“Good facilities and quiet location but ....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Village Urban Resort Bournemouth

You added Village Urban Resort Bournemouth to your Saves list
Village Urban Resort Bournemouth
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Wessex Fields, Deansleigh Rd, Bournemouth BH7 7DZ, England (Formerly De Vere Village Bournemouth)   |
Ranked #43 of 76 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Good facilities and quiet location but ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Me and wife stayed here on the 18th July for two nights, the hotel was in a good location and the gym and pool was very nice.
On Friday we turned up we though we get a bar meal, the food was very poor, so on the Saturday night we went over the road to the harvester which was much better.
The room itself was ok the bathroom could of done with a good going over tho, bit grubby.
All in all pretty average for what we paid.

• Stayed July 2014
VillageVBO, General Manager at Village Urban Resort Bournemouth, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for you positive remarks about our facilities and location.

Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards in the Victory Pub, and for that I sincerely apologise. We are continually monitoring our standards so that we can improve the service we provide to our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Portsmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I've stayed at several of the hotels in this chain over recent years and while this is a perfectly 'OK' hotel, it's the least impressive of all those I have stayed in.
The pool is pretty basic and quite small when compared to others - 3 lanes of fairly attricious swimming going on and no chance to just float and mess about in my own ponderous way.

The dinner was uninspiring and lacking in any real quality despite the price and to serve a 6 year old wine at the top end of the price list which clearly says on it should be drunk within 3-5 years, left me feeling quite sorry for the restaurant manager when this was pointed out.

Breakfast was the usual mix of cold and heated stuff with the heated stuff well worth avoiding.

In room drinks were again the usual chronic mix of cheap tea and undrinkable instant coffee. While the ironing board and iron were old, barely functional and well past their useful life. Rubbish selection of TV channels and a barely functional remote control. However, the room was a good size and it was comfortable enough.

The staff were all perfectly pleasant and were very helpful when required for a taxi or local information. In itself, that is enough to know I have no problem re-visiting the place. But for such a well respected chain, I think there is certainly a bunch of simple improvements the hotel could make to bring it up to the standards expected.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of the hotel.

We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better. You will be happy to know that, as a result of guest feedback like yours, we have implemented the following changes:
- new remote controls are being put into the bedrooms
- iron and ironing boards are being checked for their functionality

You may be interested to know about our Upper Deck upgrade which amongst other things offers full Sky TV channels and Starbucks coffee in the room.

I am pleased to read that you are a regular visitor to our hotels and I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Bournemouth in the near future.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

my boyfriend and i recently stayed at this hotel for three nights over a weekend and having stayed at other village hotels around the country, i expected better.
the rooms were spacious and very clean and the housekeepers very helpful. the beds were very comfortable and there are a lot of facilities available. it is a well situated hotel and almost directly next to the Royal Bournemouth Hospital.

ISSUES:
Rooms:
-the rooms were very noisy, there was a dog staying in the room opposite which was barking between 2 and 4am each night of our stay.
-there was constant banging in the rooms above and you could hear people walking around their rooms above.
-you could hear people walking past our room.

RESTAURANT:
it took a long time to be seated for breakfast each morning. even though there were lots of places to sit, in the end we just went and sat down of our own accord on the last day and other people also did the same.

BAR AREA:
the bar area was filthy, with an ice cream cone left on the table melted and was not cleaned up for the duration of our time in the bar. there were plate and drinks left on tables and i had to ask for a cloth to clean my own table
the food service was slow.

ROOM SERVICE:
we ordered room service and the pizza was cold that we ordered and we waited 45 minute for the food. they also put ice in the drink when asked not too.

RECEPTION STAFF:
the reception staff, when checking out asked how our stay was and we informed them of the above and he did not seem too bothered and said that he could only apologise
(my brother, heavily pregnant sister in law and very young niece were staying in room next to our room and also had the same experience)

i have stayed in other village hotels previously and have never had this sort of experience. i was very disheartened and it is very unlikely that we would stay here again.

Room Tip: chose a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We take all feedback seriously and sincerely regret we have not met your expectations on this occasion.

We apologise for the disturbances you have experienced and will gladly allocate one of our quieter rooms upon request for your next visit.

Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards in the Victory Bar and Room Service and this has been reviewed with both the Bar and Room Service Manager.

I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to demonstrate our normal standards of service.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Hotel looks fairly modern and has quite a few nice little touches e.g. an on-site bar / restaurant / leisure facilities / starbucks (not sure whether this is in all Village Urban hotels as this is my first time staying in one). The rooms that we booked were comfortable enough and spacious for what we wanted - personally I think they could spend a bit more on getting some more luxurious toilet paper though. Also going up and down to the rooms could often be a drag with only one lift there was often a bit of a wait for it to arrive as clearly others were also trying to get the lift on different floors as well. On the first night we ate in the bar, the food sizes were good and price wasn't too bad, however coming from up north I was very shocked at the prices of drinks being as expensive as they were, a coke, a tap water, a wine and soda and a beer cost £16! Additionally I just think the bar staff really weren't that interested, they obviously had a new member of staff serving us who to be honest didn't have a clue whatsoever and on our second night when we returned to the pub for a couple of drinks the bar staff were much more interested in chatting up a group of females that were also in their having a drink, than paying attention to others that needed serving. On the second night we went into the restaurant for food, to be honest on reflection wish we'd either returned to the bar for a second meal or gone out of the hotel as the food wasn't that great and the portion sizes were quite small as well as being over priced. However on the plus side children under 5 eat free which was a nice gesture. The restaurant area is also where you get your breakfast in the morning - there is plenty of choice but for me I would have liked it all situated together in one place and perhaps with some spare knives next to the toast machine. Only tried out the pool within the leisure facilities and the complimentary towel to use is a nice touch rather than having to use your own, and a decent size. Overall this hotel has lots of promise just a shame about the staff being a bit lackluster.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of Village Urban Resort Bournemouth.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the range of facilities on offer including our Victory Pub, Verve Grill Restaurant, Velocity Fitness Club and Starbucks store. All of our resorts except Liverpool have an on-site Starbucks store, however they do have an on site coffee outlet.

We have recently completed a review of our drinks prices across all of our hotels and I am pleased to say that we have now introduced new wine lists which offer more competitively priced wines than previously.

We take all feedback very seriously and your comments have enabled us to identify further training for out team, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I often find it hard to write bad reviews as you can see from my profile, but this place was terrible for a meal.

The hotel itself was enjoyable, the pool and sauna were a nice relaxing break away and the room was cheap and comfortable.

But the meal was really poor. The table was lit up like a football stadium with blinding lights above you. I ordered ribs, not available, so burger was the next option. It was pretty greasy with the bread wet and falling apart. My partner had meatballs, again the meat was really dry and the pasta stuck in a lump on the plate.

For desert I ordered the creame brûlée which can only be described as a brick lump in a bowl. I left it and the waitress was pleased to announce that they wouldn't bill me for it as a gesture of goodwill, lucky me

I wouldn't eat here again even if the whole meal was free

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback following a recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you found the hotel enjoyable overall.

Clearly we were not performing to our usual standards with regards to the food you ordered, and for that I sincerely apologise. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our restaurant manager and head chef.

We use all constructive feedback to find ways to improve both the service and products we provide and I can assure this has been the case in this instance.
Tenerife, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed one night while on business in UK. Rooms are clean, modern and comfy. Usual tea/coffee facilities. Spa very welcoming after a long day. Had a snack in the bar, very nice. Breakfast good plenty of choice. Staff very friendly. No issues with this hotel would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
VillageVBO, General Manager at Village Urban Resort Bournemouth, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with the team at the hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed here 2 nights for business and enjoyed my stay.

The check in was fast and efficient and was served by a friendly guy at the desk.

Lets get the negative out the way, the hotel needs modernising, the rooms were looked old and tired, with wallpaper peeling and grotty carpets and furniture but am certain that it was clean.

On the first night i decided to eat at the on site sports bar and had a brilliant experience. The staff were really friendly and went out of their way to make us comfortable. I had a variety of starters and a burger for mains which were all very good. They had a great selection of drinks which were a little over priced but expected at hotels. They had plenty of screens to watch the football which was an added bonus.

On the second night my group decided to book the VIP football experience, which basically means for a group of at least 8 it costs £5 per person for a drink plus the hire of a conference suite with a large plasma showing the football. You also get waiter service and can include food into the package if required. This was a brilliant experience which all the group loved as it guaranteed a good seat, large screens and choice of all the drinks from the sports bar. We were really looked after especially from the bar manager and team who went out of their way to ensure we had a great time.

In summary, if you are not after a glamorous room, but want great service and facilities i would highly recommend a visit here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback about the hotel and the team members you met during your stay. We strive to deliver memorable guest experiences and I am pleased this was the outcome of your stay.

We are always looking at ways to modernise, and indeed improve, the facilities we provide at the hotel. We take pride in delivering a high standard of housekeeping and we look for opportunities to upgrade areas of the hotel when we can.

I am pleased to say we have just completed the refurbishment of our Meetings & Events Hub which has included redecoration and new carpeting throughout, as well as installation of new carpeting in the main hotel stairways. This month we are installing new sofa bed mattresses to provide our guests with a more comfortable experience in our family rooms. We continually work a schedule of room checks and general maintenance upgrades through the year.

I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.