“hit and miss” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“hit and miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The room was very good with view of the sea but unfortunately with nothing at the bathroom window everyone outside got a good view of you when the light was on. Breakfast was ok evening meals not very good. Too many times we had to ask staff to refill items. the staff were helpful once they were asked. on the whole not bad value for money but would not go again because of the food.

Room Tip: ask for corner room facing sea
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Gosport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had a weekend break at the Britannia, the second time we had stayed there. On both occasions we felt that we had received extremely good value for money. Some parts of the hotel could do with refurbishment and updating, but we found that the facilities were always spotless, the food (buffet style breakfast and dinner) plentiful and well cooked. All in all we had two very comfortable weekends, thanks to the ever present helpful and courteous staff. One downside though, this year the hotel started charging £3 a night for parking. This seems to be spreading in the hotel industry. In my view, once you have paid for accommodation, then parking should not be an extra charge.

Bridlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 4 day National Holiday break which we really enjoyed. The staff were friendly and efficient, the rooms were clean and warm. The meals were self-service and the food was extremely tasty BUT (and this was the only downside of the break) the amount of food some people took was embarrassing. The portions people were taking for themselves could have easily fed three and they still went back for more even though there was a notice stating only 1 serving per person. People on later sittings were struggling to get a meal as most of the food had been taken on the earlier sitting. I think the hotel will have to operate a portion control system so that everyone gets a fair share of the food.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Arriving on Sunday 4th November I was surprised to find the hotel decorated for Christmas.I had booked a standard double for my sole use and was pleased to find it was a large comfortable room with two windows and a good bathroom.The only drawback with the room was the tv which boasted only BBC1,BBC2,ITV1 and 2,Channel 4 and 5 and that was it.I'm afraid in 2012 no freeview at least is unacceptable especially in a hotel which caters for business travel.
Dining room was large which was just as well as monday brought the reason for the decorations with four coach loads of "turkey and tinsel" revellers arriving.Remarkably the food quality stayed good with a good choice for dinner and the breakfast was very good.Both meals are self-service.
Not the hotels fault I chose to book my four day stay during the "holiday period" but I thought the first week in November would be ok and there was no indication on the booking page online that there was a "turkey and tinsel" rate available,had there been I would have booked elsewhere.
I in fact booked out of the hotel a day early and took the financial loss of a nights stay after being informed on arriving for dinner I had just missed Santa Claus with his sack.I remind the reader this was still the first week in November and fireworks were going off outside to celebrate Guy Fawkes night.
In summary a good comfortable hotel with very good food and I would happily stay there again but not during any festive promotions and I hope the tv channels on offer will have improved by then.

Room Tip: Hotel parking is £3 a night but well worth it.Not a large car park so get there early to guarantee a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night in beginning of October. We requested early check in by an hour as we had a christening to get to at the time of check in and wanted to freshen up first. There was a charge of £10 for early check in, despite notifying them 3 weeks before - I think £10 is quite steep.

Our room was also upgraded upon arrival.

the room was clean, which is the main thing, a clean bathroom and bed are essential. The decor is dated but not ugly, not worth complaining about. The staff were very helpful in storing our bags after checkout the following day whilst we explored Bournemouth.

Breakfast was not the best in the world, low quality bacon and sausages made a big difference to the quality of the buffet style breakfast. However staff were attentive, alert and well presented.

Would stay again if I had breakfast elsewhere, but only for short visits. Great location to the town, 10-15 minute walk away, great location to the beach (the hotel is practically on the seafront and a 1 minute walk).

Room Tip: Go for a view of the sea front and go elsewhere for a better quality breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

One of the worse hotels I have ever stayed in....
Most of the staff speak broken English and the ones that do speak English are rude...

The lift has a problem and "whines" it's way up and down all night long.....

The food is terrible and hardly replenished.....

Rooms are tired and smelly. Even a non smoking room smells of smoke....

You are charged £3 per night for parking and if you can't get in all the roads round it are all double yellow lines so you are forced to park at least a mile away from the hotel.....

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

MY fiancé and I booked into this hotel on a D/BB basisas we wanted a break. From the start it was awful. We arrived an hour before the official check in time and was told if we wanted to check and was told if we wanted to check in we would have to pay ten pounds even though the room was ready. We were told to lose ourselves for an hour. We eventually checked in around 5pm. The lift was only just big enough for two of us plus our weekend bag. When we arrived at our room we were unable to plug anything in as the room still had 3 pin round sockets dating back to god knows when. My fiancé and I are 48 and don't remember them!. We called reception and asked they moved us which in all fairness they did but when we got to our second room the key failed to work and we had to get a replacement. The restaurant was ok but it was made clear we should vacate as soon as possible to allow the staff to clear the buffet bar . WE DID HAVE A LOVELY EVENING IN THE BAR ON THE FRIDAY EVE BUT THAT WAS DUE TO THE RAPPORT OF THE SINGER WITH THE GUESTS. YOU CAN PARK YOUR CAR AT THE HOTEL FOR £3 PER DAY BUT EVEN THOUGH ITS VERY CHEAP I CHALLENGE YOU TO FIND A SPACE!! THE SECOND NIGHT WE WENT TO ENTER THE BAR AND WAS TOLD IT WAS CLOSED DUE TO A PROBLEM WITH THE CEILING SO NEEDLESS TO SAY HAD TO GET A TAXI INTO TOWN TO GET A DRINK. ALL IN ALL THIS IS THE FIRST REVEIW I HAVE EVER WRITTEN BUT I FELT SO STRONGLY.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Britannia Hotel Bournemouth? Share your experiences!