame straight out of an argos catalogue probably about five years ago. Has not aged well and creaks so badly. Just inhale deep and a mini creak. Rollover and you wake up your partner and probably the people in all adjacent rooms. Terrible sleep as a result. Even the premier inn has proper hotel standard beds in it. The room I had faced the clock bell and being so high up we were exposed to its toll through the night which made sleep harder. I wont be coming back here in a hurry and considering the list rate was £160 for this poor room I think many others would feel the same -probably why so many spare rooms were being sold at discount the night before.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Donna R, Manager at BEST WESTERN Kings Arms Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Sir,
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again if there is a superior room available we will upgrade as way of an apology so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 01305 265353.
Yours sincerely,
Donna Rado
Duty Manager
BEST WESTERN Kings Arms Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!