“where do i begin?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St Michaels Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
St Michaels Hotel
Save Saved
You added St Michaels Hotel to your Saves list
67 - 71 St Michaels Road, Bournemouth BH2 5DR, England   |
Ranked #61 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Southampton, United Kingdom
“where do i begin?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

ok I shall begin at the beginning, we arrived on Friday afternoon into a car park with a pile of broken sofas, there were 22 of us on my daughters hen weekend. we were met by a very pleasant woman who had us all in the bar area, which was shabby and grubby and explained that she had put us all on the ground floor because there was cctv covering that area and as there was a stag party in the hotel she likes to make sure that the girls were safe. (confidence instilling). some of our rooms were right next to the bar area. we had a room with a double & single bed for 3 of us. as soon as we got the room we noticed that the door would not lock, the manager came straight away and fixed it for us. the room was pretty dire. no shower curtain, no grout in bathroom tiles, toilet not bolted to the floor, a challenge after a few Bacardi's, the bath looked as if someone had taking a bite out of the side of it. I stated that we would be leaving with verruca's and pubic lice at the very least. good news was that the bed linen was clean, we did not dare look at the pillows or mattresses. The ceiling light was exposed the cover long gone. the carpets through out the hotel were minging and we wore shoes at all times. some of our party were in the basement which was dank and damp smelling. I have to say at this point I cannot fault the staff they were all really nice people who were trying to do the best with what they had. . . . the bar had 3 wine glasses in total which for 22 women was annoying but it didn't matter what shape the glass was we still drank ok. the Stag party sharing the hotel were all very pleasant and at times very entertaining which made it all the more bearable. The drinks in the bar were ridiculously cheap although we were warned that the booze was running out and they didn't know when it would be replaced as the hotel was changing owners the following day. the breakfast was fine, not top notch but not the worst that Ive had either. the second night we had a thunder storm early evening and a bloke in the bar stated that it was raining . . . . in his bedroom! he showed me the pictures of the water coming through the ceiling and the flooded bathroom floor/sodden bedroom carpet. I felt blessed with our hovel of a room. Another stag party of 13 turned up there were no rooms for them, they had pre booked and paid in advance like we had, the hotel was over booked, they were not given any alternative but to try and find other accommodation else where. The hotel without a shadow of a doubt can only be described as a skanky Fawlty Towers but it was so bad that it was funny, we laughed a lot, didn't expect much and had a singing entertaining evening with the stags from Coventry in the early hours of Sunday morning in the bar. we only paid £70.00 each for 2 nights b&b. we didn't complain about what we had or didn't have, we went out and partied came back and partied some more, it was what it was and it didn't dampen our spirits. you want luxury pay more!

Room Tip: there really isn't a good room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bedworth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed here last weeknd in June on a stag doo, we had booked this hotel through a weekend organising group called amazing weekends, firstly if amazing weekends are reading this you need to take this hotel off your list!!

i had no expectations going in as it is a stag hotel and i hadnt the reviews on here but all i can say is, what an absolute disgrace this place is it basically resembles a sbig kip/victorian period squalor!. One good member of staff on the bar but the rest were either drunk or didnt have a clue! One lad in our group (who does like his food!!) said the breakfast was the worst thing he had ever tasted and would of preferred to eat dog poo!!

the room , wow, was a disgrace, four beds in a double room was intimate, windows that had to be supported by cans of carlsberg, beds collapsed, dubious stains on EVERYTHING, cold shower, no door on bathroom, no light in bathroom, door hanging off, roof coming in.

the last day summed it up, 4 of us roaming around the hotel because there was no staff anywhere! when one did turn up she was asked for a glass of lemonade by one of the lads and it took 4 or 5 goes to explain what we wanted! whole place made me very nervous and it was as if we were in some sketch show and the joke was on us. Decided to go back to the room and was soon accosted by some lad pilled out of his head who was talking absolute nonsense and kept cracking open the remaining cans of lager, turns out he lives there! as does the chef we find out, who i didnt see sober once all weekend!

all in all the place is a joke, i can look back now, laugh and think, im still alive but what the hell have i just stayed in!

Room Tip: get as far away from the place as possible
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

It is now rebadged as The Mint Hotel and Spa. Although we weren't allowed to use the Spa.

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago with a group of friends. The first impressions really lasted pulling into the car park at the rear. Boarded up doorways, dumped sofa's and mess everywhere.

Inside was just as bad. The TV was not secured to the wall correctly and was hanging over my bed. The portable aerial had to be balanced on top of the TV to get any sort of signal. The lock on the room was faulty, the shower was cold and only cold despite leaving it for a few minutes. The 'tea making' facilities were a joke and in general the room was filthy. Old beds and mattresses, mould and damp on the walls and ceilings, no coathangers, filthy carpets and curtains and the bathroom was vile. One toilet roll between three men for two nights.

The bar ran out of beer within an hour of getting there. Up to then it was flat too.

The reception/bar area was also filthy and the seating was damaged with legs missing. The walls were dirty and damaged.

Breakfast was a joke. Hot water via the coffee machine and instant coffee to add to it. The cooked breakfast was made with cheap supplies and when I asked for scrambled egg instead of poached they wouldn't make it.

I contemplated sleeping in the car on the second night as it was that bad.

Understand it's a budget hotel but for that I expect clean and pleasant surroundings. This place is nowhere near and in my opinion should not be open and serving customers. The place should be condemned.

Room Tip: Don't stay there!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

There are two things that I haven't marked the lowest score on for this hotel and that's location, because it's only a short walk from the beach; and service, because the barmaid was pretty good at her job. Everything else is beyond bad. I was there on a stag weekend so I was very drunk for 95% of the time I was in the hotel, which helped a lot. The rooms look like they are cleaned by my teenage daughter, used plates, cups and cutlery wouldn't have been out of place. Stained ceilings and dangerous socket outlets come as standard and that's before I mention the bathroom. The toilet worked which was a bonus as the hotel crammed four of us in a double room. However the shower was like washing your body under the tap, I'm still waiting to break out with legionnaires disease. Broken beds were also standard but I'm happy that our sheets didn't have funny coloured stains on. To summarise, this hotel is ideal for illegal immigrants and farm animals, nothing else. Which is probably close to what has stayed there because I have multiple bites on my legs which itch like hell, and I don't think it was my friends that bit me in the night.

• Stayed June 2014
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Me & My Husband stayed here in the downstairs room on the left, from Monday - Friday, with breakfast that we never once had, we had paid in advance, so couldnt get any money back when we arrived & saw the state the room, bed, bedding, bath had a shower hose that didnt fit the taps, we had 1 toilet roll. The waste bin was never emptied, we done this ourselves. Beds were never made, there was Tea Making Facilities, the Kettle was placed on a shelf underneath where we were to hang our clothes, so we got them steam cleaned every time we boiled the kettle. when we were leaving I brought the Man in from Reception, & asked him if he could fit the shampoo hose,( so called SHOWER) onto the bath taps (impossible). When I did ring after I got home, the message said high volume of calls & would get call back, (nothing) I said we would go to Trading Standards, but my Husband said write it off, but I see this Hotel is still open while in this state, they did show a nicely decorated room on the internet, but the photo must have come from another Hotel, we did see a notice in the SHACK, (bedroom) that if you wanted to tx through to the bar for a pint, it would cost you £1-50 for your message and they would bring the pint to your room, (fleecing Young People), I didnt like to touch anything in the place so we wouldnt have b/fast or a drink. If you want a Much Nicer Place to Stay, go & sleep in the Gardens. Should not be allowed to be called, St Michales Hotel, should be closed down

Room Tip: You would be lucky if you could find a decent room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Bear in mind that i'm writing this from a starting point of VERY LOW expectations. We wanted something cheap-ish for a Stag Do. You know: a room, four beds, a shower, sink etc. Thing is, the room looked like it's rented out as a crack den. The beds are half covered in disgusting stains, as are the walls. The Shower had zero power and could only be used by hand...and was tepid at best. The bathroom smelt like a cesspit. The TV wasn't even connected to an aerial and when I enquired, was laughed at with the comment "what do you expect here...". When checking out, with the usual under the bed look to make sure i've not forgotten something check, there was a tasty array of used tissues and other delightful items. The beer in the bar was flat and they ran out of the only two Lagers on our second night anyway. As for the breakfast. The sausage was potentially frozen back in Victorian times, left to thaw, then microwaved on full power for an hour, along with the poached egg. By taste along, likely the same nutritional value as a dead Pigeon after a week fermenting on the beach. Worst of all, I'm itching a fair bit after that stay. ALL OVER. I honestly can't believe we stayed there and have to admit, having been cynical about Trip Advisor before, realise that the number of terrible ratings this place received - now called the Mint Hotel so be warned - are totally justified. The owners do not deserve to be making any kind of income from such a vile, dangerously unhealthy, rip-off of a place. I wouldn't stay here again even if they paid me ANY amount of money. Did I mention the toilet in the bar? I'm not even going there.

Room Tip: Only visit if you wish to die in a terrible place
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Where to begin is the big question here! This hotel is an absolute shambles! There was 10 of us on a hen weekend! When we arrived the smell in the bar area was so hideous I was heaving! We had 3 rooms in the hotel 2 (one of which was the honeymoon suite) were in the basement! We walked down to a dark, dingy hallway with a massive stain in the carpet which resembled a murder scene!
First of all our room stank of damp, there was a massive hole in the wall behind one of the beds, the toilet brush hadn't been cleaned and was covered in poo, the windows didn't open, the mattresses had massive lumps on them but to add insult to injury the beds were crawling with ants and wood lice!! As the management refused to help I went to the local store to buy insect killer where the gentleman serving me asked if I was staying at the mint hotel! My room mate actually got on her hands and knees to clean the bathroom it was that filthy!

In the dining room the table cloths were dirty and there were tiles mission from the ceiling!

While we were there there was a stag party, one of the boys was asleep and the ceiling fell down on him, he was moved to another room but told not to use the bathroom as it had squirrels in there!

We were awoken by the police early hours of Sunday morning whilst the resident drug dealer was arrested!
The name is a shocker in itself the mint hotel and spa, there is no spa, or wifi !!

Paying for cheap, basic accommodation is fine but it should at least be clean ! This hotel is an absolute p&ss take and should be closed down! Photos to follow!

I have only rated it a 1 as I couldn't go any lower, unlike this hotel!!

• Stayed May 2014

Been to St Michaels Hotel? Share your experiences!