“We will back !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of White Cottage Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dorchester
White Cottage Bed and Breakfast
You added White Cottage Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Athelhampton, Dorchester DT2 7LG , England   |
Ranked #16 of 50 Dorchester B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Darlington
“We will back !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Hopefully next year we will return for the 4th year running ( we are already provisionally booked ).
We have just returned home after a 5 night stay, which, once again was fantastic. We like to stay in the suite which is one of 3 rooms and the amount of space is brilliant especially if staying for a week as we like to do ! The double shower is also great and once set it starts with the push of a button so there is no problem in getting the temperature just right.
The weather as everywhere was very warm so I was supplied with a fan which kept me nice and cool in the night.
The breakfasts once again were wonderful, very hard to resist, the bacon is so succulent and even though I normally am not a sausage eater I find theirs hard to resist. As for the eggs, which are picked straight from the hen house, you would find it hard to find any as tasty anywhere else !!
Finally the hosts, Lindsay and Mark, They are so friendly and helpful they really make your stay special, nothing is too much trouble, they obviously work hard to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome in what is their home as well as a guest house. Their daughter Lily is a delight and Piper the black lab is adorable and so well behaved she puts ours at home to shame ! We are looking forward to next year already.

Room Tip: The suite is worth the extra if staying for more than a couple of nights.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

A total of 7 of us stayed here at White Cottage to attend a wedding at nearby Athelhampton House (about 5 minutes walk away) and we all absolutely loved the whole experience. We were treated to a very warm welcome by Mark and Lindsay, and also their daughter and very lovely Labrador. As somebody who is normally afraid of dogs, it was great to find a dog so well-behaved and friendly! All the rooms were lovingly decorated and felt really homely. The beds were really comfy and I think we all had a great night's sleep! We also all really loved the breakfast - the full english was delicious and expertly cooked by Lindsay. Overall I would definitely recommend the B&B and we are hoping to return at some point in the future to enjoy some more of the beautiful surroundings. Really good value for money, an absolute gem!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at white cottage with my son earlier this month. It was my third stay at white cottage since Mark and Lindsay opened their delightful home to the holidaying public, and it was as good as it has ever been, if not better! We stayed in room 1, the blue room, and I had the best nights sleep I've had in ages- not sure if it was the ultra comfy bed, fantastically snugly duvet, fluffy pillows, or the tranquility but something did the trick! The ensuite shower room was spotlessly clean, with fluffy white towels and complimentary toiletries. A welcome tray in the room means you can make a cuppa in the morning if you want, but I was keen to get down to breakfast, which certainly didn't disappoint! Massive choice from cereal and fruit, to the full on English breakfast.... Well, it would've been rude not to! Lindsay is a fabulous cook and her breakfasts are spot on. Gallons of tea and toast sent us off on our way to a rainy day at the tank museum (very good especially if you have boys!).
Mark and Lindsay are fabulous hosts, and their delightful daughter lily was a brilliant tourist guide, telling us all sorts of info for local things to do, and entertaining my son whilst I had a good natter with mark and Lindsay!
Thanks very much for a fabulous stay, we will be back!

Stayed June 2013
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The weekend of 1st June 2013 my sister got married at Athelhampton Hall. My parents arranged for myself and my partner to stay at The White Cottage. When at the wedding reception, we were told by another guest, who we didn't know but was also staying at the White Cottage, that there was a problem at the hotel. As such we went to see what the problem was. When we got there, we were shown a few very small dirty marks on the carpet in my room for which the owner was blaming us and we were told we would be charged £82 for a professional clean. There are several points which showed a lack of professionalism from our hosts:

1. Why was this bought up on the night of my sisters wedding (which they were aware of)? even general good manners tell you not to do this.
2. Why were other guests let into the room?
3. They bought in a professional cleaner to give a quote whilst we were at the wedding and without our permission.
4. The carpets are not fit for purpose - the hotel is in the countryside so you may get some dirt on them but we were advised that they only use a hoover on the carpets??? Also, if this is the case why don't you ask people to take their shoes off at the front door?
5. There was no actual proof it was us - by the sounds of it everyone was let into the room!!!

My parents came out to sort the problem and missed a good hour of their daughters wedding. I was disgusted at this. They eventually paid £82 and I think it was just so it didn't spoil the big day. I certainly wouldn't have paid!!

TO BE CLEAR - THIS DID SPOIL THE BIG DAY!

Now.....something about the hotel and the hosts.

The hotel is quaint and in the countryside. It has nice places to go to walk and the surrounding villages are nice.

The hotel itself is like staying in someone's house. It all feels a bit awkward when you have their kid running about.

There are only 2 rooms in the cottage. Our room was really small. So small you probably couldn't even swing a cat about in it....not that I'd want to because I'd probably get charged for the cat hairs on the floor!

Our bathroom was not ensuite and was down the corridor. I think the other room was ensuite so try and get that one if you stay.

Breakfast was nice.

I felt the hosts were a bit awkward when you spoke to them. The lady also forgot to be a professional host and come and say goodbye when we left. Even if there is a problem you need to overlook this!

I would probably give the hotel a 2 stars and the experience 1 star. The host really let themselves down how they handled the situation - I do hope they learn from these comments.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were not disappointed staying at this beautiful country cottage for 3 nights. The room was spotless and the unsuite shower was hugh and perfectly clean. The bed was really comfy with its spotless fluffy white pillows and duvet. So welcoming after a long busy day seeing the local attractions and picturesque villages and towns that were all easy to get to and close by.
We had a very warm welcome on arrival and when we were shown our room it had a lovely feel to it. felt like home from home. The view from bedroom 1 window was breathtaking, looking over the river and the fields with the spring lambs and chickens waddling about. It really is the picture postcard cottage in the country. Mark and Lindsay would always be on hand for any questions and were amazing accommodating friendly hosts and catered for our every need, and made the stay feel very special, and we felt very cared for. My Daughter loved the fact she could run about the beautiful big enclosed garden, bounce on the trampoline and make friends with the "farmyard" animals. My mother enjoyed the quiet of the countryside and the beautiful panorama. The cooked breakfast in the morning was delightful and delicious, and the fresh eggs from their own chickens were served in a variety of ways were a fantastic treat not to be missed. We loved the many choices on offer, from fresh fruit to cereals for children. It catered for everyones needs and tastes!
Cannot wait to go back next year! White Cottage is now top of the list for the Best B&B we have stayed in. Cannot fault it one bit. Fantastic trip. Fantastic views. Fantastic customer service.. And a great base to plan you day trips from. Would recommend to anyone.. It's the place to stay. Some wonderful memories to look back on. Well done White Cottage.. It was perfect.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, with beautiful views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Whangarei Heads, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

As B&B proprieters ourselves in NZ we know what to look for and expect. We weren't disappointed in any sense: value for money, spotless and comfortable room, peace and quiet. Our hosts were friendly and charming, and the breakfast all you could want to enjoy in such pleasing surroundings. Any negative review must be someone with an axe to grind: we'd be happy to recommend this place to any discerning traveller.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend at the White Cottage B&B in Athelhampton. Stayed here when Mark and Lynsey first opened and had no hesitation in going back when we returned to the area. We found it even better than we remembered- Mark and Lynsey are wonderful hosts and are very happy to share their local knowledge which made our stay very interesting. We stayed in room 2 this time, the bed was huge and very comfortable and the views from our window were exceptional.We really felt very welcome at this family run B&B-nothing was too much trouble.
The breakfast was amazing-the sausage bacon and eggs all came from their own smallholding. We will certainly stay again and would not hesitate to recomend this B&B.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to White Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!