“B&B not hotel!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 152 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
London
“B&B not hotel!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Somewhat disappointed with our stay at the chocolate boutique hotel. The reviews had raised my expectations and as much as I enjoyed visiting Bournemouth I wished I stayed somewhere else. We did not have a shower or curtain, my husband kept having to watch his head because the ceiling was so low, the bar was locked and never open? The only pro I can think of was the breakfast and chocolates! Sorry to say this was not what I expected having read the reviews.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hengoed
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We had this as a wedding gift, one nights stay with breakfast and the chocolate fountain in the room. We had room 16 which was exactly as the picture on the website.
The bed was comfortable, the decor was lovely and the bathroom was immaculate.
The welcome we received was warm and inviting. The breakfast was plentyful, the bar we thought was brilliant, the chocolate cocktails were amazing and the free jukebox added to the best experience.
Really nice location close to lovely beach and town area.
Plenty of chocolate everywhere in the hotel.
I cannot find fault with this hotel. I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I stayed here for a friends birthday and loved it! The chocolate theme works well throughout with complimentary choice in the room. Chocolate breakfast is a treat but traditional breakfast also available. Chocolate cocktails and a fountain which I didn't see used all helped add to the theme. The room was comfortable and well designed and the hotel throughout has deep pile carpets and plush fabrics for a luxurious feel. Overall good fun but more expensive than most hotels in bournemouth.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This isn't really a hotel. It's a B&B. You have to ring to get into reception and then you are issued with a key to enter the hotel and another for your room. Decor is OK - not as smart as their website suggests, but it's OK. Room was very hot, even with the radiator turned off in the middle of winter (November). Bathroom was nice and new with decent shower - no complaints there.

My main gripe is the total lack of sound proofing. We were unfortunate to stay next door to an amorous couple who had lots of stamina. It made for a very disturbed night's sleep. You can here a pin drop in the room next door, so use your imagination...

Breakfast was good and plentiful, car parking is plentiful and free. Free wifi too.

It is on a residential road but at the weekends there are lots of drunk revellers passing by which means if you have your window open (due to excessive heat in the room) you are woken every half an hour by some local yob shouting at the top of his voice.

No word of a lie - we managed to get 3-4 hours sleep due to the couple next door and the noise from outside. I was really pleased to check out the next day and get home.

I'm afraid I just can't recommend it based on my experience. I paid £95 for the cheapest room they have which is pretty steep for what you get. I think you'd be better off going for a deal on a chain hotel elsewhere for a similar price.

Room Tip: Bigger rooms are probably cooler so go for one of them!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed for a weekends trip to bournemouth. Was given a warm welcome and found the rooms very pleasant. Bathroom was small and cramped, but adequate.
The rooms are all chocolate themed, so hope you like brown! Personally I felt it made it look pretty dated, but each to their own.
The courses they run are well worth it, we made some fantastic chocolates. They made excellent presents for the dog sitter, well those that got that far home!
Was very miffed with the clubbers keeping us up all night having returned noisily to the hotel at 3. And then not even asked if everything was ok when checking out, which was a bit disappointing. Overall nice hotel, just needs repricing and better service

• Stayed November 2011
Calne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I was lucky enough to win a stay at the Chocolate Boutique Hotel, with a one-on-one chocolate making class, in a competition I entered.  My husband and i were so excited about it as we both LOVE chocolate!  The prize was for 2 adults but the hotel were very generous and allowed us to bring our little boy, who is 15 months old, along too free of charge.  It is always worrying when you go away with a child as you never know how child friendly the place you are staying in will be, but we needn't have worried as the hotel couldn't have been more child friendly.  On arriving we were greeted at the door by a very friendly member of staff who explained about the facilities, including when and where breakfast was served and how we could order drinks at the bar or a chocolate fountain in our room, and directed us to our room.  Our room was lovely and clean and decorated in a chocolate theme.  Although it was a standard double room, it still had space for a travel cot and everything else that is needed when travelling with a little one.  We were also pleasantly surprised to find lots of lovely complementary chocolate to eat too.  We decided to treat ourselves to a chocolate fountain, which all of us thoroughly enjoyed!  Breakfast the next morning was great-there was a wide choice and portions were generous.  After breakfast we had our one-on-one chocolate making course, which was amazing.  It was held by Gerry, who is an inspirational entrepreneur, and he worked us hard!  By the end of the class we had made truffles, chocolate shoes, chocolate Christmas trees and a lot more, all of which we were able to take home with us (we will be eating chocolate for a long while!).  Gerry also let us taste many different types of chocolate and introduced us to some truly amazing plain chocolate.  The class and our stay ended all too soon but we had a fabulous time and would recommend the hotel and chocolate making class to anyone.  Thanks to Gerry, Roo, Vanessa and all the staff at the hotel for making our stay so special-we hope to come back very soon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

My husband and I bought a groupon deal for this hotel for £65 for one night's stay, Cava and breakfast. This was excellent value. The hotel staff were friendly and the complimentary chocolate we recieved was lovely. The room we had was very small and a little tired looking but we were expecting this having read other reviews from the same deal. The bed was comfortable however and it was very clean and warm - a little too warm if I'm honest - it felt difficult to get any fresh air.

The bathroom was a little ridiculous. There was no shower, just a hand held faucet and so my 6ft husband struggled with a wash before we went out. He completely gave up the next day and we left early to have a shower in our own home!

Breakfast was lovely but again the radiators were on full blast and there was little air. There is a bar which specialises in choclate cocktails but you have to request for it to be open and we weren't that brave and went somewhere else instead.

I enjoyed our stay and was, as I said above, not disappointed with what we got for our money as I had read the reviews previously and also it was outstanding value. What can you expect for £65? I certainly would not have been happy if we had paid full price for that particular room however. I would have been interested to see some of the other rooms.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chocolate Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!