“Lovely location - but ....” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Lodge at Meyrick Park to your Saves list
The Lodge at Meyrick Park
Central Drive, Bournemouth BH2 6LH, England   |
Tiverton, United Kingdom
“Lovely location - but ....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

The place looks very pleasing though rustic. We enjoy that type of location and our room overlooked the 18th hole some 50 or so yards away. Very nice view from the window (Room number 4).

Very quiet and calm, room was at right temperature for us. Bed was two singles pushed together - bit disappointing as we booked a double.

Furniture chipped - hole in the carpet - grubby around the light switches - crumbs on the seats and down the back - chipped at bottom of bathroom door and a lick of paint would be good on door surround - shower didn't work properly as it wouldn't switch from the taps filling the bath to the shower-head. Bathroom clean but at bottom of walls close to floor (where it requires diligence and effort to keep clean, the grouting was grubby though not exceptionally - hmmmm)

Would we come back again - yes but please sort these silly things out and we would mark you as great stuff.

Wife had a very good pedicure, manicure and massage and towels in room were great.

Come on guys pull your fingers out!

Additionally, area outside at back of kitchen or below it was dismal when viewed from above - so get it sorted please.

No, NONE, Disabled parking and golfers and a Taxi driver were using spaces in front of the hotel!!

Bar staff - some were chatty enough but tendency was to serve - take money and bugger off somewhere! Why? If I want to drink without sparkling company, I buy from supermarket and drink in my room UNLESS with my wife. Of course!

My wife said she had a very good pedicure and manicure and then a massage. She very much enjoyed all. The massage was a real treat for her as well.

I wandered around and liked the look of the pool and the gym looked really well equipped but there was no viewing area for either.

Bar was clean and tidy though papers were well worn and grubby at 8 in the evening (buy 2 of everything and change after lunch??)

We didn't make use of the sauna but why the "clothes must be worn policy". Men are always very pleased to see my wife without in the saunas we visit occasionally; even offer her a seat between them and chat away incessantly.

Must be a British thing unfortunately!

We liked the place and hope for better managing please.

Room Tip: Number 4 looks out onto the 18th hole only 50 yards away
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

After having read quite a few positive reviews on this venue I booked in for an overnight weekend stay since all centrally located hotels were around £120 a night and this was £89. Our benchmark at this rate is Premier Inn standard (Travelodge at worst) and I was expecting something along the same lines. On first appearances this was a very cosy lodge type room however as the stay progressed we became aware of the following, which wouldn't have really bothered us if the room was half it's price per night:

1. The towel rail in the bathroom didn't work
2. The shower curtain was covered in soap scum and orange body fats that stuck it together
3. There was significant mildew above the shower
4. The kettle was directly below the TV and since there were no other useable plug sockets in the room we had to make sure the TV wasn't on when we boiled the kettle as steam and electricity do not mix!!
5. The TV was at such a high and odd angle that it made it difficult to watch from bed
6. The bedside light didn't work
7. The bed mattresses were so soft I wouldn't have been able to sleep on them for more than 1 night as they offered absolutely no back support - as it was I had significant neck ache the following day
8. The headboard was attached to the wall with a gap of about an inch that was exposed. Whilst looking for another plug socket I noticed how disgusting the area behind the bed looked as it was filled with dirt and cobwebs. If you're going to have this type of area on display at least keep it clean! If not then box it in.
9. The light switches that operated the main lights were situated at pillow high and built into the headboard. This meant they were easy to catch with your hand during the night and potentially could be painful if you caught your head on them.

Whoever designed the room layout didn't really think - and it was oddly drafty too, which was odd as no windows were open. Add to that the extremely odd way the room payment was taken a second time during check in and the original payment cancelled, and overall it was a distinctly average to below average stay.

Initially it looked Premier Inn standard, but after a few minutes the cracks showed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Southcoast UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for one night with my boyfriend, we had a standard double room which had a large king size bed, small tv and coffee facilities. the room was clean and had a nice view over the golf course.

the swimming pool facilities on site are fantastic and worth a visit.

good location, will be returning for our 1 year anniversary next month.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hemel hempstead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I went for a two day break to Bournemouth and stayed at the Lodge at Meyrick Park. The room was comfortable and clean and had all the facilities of a hotel room. The staff at reception, the golf shop and the Spa, bar and restaurant were very helpful and friendly. We did not play golf but there is very nice municipal golf course with the first tee and golf shop 5-10 metres from our rooms door. (Ideal for a golf break.) The two nights cost us £78. This was just for the room but you could have breakfast, Lunch and dinner at the restaurant. The cost of our room also allowed us to use all the facilities in the spa including the good sized gym, 19m swimming pool and the numerous fitness classes that ran morning afternoon and evening. We decided to walk into Bournemouth which only took us 10 minutes to the centre and 15 minutes to the seafront. We could park outside the lodge so we could take advantage of the many restaurants, bars and entertainment in Bournemouth. The lodge was also well positioned to take the car and visit, Poole, Boscombe, Swanage and other areas of Bournemouth. The Sandy banks to Studland ferry was a short drive which is also good for access to Corfe castle, Lulworth Cove and other coastal and inland attractions in Dorset. We had a great break with plenty of sea air and some sunshine.

Room Tip: Room 7 was well positioned.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Booked late same eve and drove down to get a good nights sleep before flight on holiday from Bournemouth Airport. short drive to airport which avoided morning traffic! Very good value for money £29 as week night! Stayed in room 1. Very comfy BIG bed. Tea/ coffee and biscuits.
Didn't use facility's on site so can't comment!
Only gripe was no curtain or blind of any sort on bathroom! Even though probably couldn't see from outside still felt uncomfortable to shower.

• Stayed April 2013
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked this but was told on the confirmation email that the swimming pool could not be used by children except for a few hours in the afternoon on Saturday and again on Sunday. This was obviously going to be a problem as we had booked in to stay on a weekday.

As it was a weekday, basically my son would not have been allowed to use the swimming pool!

I rang to cancel and they were reluctant at first, saying it was on the website that it was "adults only" use of the pool on weekdays, but I told them I did not see this condition when booking with Hotels.com, except when I was informed of this on my confirmation sheet, by which time I had already paid online.

I know hotels do restrict some hours children may use the pool, which seems fair enough e.g. no children after 7 p.m. etc. But not to the extent of only allowing them 6 hours per week at the weekend seems very mean-spirited.

If the proprietors do not want children to use the swimming pool, then could they not clearly make it an adults-only hotel. What are children supposed to do Monday to Friday? Sit and watch their parents swim?

A refund was agreed eventually by the hotel and Hotels.com, but only after I told the receptionist I was getting quite angry at this. I thought it was a very poor show all-round, and something I have never come across before. It was then of course extra hassle to try and book elsewhere. I then booked with Connaught Lodges and got a lovely pool and spa amenties which my son was able to use.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We live in Poole but I treated my husband to a 2 day break. We loved it there. We had room 1 which was very spacious and clean. The only problem we had was a loud generator noise on all night. Couldn't figure out where it came from but it did disturb our sleep. Facilities are great. We used swimming pool and spa. You don't have to be a health freak to stay here. Although if u are all of what u would want is here. Food lovely and good value for money. Staff polite and helpful. Would definitely stay again but only if the generator noise was sorted out

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Lodge at Meyrick Park? Share your experiences!