“Good stay :)” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 151 Bournemouth B&B and Inns
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Good stay :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Have just come back from a weekend stay here with 12 hens. Had a wicked time, and from booking and upon arrival, the owner (Chrissy) and her daughter were friendly and helpful; everyone had their own keys which is needed in a big group. Gave us great advice on taxis (what to expect to not get ripped off), maps, etc...

Well priced, very clean, comfy beds and the continental breakfast was enough to see you through to lunch - even after a few cocktails the night before!! :)
I would stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
ChelseaBournemouth, Owner at Chelsea Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stayed here few weeks back with friends, had an amazing time here and everyone was really friendly.

I guess having strangers in your home you have to be known not to be a push over and coming down in a large group there's no balance, i don't understand felt like children? the landlady has to tell you about the room keys as there were 2 and of course etc i would have rather listened then break them, very tidy and clean. Also Very helpful in booking places for us to go, I guess the poor comments are only ones that think they should get away with breakages, smoking in the rooms, and bringing strangers back! i would'nt have it either.

Very happy will be back :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

The most badly run, unproffesion and miss-represented place I've stayed in in the uk.
Upon arrival we were greeted with hotel managers gran children running around and even 1 year old crawling behind bar and playing with bottles of beer. The dinning room shrewn with drying bed sheets. We we're then given a bunch of keys we had to spend 30 minutes attaching to key rings. Once in the "4 bedroom rooms" we found camp z beds lined together that soon collapsed if your heart would beat to heavy or your breath to hard. Most rooms had no bathroom or toilet facilities. As for being close to the beach, I'm sure everywhere is close to the beach by taxi. Was a 45 minute walk away.
The service was appalling with the manager exploiting any way possible to make extra £ ( charging £25 for lost key).
Rude, simple and arrogant manager. At times it felt like residing at fawlty towers.
Avoid at all costs

• Stayed May 2012
ChelseaBournemouth, Owner at Chelsea Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
15 guys booked in on the Fri EARLY, so not all rooms were completed when they arrived. ONLY 12 actually stayed the full weekend, and enjoyed themselves, and TOTALY agreed with the POLICE asking 3 of them to leave, as after only a few hours after checking in, they decided to have a BAR B CUE in the ROOM, seting off all the Fire Alarms, smoke throughout the Hotel. then they legged it through the window for half an hour. There pals could not believe what they had done, and did not know WHY, as they had just all come back from a meal in town.
Keys fobs have 2 keys on them one for the front door to come and go as you please, and the other for the room.
I have 8 en suite rooms, + 1 room that has its own bathroom next to it and JUST ONLY 2 rooms that share a bathroom 1 right next to the room. MY grandchildren were staying for the day with me, and it was not even midday when they arrived. ALL rooms are ready for guests at 2pm each day, NOT before noon, but I will always except groups and give keys out, so they can carry on with there day. The beach and town center IS ONLY 10 to 15 minutes walk depending how fast or slow you walk. I have a couple of folding beds used on weekends only, and THEY HAVE FULL NORMAL MATTRESS'S ON THEM. I had no problems with the rest of the group, who were actually a nice bunch of Guys that could'nt stop apologising for there mates. Also had NO problems with the other group that stayed Fri/Sat. I then had another 2 groups for the Sun/Mon Bank Hols, no Problems at all, everyone enjoyed themselvs and thanked me.
So as you see this guy and his 2 mates had a grudge to bear, as do some others that have caused damage, and been charged for repairs ect.
St Albans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I booked the Chelsea for 14 people for a stag weekend and don't have a complaint. Clean and friendly with no problems others have mentioned.

It's not the Ritz, but it doesn't claim to be. If you are looking for a quiet and luxury room, probably not for you, but if you need somewhere to sleep and a base to party from, perfect.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in August and would never stay again, and I would not recommend it to ANYONE.

Quite frankly the landlady is an old hag. “It” treated me and my friends like school children. Red out the full rule book to us before handing over the keys. Was so inflexible like at Breakfast time. We ask if it could be served 15 minutes later than her set times (8:30 – 9:15). No way hosay, dare I ask again!!! NEVER. The rooms are tiny and the beds are very uncomfortable. The showers well, a dripping tap would provide more.

And to top off the terrible experience, after arriving home, after a week or so I received a letter from said Hag stating that she has charged me £20 for a cigarette burn in a net curtain. And actually took the money out of my account before informing me. Now surely she should take a photo, provide me with proof first. Thing is I don’t even smoke. And she stated that she has “been reasonable” as she was entitled to take a full £100 bond for damage. £20 for a net curtain is not reasonable.

Avoid this place at all costs. A nasty experience all round.

Room Tip: None. Choose none. Dont stay here
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
I don't have a rule book, I try to be helpful. All groups sign as in other Hotels a "Group Booking Bond" against any loss or damage to the Hotel, no money is ever taken as a bond, and the GBB is only used when there is damage or loss. Party leaders who organise the weekend normally have no problem, and is why they sign it after I have sent it in the post for them to read, with there confirmation letter. If damage is done then photos are always taken for the Guests. I just cant please everyone.
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Ive stayed in many hotels over the years, ranging from cramped b&b's to 5 star hotels. I dont think i have ever stayed in a worse hotel in all my life. The rooms are dirty, smells awful, breakfast was terrible and as for the staff!!! the owner was the rudest woman i have met, unhelpful, dishonest and very agressive and as for the language she uses! When i complained she told me 'if i didnt like it then leave'. The area im told is also in the most run down area of bournemouth. I wish i had read reviews on here before booking. I know its cheap but i would rather stay in a cardboard box, just like some of the residents do around this area. Stay away, you have been warned!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
I honestly do not remember this guest. What I do know is my rooms do not smell. We have Housekeepers in every day, and they like I, like to keep the rooms fresh and clean for all guests on arrival. I never use bad language, and the area I live in is not run down.
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I have to admit that reading some of the previous reviews I had misgivings about this hotel but I neednt have worried as it 'did a job'.If you're looking for 4 star luxury you will be disappointed but for £35 per night each it was perfectly adequate.

I was one of 20 on a week end stag do and from my perspective it served its purpose.Chrissy saw the majority of the group when we arrived and it was all good and relevant information--I shared a room with 2 others and although it was cosy it was perfectly adequate---the beds and toilet were clean and the bathroom had a seperate shower and we were provided with clean fresh towels.The room also had tea/coffee making facilities and very adequate storage space.Each of us had our own key to the front door and room.
The continental breakfast was also good and there was plenty for everyone--although you only had between 0830 and 0915 it seemed ok and those that couldnt get up made their way to a local Weatherspoons for a cooked breakfast.Its a short walk to the station and the bars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments.

Been to Chelsea Hotel? Share your experiences!