“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Lancaster
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had an excellent meal here. We were on holiday and found it very difficult to find anywhere open in Dorchester on a Sunday evening but we were not disappointed. Staff were very efficient and we were served very quickly. Food was very good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
cambridge
“Indian like no other”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Ate here on first night of a weekend stay in Dorchester and was not disappointed. Was looking for something different as home is full of Prezzo, Ask and Strada. I was really pleased to see that even though this was an indian, there was local produce and fresh fish on the menu, different approaches to curry etc. Ok it might not be authentic, but shows imagination and a desire to work with what is local. We stayed away from the traditional Tikka Masala and Bhuna and went for a sharing platter, Tandoori Halibut, and mixed grill. Although this was technically a bit more pricey it was well worth it. The food was delicious, service good and ambiance quite modern for an indian. I would thoroughly recommend this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Subtle flavours, good service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was relieved to find Rajpoot open for dinner on a Sunday evening in Dorchester when no-one else seemed interested in feeding hungry out -of-towners and, indeed, this sleepy County Town appeared to be just that; asleep until Monday. The restaurant is in a lovely old building at the top of town (Dorchester is built around a hill) and is tastefully, modishly, decorated. The muted Indian/fusion music is relaxed and non-intrusive for diners, and the service polite and restrained.

I had the mixed seafood starter, which was beautifully cooked and very subtly spiced. With a glass of a very decent Chablis, this got my meal off to an excellent start.

For my main course I chose lobster (I was in Dorset, after all, and you're never far from good seafood here) and was delighted with the presentation, flavour and size of the beast when it arrived. Again, lightly spiced with a nice creaminess to the sauce. A little disappointed not to received the claws, only the "dressed" body. No drama, though; a lovely way to eat lobster.

One minor gripe. Like so many modern, trendy-decor restaurants, they had opted for cutlery that is pointed at both ends. Interesting to look at, painful to use...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Ate here whilst on holiday...four of us including an 8 & 9 yr old. Great menu with modern and traditional dishes...we tried both and loved everything...never seen my daughter eat so much! An added bonus was a close up magician who was great with the children...great fun. Would definitely recommend...and make sure you try some of the more modern dishes.

Visited April 2013
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Indian Delicacies in Hardy's Dorchester”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Last night I took some very old friends, who like Indian food (they once lived and worked in India) to the Rajpoot Restaurant in Dorchester, the first time I'd been there myself. We were all well satisfied by the various chicken dishes, Chicken Tikka Mossala, Chicken Bhuna and Rogan Josh.
The Tardka dhall was excellent and the Peshwari nan, the saffron rice and pickles.

Service was elegant but a little slow and we had to remind the waiter on several occasions to bring items we'd requested. The restaurant is rather long and narrow, and the tables too close together to encourage really relaxed and convivial conversation. But the food is excellent! I'll go again, but I'll book a table with a little more privacy.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere