“Wouldn't stay here again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of St Michaels Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bournemouth
St Michaels Hotel
You added St Michaels Hotel to your Saves list
67 - 71 St Michaels Road, Bournemouth BH2 5DR, England   |
Ranked #61 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't stay here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

A few positives about this hotel are it is a 5 minute walk to the beach and the town centre and there are quite a few pubs and restaurants around. I stayed with a friend and we are both students so the price was brilliant - it worked out at £10 a night each. Continental breakfast is included although this consists of Asda value bread that you toast yourself and the choice of 2 cereals. I believe you can pay for a full English but I have no idea how you go about doing that and I can't imagine it would be that nice.

On arrival we were greeted straight away and shown to our room but we were given no information whatsoever - we were just told people would 'be around' if we needed anything. Therefore we had to go and find them to ask where breakfast was and what time. There was also a whiteboard in reception with a list of meals under each day and prices which we assumed they cooked but we were never told how we went about ordering this or what time dinner was and we chose to eat out every night anyway.

The room was VERY basic - don't expect any towels, shampoo/shower gel sachets or even a bin! There was a dressing table with no mirror or chair so that defeated the object. The beds were average - nothing good to say but nothing bad either. We had no shower so we both had to run a bath every night/morning and the mirror in the bathroom was cracked.

On our first day we opened the window to let some fresh air in but we couldn't shut it after; it was completely stuck and we were on the ground floor so it wasn't exactly safe. We wern't told what time they locked the main doors so some nights we could walk in but other nights we had to ring the doorbell and wait for someone to let us in.

At the end of the day we had a roof over our heads and somewhere to sleep but this hotel is far from decent but you get what you pay for. If I were to visit Bournemouth again I wouldn't come back here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a hen party. All we wanted was a basic place to sleep. The place is basic but seemed clean. No curtain in the bathroom (with a massive window to the carpark) and lack of staff to check in made it a little annoying but for price was not that bothered.

After our night out we crashed about 1.30am. All night long until 6.30am the place was VERY VERY NOISY! I am a deep sleeper but could not sleep at all. People were shouting, screaming, banging on the door all night long. The hotel were serving alcohol all night long and didnt seem to care about the noise. I was left to confront the other guests (mainly groups of men) and ask them to keep it down (which they didnt). Honestly, it was noisier than the nightclubs and the hotel staff clearly do not give a hoot! Avoid at all costs!!!

Room Tip: Avoid all rooms... You will have a better nights sleep sleeping in your car
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel back in June where upon arrival no one had a clue about our booking. They then put us in room 001 which as I found out later isn't even one they let out as its that bad.

So the second night they moved us to another room which in my opinion was even worse! The curtains were hanging off, you couldn't close the bathroom door, the beds fell through the tops and to top it off there were pubes on the bathroom floor!

Aparently this is the after care you get after they have lost your booking. We then found out later that night that the bulb didn't work in the room and it took us about 30 minutes to get one from a drunk member of staff that we found at the bar.

I then spoke to the owner who couldn't of been any more understanding and even offered us 3 nights of our choice in their honey moon sweet free of charge with a bottle of champaign on arrival. They showed us the room to re assure us (room 003) which was beautiful.

Soo along comes are free 3 nights, we double checked the booking the evening before just to be sure and " yes yes no problem" we arrive and guess what? Someone else is in our room and I'm now sat here in a so called replacement room waiting on a manager who no one knows if he is actuly coming back tonight!

I could go on and on how bad this place is. I've just given you the highlights as this review is long enough as it is. It's beyond me how they are still open when the road is lined with hotels. This place is a disgrace and should be shut down.

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

If there was a possibility of giving this hotel 0 stars I would of, the review below 'the Somme' is being incredibly generous, on our arrival to the hotel there was no one in reception but instead we had to check in at the bar, when we got our room keys (4 rooms for 8 of us) we walked up the staircase only to nearly break our ankles as one of my friends broke through a rotten step, we tried to out this past us and enjoy our night, but then it became worse, we entered the room that smelt like it hadn't been cleaned since the 1900's, pure must. 4 single beds for two people, seems normal right? But only three beds made with the dirty sheets hanging off, then we looked out the window to realise there were no curtains, brilliant. The shower was also an actual joke, would of rather not washed. I turned to my friend Gaz and muttered 'gaz gaz gaz gaz gaz' in a disappointed tone. After our night out we came back to the room to find that part of the ceiling had got progressively worse off and was inches from falling through, I was very scared at this point and debated sleeping in a gutter outside because it probably would of been cleaner. I honestly wouldn't wish my worst enemy to stay in this hotel. I didnt see one cleaner in the hotel, luckily we didnt have the pleasure of eating in the restaurant because we actually wanted to wake up the next day without food poisoning. This hotel is an actual joke. An actual terrible joke. I would highly recommend that the owners make a drastic career change because this just isn't for them. Trading standards should definitely close this place down. Embarrassed to say I've stayed here. It was literally like the elephant graveyard in lion king. Please don't book this hotel. Oh and the pool, (which luckily we didnt enter) is disgusting, I honestly thought if I entered it then my skin would start burning off or I would melt. Thanks St michaels hotel for the terrible stay that you gave us for two nights.

• Stayed August 2013
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Hands down the worst "hotel" I have ever stayed at. My first assumption was that the staff had taken the weekend off and simply left the keys in the door for the guests to help themselves. The reception area had no one available all weekend and people that I assume were meant to work there were drinking heavily. However, I was optimistic that the hotel itself could lift my spirits. I was wrong. Met with a strong smell of damp when I opened the bedroom door, it soon became apparent that I had wandered into a room that could break the morale of hardened criminals. The walls were stained with various substances, the carpet was dirty and where the ceiling was on the verge of collapse, I was worried that at some point during my stay I would be joined by the people from the room above. Curtains are clearly a luxury item of which you have to pre-book as an optional extra because our room (304) did not come with these included. The rest of the room was made up of beds, cupboards, a chest of drawers and a mirror all of which, of course, were broken. How this place has managed to stay open is beyond me. Overall I believe Bournemouth would be a better place if this hotel didn't exist.

Market Harborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel as the location was good and price low. Firstly, I am aware that it is under new ownership and the place is being done up which will be a massive and costly effort. I also believe some rooms have been improved but ours, number 201, was not one.

On the positive side the location was good and with parking. Also the staff were friendly and obliging but with the feel they were fighting a losing cause.

All public areas of the hotel were tired and needed a real deep clean, the room was awful, with the exception of the reasonable bathroom. No kettle or tv, no door on the wardrobe, a pair of leftover damp trainers, windows needed to be wedged open, dirty carpet, rubbish beds and linen, got a leak from the room above etc. Breakfast ok, but the worst sausages I've ever tasted.

What was irritating was having to ask for everything, toilet paper, kettle for the room and at breakfast each morning we had to ask for milk, bread, water or juice - they just need to look and keep these items stocked up.

Choose this place only if money is your only consideration.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
North Devon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I always have the attitude to ‘never judge a book by its cover’ but in this case, even though the outside was a mess, it was like Buckingham palace compared to the inside!

But where do i begin??

Main Lobby

 Stains on the carpet.
 Marks all over the walls
 Bodge tape all over the edges of the stair carpet
 Member of staff changing the fire alarm in the lobby, only for a fire officer to turn up and check it half an hour later..... Coincidence?
 If you wanted to see a member of staff you had to go to the bar area, not the reception desk.

Bedroom

 Could not close the window in the bedroom – we were on the ground floor and did not feel safe.
 No curtain/blind in window in bathroom – had to use a towel as a curtain or keep the bathroom door open against the window so no-one from outside could see in.
 Plaster falling off of the ceiling
 Shower not in proper use (no on/off switch or temperature gauge) – when we went to ask a member of staff how to use the shower her reply was “are you in room 104? You are going to need the pliers” to which she fetched a pair of pliers for us to use to turn the shower on and off!!!!!!
You were unable to move the shower at any time to be able to suit your height etc as it was fixed to the wall.
 Removed the plug from the shower tray (with the pliers) and it was absolutely disgusting!
 Kettle was full of limescale
 No handles on wardrobe doors
 No safety bar on the heavy fire door
 Blood stains and other marks on the mattresse
 Mark on the wall next to one of the heads of the beds to which we assume is a vomit stain
 We had to sleep on top of the beds and quilts and use our towels from home as blankets.
 We put the coffee table behind the door at night to feel a little safer, as there was a lack of security, front door was always left open at night also our room door could easily be opened if someone was to try, this then left us having to take all our valuables out with us.
 We bought our own anti-bacterial wipes to clean around the room as it was in an unfit state once we first entered the room; this was to only make ourselves feel a little better.
 Net curtains tied in knots and were filthy

Other

 Got told the heated swimming pool was out of order as a stag do from the week before had trashed it.
 Breakfast – didn’t chance eating it as if the bedrooms and rest of the hotel were in such a blatant state, we dread to think what it was like in the kitchen. Also, the sign on the door made the alarm bells ring (see picture) – obviously feel like they have something to hide!

Also, advertised on the website “After arriving at St Micks, we will promptly get you checked in and ensure the "Bride to Be", and "Maid of Honour" is greeted with a nice surprise in there room. We will have a chilled bottle of bubbly, and a chocolate box filled of different selections as a welcome gift” The bride to be and the maid of honour were defiantly greeted with a surprise, but it wasn’t a nice one!

If the above wasn’t bad enough, we had appalling customer service from every member of staff and at times this made us feel very uneasy. The staff were lying around on the sofas and one member of staff was carrying out a check of the building. A member of our group asked what it was for and he said “I’m checking the fire alarms and making sure there isn’t any smoke. I don’t really do it though, I just make it up”. To which our reply was “oh great, we feel a lot safer now then in the event of a fire”.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to St Michaels Hotel? Share your experiences!