“Two-night stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ocean View Hotel

You added The Ocean View Hotel to your Saves list
The Ocean View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth BH1 3AR, England (Formerly Ocean View Hotel Bournemouth)   |
Ranked #39 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
London, United Kingdom
“Two-night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here on the spur-of-the-moment. The hotel is in need of a refurbishment and our room, though somewhat old-fashioned, was spotless. Would recommend that the bathroom should be tiled rather than a tatty carpet. The Staff were delightfully helpful and of course, the view is wonderful. The weather was on our side and sitting by the pool was delightful.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the sea
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
EastcliffProject, Manager at The Ocean View Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I'm glad that we were able to move you to a room that you were pleased with. Our sea facing bedrooms with balconies have wonderful views don't they and the balconies are of a generous size.

We are aware that some of the bedrooms need modernising and we are gradually working through them, we do have refurbished sea facing bedrooms so it's always worth booking a sea view or perhaps asking on check in and we will always try our best to accommodate requests where possible.

Best wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Stratford upon Avon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Had a 4night break as a treat for my 65th birthday hotel very dated we complained about the first room given to us,and was moved to another with a sea view not a refurbished room but clean, staff were very pleasant food was lovely and a good location,we would go back but would ask for a room that was refurbished

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room with sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hayes Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

A last minute booking and a holiday for the first time in 16 years without children in one of the hottest weeks in July probably added to me and my husband having a great 6 nights stay at the Ocean View. What this hotel may lack in décor and technology they definitely make up for in their staff commitment to customer service. We found the receptionist (young Welsh lady) particularly helpful and 3 serving staff who worked also in the Garden restaurant - 2 young men (1 from Slovakia who was leaving to start an apprenticeship called Vladmir and 1 from the Czech republic possibly called Matt) along with a polish girl who all could not do enough to ensure we had a lovely time. There was a manager who reminded us a bit of Dale Winton we think is called Paul who seemed to work tirelessly between the 2 hotels to accommodate the guests. The location of the hotel is superb and we would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Myself, my boyfriend and 9 family members stayed here for 2 nights as part of an annual weekend away and first impressions of the hotel were disappointing as it was very old fashioned and miserable looking. However, our room was big enough for the 2 of us (a double and a single bed?) and was clean and tidy. Unfortunately, not all of our windows opened and therefore the room was like a sauna as there was no air con either. Therefore, we resulted to asking for a fan which was provided no problem although it was a desk fan but better then nothing?! The decor was very very old fashioned and scabby looking and the hotel is in major need of a complete makeover! Our tv didn't work, the shower leaked and we couldn't turn off the heated towel rail in the bathroom so that made our room even hotter! We were also kept awake most of the night by people shouting and screaming in the early hours outside the hotel which isn't the hotels fault but because the rooms are so hot, you have no choice but to leave the windows open! I would not stay at this hotel again and I would not recommend it either.

SwUK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We were booked into this hotel by a holiday sales company,for a 2 night 3 day stay. When I was booking the dates with the sales company I did inform them that I use an electric wheelchair and need space for my large van which has a lift and ramp to get my chair in mad out. I was assured that neither of these would cause a problem.
We got to the hotel to discover 7-8 lovely steps up to reception. My husband/carer went up to see what we were to do. Someone came and showed Keith the back/wheelchair entrance he had a look and thought it was very unlikely that my chair would fit not even my manual one would fit. We have had large wheelchairs down here before with no problems he was told.
Bear in mind that we are used to wheelchairs as I have been using one since the mid 1990's.
So I went and tried to see if I would fit, no way there was nowhere near enough room for me to do the 90%turns that we're needed.
Keith went back to reception and the duty manager was called. The. Receptionist was trying to get in contact with the sales company so we wouldn't lose our deposit. The manager was talking about having a ramp built to get me up the stairs. That would mean you would have to lose the use of 2 parking spaces and once in the hotel would I be able to get around? Oh you wouldn't fit in the lift so I suggested ther was no point in making the ramp.
Who decides whether somewhere is wheelchair suitable or not. I have had this happen so often now it is putting me off believing anything that is said about disabled friendly.
Surely it should be someone who is truly disabled not an expert!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This place has no internet connection, so if you need to communicate with the rest of the world for instance work, then avoid this place. When you ask the management about the lack of internet connection they just try to avoid the issue. The Tv and room phone never worked.
The rooms are old and outdated as well so my impression is not good. We were supposed to stay for 3 days but checked out the day after arriving.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights from 18th until 20th of July. Staff was very nice and helpful. Room was big enough to fit baby's cot and it still had lots of free space afterwards. Room's deco was dated, but it wasn't a big deal for us. After our daughter fallen asleep, we could enjoy the sea view from balcony and this was more important! The state of the balcony was not too great, but good enough for our needs and when we asked for chairs on balcony, it was provided without any problems. There were things which could be better, like working showerhead holder, but in general it was great and we might come back to the hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ocean View Hotel? Share your experiences!