“Absolute Perfection!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Urban Beach Hotel

You added The Urban Beach Hotel to your Saves list
The Urban Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   23, Argyll Road, Bournemouth BH5 1EB, England   |
Ranked #32 of 152 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“Absolute Perfection!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Visiting the Christchurch Food and Wine festival and pretty much decided last minute to stay overnight - found Urban Beach online with one room left at a reasonable price so booked it quick!! Didnt really know what to expect but we were wowed by the whole place.

Its a boutique hotel but with a really informal feel based around all things beach and sea - there are surfboards etc in the restaurant/bar area as well as beautiful contemporary flower displays which makes for an interesting mix. Quirky notes are left around the hotel area for the guests, for example there is a row of wellies you can borrow to just go and jump in the sea cos its good for you!!! and a huge range of DVDs you can borrow for your room (so long as you put them back so they dont have to be a grown up hotel and charge a deposit at reception) :)

Upon arrival we were greeted like old friends by Mark and Helen which was lovely. Check in was easy peasy and the room (room 9) was beautifully kitted out and decorated (if a little small but nonetheless perfectly formed) and very clean. Booking last minute meant we got the last room in the house and I expect they get a lot of repeat business here where customers book the rooms they know and like so we will book earlier next time to get a bigger room (rooms 2 and 3 I believe or room 7 which is a split level room).

The cocktails here are awesome, expectly made by James who is a really friendly mixologist for whom nothing is too much trouble (even for a fussy so and so like me). Watch out for the Dirty Dog Vespa, not for the faint hearted and the Bloody Mary (one of the best I have ever tasted). Drink your cocktails on the sunny and patio heated decking at the side of the hotel. Every detail at this hotel is spot on right down to the management leaving fleeces out on the outside benches just in case you get cold - WOW :)

We ate in the hotel that evening and, again, the food was of excellent quality and very reasonably priced.

Breakfast next day was really special - they say they have the best breakfasts on the planet and they are not far wrong!! Great choice and quality of food again.

In short, great hotel, beautifully done out with amazing staff who clearly enjoy working there - we will be back with friends once the summer arrives!!!

Only criticism, and its so tiny and miniscule I almost feel bad mentioning it but everything else was so perfect........ ask the cleaner to just run a feather duster over the venetian blinds in the room and down the sides of the main stairs a bit more often....... :(

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
South West England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stay in a lot of hotels all over the world and always are looking for a few things: A big comfy bed, great bathroom and a boutique feel as opposed to the awful corporate giants that pass for 4 and 5 star simply because they have a pool a gym and plenty of lifts!

This hotel had all of the things we want including a warm welcome and a refreshing approach to customer care that we loved. The great cocktail menu and large outside seating area in the sun helped too!

The only thing that stops this getting a 5 is that the restaurant is in need of a re-furb having torn seats etc (but they know this as there was a sign up saying they were undergoing work) and a warning that, as a trendy bar, there would be noise til late in the evening. That said, it didn't bother us (over 40 doesn't mean middle aged and frumpy thank you!) and the room amenities more than made up for it! Will definitely stay again. Loved Room 3 - if wanted a quieter night would be not directly over bar next time. Thank you to the wonderfully warm staff - who all managed to make us feel as if they really cared and we really mattered to them. SO rare unfortunately in this country.

Room Tip: Room 3 is the biggest and best but it is over the bar so don't choose it if you are a light slee...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Urban Beach Hotel for one night further to a friend's recommendation. We were really impressed with the hotel, on booking I could see from the website what room we would be in - and I was particularly impressed with was the Manager being quite honest when I called her and advising that it was their smallest room - Room 10. I thought it was just lovely though, had everything you would need, and was really nicely decorated too.
The Hotel has its own on site restaurant and outside seating area - both were really nice and had a great feel about them - I can imagine the outdoor area being great in the summer months. It was pretty quiet and also located in a great area - I don't know a great deal about Boscombe but the hotel is located between the high street and the beach area (Which itself it so nice!!-we would 100% go back to both Boscombe and stay at this hotel again)

My only criticism of the hotel relates to their restaurant food - we decided to eat here in the evening for our main meal, and the food was really disappointing. Because of how lovely the hotel is, and the great atmosphere in the restaurant I expected so much more - and also the price of the main meals indicated we would be in for a great meal. Our starters weren't too bad - not amazing, but certainly nothing to complain about, however, for my main meal I had a Thai green chicken curry - priced at £14.00, I think this is really expensive, I would normally expect to pay £9/£10 for this meal, but it was so flavourless and bland, the rice had gone dry and the poppadoms really oily!! I didn't mention anything to the staff as I hate to come across as difficult, but with hindsight I probably should have. My partner had a corn-fed chicken dish, he said this was nice, but nothing particularly exciting, and again, for the price was certainly not value for money. We also had to wait a really long time between courses - I don't mind a small wait, but it was quite a while, the restaurant was really busy, but I don't know if that justifies the wait when the food isn't even that great.

I would like to mention however, that the Restaurant did redeem itself in the morning with the breakfast that we had - this was included in the room price and was very, very good. Had we been paying for breakfast the prices were much more reasonable than their evening menu prices too. Also the staff we all friendly, helpful and professional.

Room Tip: When booking via the website you can see pictures of all of the different rooms - so it is easy to p...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dorset, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed for one night with my wife and four children. It’s a great hotel in a good location and only a short walk from Boscombe beach. When you arrive it looks like a surfers/beach bar and this theme is carried on internally and very tastefully…… it’s a place that you immediately feel chilled and relaxed in and this is helped by the staff
I have to say, from the initial enquiry all the way through to the end of our stay the staff were fantastic, they were really were very friendly, helpful, attentive, knowledgeable and interested
Rooms were excellent, not huge but more than enough room (after all they got four kids in one room!) and very nicely finished and decorated. And of course they were immaculately clean.
We eat at the hotel and the food overall was good, my sons burger was fantastic a real proper tasty burger, my daughter could have done with a bit more pasta (kids meal, perhaps we should have got her an adult one) but our fish was great and the chips were excellent!
Breakfast was excellent, proper food with provenance and great coffee.
Throughout our stay we felt comfortable and at ease, it really is a great little place and we WILL be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Crowthorne, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I first visited Urban Beach 7 years ago and have returned several time since. The experience is always comfortable, friendly, professional and yet personal. Mark and his team all demonstrate tat great customer care separates the good from the brilliant. Breakfast is superb but it's the cocktails that I'll be going back for. Well, those and the boutiquey, classy rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had our wedding reception in the sister restaurant urban reef at Boscombe beach followed by a night in the urban beach hotel. The food and drink was fantastic and the service from staff, manager and the owner was 1st rate.
The rooms were really clean and tidy and finished in a tasteful style. If you visit this hotel, you'll be pleasantly surprised with all the subtle but important 'touches' that the staff and hotel has to offer!
We now regularly go for dinner at both the urban beach hotel and urban reef restaurant with our family including 2 young children (very family friendly). Prices of food and drink are very good with excellent presentation. The cost of the room is reflected in the high standard.
For anyone who knows Boscombe it has changed alot in the past 10 years (for the better) and now is the most culturally diverse area in Bournemouth. Urban beach is in the middle of this between the centre and the beach front. Bournemouth beach or town is just a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel too.
We would highly recommend this hotel & restaurant to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012
Mechelen, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here overnight on a business trip. Friendly staff, very nice room, very good breakfast (albeit not the "best in the world" as the sign outside claims),

Will admit that the first impression was not great - it's not located in the nicest-looking street, and when I was there, the terrace was undergoing construction. Once inside, however, this was immediately dispelled - the bar/dining are is quite cosy.

If I ever need to be in Bournemouth again, I'll certainly book here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Urban Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!