“Good stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Newbury Hotel

You added Newbury Hotel to your Saves list
Newbury Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   83 St Michaels Road | West Cliff, Bournemouth BH2 5DR, England   |
Ranked #75 of 151 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Iowa
“Good stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed in three hotels during our eight nights in England and our bed at the Newbury Hotel was by far the most comfortable! The room was small but adequate. It's location made it very convenient to walk to area pubs and restaurants. The English breakfast we could purchase through the Newbury from the Shamrock Inn down the street was good. We also enjoyed visiting with Vicky who runs it. She was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
VickiBournemouth, Owner at Newbury Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
A very big hello to you both and thanks for taking the time to write the review. Although you both mentioned at the time that the room was very comfortable, I was pleased to see that you said "our bed was by far the most comfortable". We have recently refurbished our rooms (which is something that we do on a regular basis). With new carpets and beds included in the refurb, so it is nice for us when a guest notices that we have made the effort. It was very interesting to meet you both and I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday in the U.k. Hopefully you will remember the Newbury Hotel and come and see us again in the future. Best regards Vicki.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
bournemouth uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

stayed at Newbery again a few weeks ago, owners very helpful she provided a small fridge to store medication in and was very socialble, had a chat with her in lounge area and she brought me in a coffee and buiscuit whilst we were chatting room very very clean and has a newer TV flat screen than in my previous visit would def stay again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
VickiBournemouth, Owner at Newbury Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Hi both, glad you enjoyed yourselves with us once more! It was great to see you again & I look forward to the next time. take care both. Best regards Vicki.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The room was beautifully clean and very comfortable. Modern and tastefully furnished. The hotelier and staff were friendly and polite and very helpfully. all my needs were catered for and i thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Will definitely be going back there for the hospitality and have recommended it to my friends and work colleagues. Thank you.

Room Tip: I had a room at the top which was quiet but the hotel itself has a nice peaceful ambiance about it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
VickiBournemouth, Owner at Newbury Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Hi, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your weekend and many thanks for the recommendations that you have been giving to your friends. We do try to make all of our guests feel comfortable and welcome. Glad to see that we got it right! Look forward to seeing you soon. Best regards Vicki.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while in bournemouth for a meeting. I was greeted by the owner personally on arrival and shown to my room. At this point i was asked if everything was to my satisfaction. I had three very comfortable days with no stress and a very flexible attitude by the owner as to when i left and returned. Nothing was to much. The room and en-suite was to very high, contemporary and comfortable standard. I was not bothered by no breakfast as i was normally out early. Overall a very good hotel. I will be using it again and would highly recommend it to anyone planning a trip.

Peter T,
Brighton

Room Tip: Try to book as well in advance as possible. I could plainly see the hotel had a good constant flow o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hi & so glad that your business meetings went well. Not much time for seeing Bournemouth, but try to get down to us for a well earned break. I know that you said you are not a breakfast person, but you should try the "Full English" that we provide when you next stay, believe me you are in for a treat. Don't forget that the breakfast is available till 12.00 noon, so you could have it as a brunch or early lunch! Looking forward to seeing you soon. Don't work to hard. Best regards Vicki.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Upon our arrival we were greeted with a warm hello and big smile (something not seen much these days) then shown to our room. The room was lovely decorated and had all that we could ask for, went out for stroll of the area and something nice to eat. Our bed was so comfortable it felt like being in your own. In the morning met the landlady who told us all we needed to know. She has a deal with The Shamrock so we pay for a voucher and pop among the road for breakfast and it is a substantial meal with tea or coffee to go with it, it appeared to us that most guest houses in the area do this voucher system. I would recommend to visit this guest house if on a short stay just a few hundred yards from the seafront and entertainment, I can vouch you don't hear a thing from out side. Thank you Vicki for a wonderful stay, hope didn't worry you too much with the Asthma and will take things slower next time.

Room Tip: "If you do have difficulty with stairs do say so and they will do their utmost to give ground f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi, and many thanks for your kind review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to bee seeing you again soon. Glad you liked the breakfasts (they are good, but not to often if you value your waistline!). I have now come to a further arrangement and a selection of the evening meals (steak & chips etc) are available to guests of the Newbury at a greatly reduced cost.
When you come again make sure that you phone direct for discount and I can also arrange a ground floor room for you, as I think that would be better for you with your asthma. Best wishes Vicki.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel does NOT serve a traditional english breakfast , nor does it serve a continental breakfast ,in fact it actually serves nothing- contrary to the website!!on a cold damp winters day do you really want to be wandering around searching for a cafe to open ?? no sign of any staff or any atmosphere , definately NOT gay friendly or indeed even customer friendly, AVOID AT ALL COST .

Room Tip: choose another hotel !!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
VickiBournemouth, Owner at Newbury Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
An interesting title, "Not A Hotel", this statement is true, we are indeed, not a hotel. We do not pretend to be a hotel. All of the establishments in St. Michaels Road are called X.Y.Z. Hotel, they are all guest houses and were all named thus, about 60 to 70 years ago, when they opened. This is just a quirk of that period and and not any attempt to deceive in any way. The very low cost of your accommodation should have been a good indicator. To stay in a hotel would have cost you at least treble. Your main complaint seems to be that we do not serve a breakfast on site. This is true and contrary to your statement that we do not give this information on our web-site, we do, very clearly. We have found that the vast majority of our guests prefer the breakfast system that we have in place. Instead of having to get up at 8.00am for a breakfast that is served from 8.00am till 9.00am (you feel obliged to have it, as you have paid for it). You can decide at the time if you would like a Full English Cooked Breakfast, no advance booking is necessary. You simply come to the reception, ring the bell Purchase a breakfast voucher (subsidised by us) for £3.50, take it across the road to the Shamrock and you will be given a large and beautifully cooked Full English Breakfast that will set you up for the day. You certainly do not have to go around "searching for a cafe". Our guests have often commented, that they prefer this more relaxed way, as it is more flexible and puts the guest in control. For those who do not require a breakfast, they are not paying for something that they are not having.
I do not understand why you have stated that we are not Gay Friendly, I think that the large number of our gay guests would refute this. Every guest is treated with equal respect and courtesy. Other reviews will confirm this. Indeed many reviewers have commented on how friendly and helpful we are.
You stated that there were no staff? This statement is just not true, unlike a lot of similar establishments that I know of, where the owners go out and leave the place unattended, I make sure that there is always someone on site, should a guest require any information or assistance, as you were told on your arrival. With regard to the atmosphere, we try to be as friendly and helpful as we can, to all of our guests, a lounge is provided for your comfort and relaxation. I know that you wanted to go of and sample the gay nightlife, but what was I supposed to do? take you there? You do have to arrange your own entertainment.
I have noted that in your ratings you have only given one out of five for every category, which is most unfair and again, just not true.

VALUE - we are cheaper than the other establishments in this area, offering the same service.

CLEANLINESS - We pride ourselves on our high standards and are renowned for it. See comments.

LOCATION - We are close to the seafront, shops, all amenities, BIC, night-life, (where is the problem?)

SLEEP QUALITY - All of our beds are new, with high quality brands.

ROOMS - All of our rooms have been refurbished and for the tariff charged, are very good value.

SERVICE - We are always friendly and approachable, we do our utmost to help guests in whatever way we can. However we are not responsible for organising your social activities. I am well aware that you found the "Bournemouth Gay Scene" dull and boring, when you are used to Brighton, as I remember you complaining to me about it. However you can hardly blame us and hold us accountable for that. Regards Vicki.
Basildon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My girlfriend and I, on our first proper holiday together, spent four nights at the Newbury and we both enjoyed a comfortable and stress-free stay. We didn't really know what to expect, especially as our budget had its restrictions, but the ease and comfort of the accommodation was such a relief.
Our hostess was very friendly and welcoming and couldn't do more for us. The room was a double with a queen bed, a tv and a sink but still afforded us suitable room. The shower and toilet was shared but we didn't run into any problems with other guests using the facilities. Whilst our room may have been quite small compared to other hotels we've been to (on family holidays abroad) for the small price we paid (about £19.75pppn) it provided us with brilliant value for money. Add to that the close proximity to the beach and surrounding shops and the figure becomes even more impressive. The only negative was the incline after a night out!
The weather stayed perfect throughout the week - maybe a bit too hot - but we had no reluctance in returning to our room when the sun became too harsh. We aren't a couple to spend hours down at the pub either and returned at about 9/10 each night to a quiet street and pleasant sleep. We'd have happily stayed for longer but for the crumpled remains of my student loan and would stay again without hesitation. Thanks a lot

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper then maybe try and avoid facing the street as it is opposite a lamp post.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
VickiBournemouth, Owner at Newbury Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Hi to you both & so pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. As you said, you had one of the two standard doubles,with shared facilities (just outside the room). We only have two of these rooms, so there is never any waiting for shower etc.. as you found out. Obviously, because these are the cheapest (budget) rooms, they are smaller than the others, but as you have said, are still comfortable and adequate for your needs. The hills, I can do nothing about!!! but it is good exercise and for those not wanting to walk, there is the lift at the end of the road.
Hope to see you both again in the near future.

Best regards

Vicki.

Been to Newbury Hotel? Share your experiences!