“Good Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Kings Arms Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 High East St, Dorchester DT1 1HF, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Dorchester
Kingskerswell
“Good Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights this weekend. Unlike the previous review we have no complaints. The young lady on reception on our arrival gave us a nice welcome, she smiled and was a very jolly person, and she always had a smile whenever we saw her throughout our stay. The room was big and comfy, clean and warm, if anything too warm. The breakfast was good, plenty to eat but wouldnt pay separately for it. Plenty of room in the car park. If staying in the area again we would consider staying here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was absolutely disgusted with the attitude of the staff. They were unhelpful and unpleasant, particularly the manager. We were not directed to our room, even though we had a young baby. The room was small and uninviting and the shower was awful due to the fact that it was tap controlled. In short, I will never stay here again and would not recommend this place to anyone!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Crewe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here at the start of April whilst on business in Dorset. I rang ahead to say I would not be arriving until late in the evening. When I finally arrived at 10.30pm the receptionist did have a note of my earlier call and all of my paperwork was waiting to sign. It's simple things like that which make a good welcome after a 4 hour drive.

I went straight to my room so I'm unable to comment on the bar / entertainments. Though to be fair the bar appeared deserted as most guests seemed to have retired for the night.

My room was small and at the rear of the hotel on the first floor in an extension (?) As I was travelling alone the room was ok but for 2 adults it would have been a real squeeze. The bed was very comfortable, with clean linen and I enjoyed a good nights rest as the hotel was quiet.

The breakfast room at the front of the hotel is not large but the is well laid out. The lady serving was very friendly and efficient.

I did seem to be the only business guest as others at breakfast were mainly retired ladies & gentleman on leisure breaks.

Overall a nice, clean, friendly well positioned hotel. It also has its own car park.

Happy to recommend and stay at again.

• Stayed April 2013
Wiltshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Hotel is situated right in the middle of the High Street with easy parking at the back of the property so makes it an ideal place to travel around Doreset and is within easy access of some of the grand country houses. The Hotel itself is a little tired but clean and the staff friendly. One night was sufficient - any longer and I would have chosen somewhere else. The bedroom was warm and a reasonable size but very badly lit as there was no cealing light only dimly lit lamps at the side of the bed so made the room dark even in the middle of the day. The bathroom was large but the shower was tap overated so not brilliant. The breakfast was standard and was included in our room rate but at £15 p/p it was very overpriced. Rather strangly the buffet of cerals, juices and pastries were all laid out across the main hotel drinks bar which didn't make the whole process very appealing. Overall an ok hotel for the odd night with easy access to Dorset.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here in Feb this year and found the hotel was great, the bedroon was large and very comfy and warm, the bathroom was good size and a very good shower, the breakfast was superb and staff very nice, we had a meal in the bar one evening and again it was suberb ! we would definitely stay there again .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Beaminster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

A return trip, as this is fairly local for us. Four of had a drink and a sandwich in the bar at lunchtime. The bar man was helpful and friendly and the service very good. The chips were very good and the sandwiches fine.

We also got a space in the car park - bonus!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Ipswich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I must admit this was not my first choice hotel. I wanted Bournemouth but this was as close as Best Western could get me even though I was booking 3 months in advance! Very strange! The Kings Arms is an old coaching inn and an 'old-school' hotel. It is quaint, a little twee but full of character. Our room, overlooking the High St, was enormous and clean. We had a giant bed and a giant TV, a sofa and armchair. Free wi-fi was great and easy to access. The bathroom was large but as is often the case in these old hotels, the plumbing was idiosyncratic!
The dining room was intimate and all was looking good until breakfast arrived. It was inedible - although I have to say fellow guests ate it without complaint - but it was included in the package! Hard to imagine how such hotels will survive.

Room Tip: Room 116 is large!