“Poor” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights had to change rooms as our first room the windows didn't open, rooms are very poor wallpaper hanging off walls and ceilings lights not working over bed or in bathroom, way to many students hanging around outside building aswell.way to expensive for what you get breakfast os ok though

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Portland, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed for one night in this hotel as we were going to the B.I.C for a show. The location is excellent, but the hotel itself is dire.
After arriving at the hotel, we were told we were on the top floor, (no problem), but the tiny radiator in the room had been switched off and the room was freezing. To make matters worse the window had a 1/2 inch gap all round the frame, so the draught was terrible. The furniture was 70's flatpack, in poor condition, wobbly and filthy. The chest of drawers had what looked like old scabs/bogies in them, certainly not a place to keep your clothes. The en-suite, although functional, was mouldy and had the smell to match. There were stains on the curtains and the bedding, and all round the edge of the carpet was thick with dust and mould.
The walls are very thin so you can hear everything going on around you, and the room doors are constantly slamming as this is the only way to close them. The breakfast as it turned out isn't included in the price, but after seeing the place only the brave would eat there.
After deciding a drink in the bar was in order, we went downstairs, rang the bell, waited 7 minutes for service, and was made to feel like we were being awkward for disturbing them.
Generally the place is a dump. Noisy, cold, in very poor condition, dirty and not worth visiting at all.
There are many hotels in this area, don't make the mistake of booking this one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I don't usually complain about my Accommdation. However.. Finding a cheap room for only 1 night was hard as it was valentines weekend..

We paid £65 for 1 room 1 night.

As we approached this hotel, it didnt seem all that. As we parked the car we saw someone throw a beer can from their bedroom window - nice welcoming!

When we walked in we had to press a doorbell due to the fact that there was no one actually on the reception.

Someone finally came and gave us our keys, we were on the top floor. So dragging our luggage up the stairs, we go to the second floor and smelt the horrible stench of weed coming from a room.

As we opened our room, beds were clean however there was mold on the skirting boards, cracked tiles and dog hairs all on the carpets.

We didnt even bother to have breakfast we just had it up the road.

Brilliant location shame about the overall standard.. We expected a bit better due to the fact it was £65 for 1 night!

Oh well.. Don't know untill you try. Won't be coming back as there are plenty of other B&Bs to stay in.

Hope this helped travellers!

• Stayed February 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is probably one of the most bizarre and ultimately dissapointing establishments that I have ever had the misfortune of visiting (bare in mind that I have been backpacking on a shoestring in Thailand).

Having arrived early we were pleased to discover our rooms were ready although upon further inspection the only thing they were ready for was being condemned. True, the conditions would compare favourably to a Japanese prisoner of war camp, however in the age of cilit bang I feel it is within my rights to have a shower without fear of diphtheria. As a music enthusiast the various tour posters which adorned the walls were a nice touch, although worryingly the Levellers were probably at their pomp the last time the room saw a feather duster. A special mention must go to my bed, which with springs a distant memory, relied on a sheet of MDF to preserve its structural integrity. Inmates on death row have better nights sleep.
If all of this wasn't bad enough the hotel manager then had the audacity to ask for a deposit in case of any damage to the room!

Having taken advantage of the hotels admittedly good location and ventured into town we returned to the hotel bar for a drink ( this was kindly although reluctantly opened for us). This was a pleasant end to our evening in Bournemouth and at least showed that, if nothing else, the hotel is able to cater for a thirsty crowd!

In summary, whilst I was not naive enough to think that for £100 the 4 of us would be bathed in luxury, I do feel that this should at least justify a clean and comfortable room.

• Stayed November 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My friend and I booked the beacon hotel for one night in October. We had a twin room that cost us £50. As soon as we walked up to the hotel I was shocked at how awful it was kept from the outside. We checked in and it took the lady a good 5 minutes to even appear at the desk, when she did she seemed just like she couldn't be bothered to help us. We were given a room right up on the top floor which I wouldn't of cared if we had got up there and felt safe, but no we were the only ones there , it was pitch black and not very welcoming. We managed to get into our room and as soon as we had wished we hadn't. To say the pictures online were a bit different from the acutal room is an complete understatement. It is defiantly the most awful hotel I have ever checked into . There was massive stains on my bed which looked like the sheets had not even been changed and what looked like sick splattered up the wall, the room smelt awful and as soon as we opened the bathroom door a stench of what only I could describe as a badly kept public men's toilet came out. As soon as we calmed down we left straight away and managed to find anothe hotel at the last minute. The only good thing about our 10 minutes at the beacon was the receptionist didn't even question us when refunding our money, probably because she knows how awful it is. I would not stay there if the room was offered to me for free, let alone the £50 we were charged. How someone could let anyone stay in rooms like that is beyond me.

• Stayed October 2012
Reading, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights, had problems from the moment we walked in. We checked in after booking two rooms to find out that one of the rooms was on a completely different floor to the other. There were red, what looked like, blood stains on the sheet on the bed. After stripping the bed and carrying it downstairs to reception, i was told there was nothing they could do about it as they do not have spare bedding. Leaving my mum having to use her own towel as a blanket. The tiles in the bathroom were cracked and some had fallen off the wall. The room on the higher floor had no electricity in it. After going to find out if they could sort it out we were told that we had to put up with it as an electrician wasn't coming out to do it for a few days. The location is perfect though short walk down hill to the beach. I wouldnt stay here again, no matter how much of a tidy and refurbish it went through

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed for a week - price was really cheap - rooms were nice and clean. Staff were all really nice, couldn't be more helpful.

When I was there they had an open mic night in the bar which was a really nice touch - fitted well with all the music memrobilia.

I saw all the stuff about bed bugs and have to say was a bit dubious - however the manager Brain showed me all the stuff from their new pest control company and they've recently had the entire hotel treated, I was actually looking for bugs but found nothing!

I would def reccomend this place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bourne Beat Hotel? Share your experiences!