“Fantastic week” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Wiltshire
“Fantastic week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

just spent a week at the Durley Dean delivering training for the Probatin Service. From the minute I arrived the young lady on reception was very polite and helpful. My first floor room was very well presented and each day this was cleaned to a good standard. I cannot comment if it was good value as I wasn't responsible for paying for the rooms. During our week we were looked after by Anita and Karen who were exceptionally efficient and clearly took pride in making sure everything went ok for us. Another bonus was the food. Fantastic, always hot and the staff where polite and helpful. I needed my steak returning because it wasn't quite done enough and this was sorted with no issues. The brownies were to die for and we all made a point of thanking the kitchen staff for looking after us. At our request they made us a coffee cake! I would have no hesitations using this hotel as a training venue in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

After looking online for a couples retreat holiday to Bournemouth I came across a good deal at the Durley Dean Hotel. An Executive Double Room including Bed and Breakfast for £99 which we both thought was an excellent offer for a couple.

Driving up we both realised it was a fantastic location so close to the beach!

Unfortunately on arrival it was not what we expected. Very run down dark and damp. The room was in terrible condition. Three Cockroaches found in changing rooms and Pool area. Due to the damp and dingy basement pool conditions with Sauna not even working. The Sauna alarm did not work and did not alert any of the staff. Stay clear of this hotel! We left soon as we found the coackroaches in the hotel. We did not expect to find a cockroach! To get a locker you have to pay £5 for a key or your items will be stolen. No towels or staff in the Pool area.

A weekend spoilt by a very old and run down hotel with foreign minimum wage staff, swearing workmen, constantly in need of repair. We were not surprised that the hotel was almost empty.

Stay well clear of this hotel!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bracknell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We recently visited the Durley Dean hotel in Bournemouth for 2 nights at the end of January 2014. Upon checking in we discovered we had forgotten to bring our voucher to give to reception and we were unable to access our e-mails to print off our voucher. The lady very kindly phoned the voucher company and sorted the problem for us which was superb of her. We had booked an executive room and upon entry were not dissapointed as the room was a large room with a bath/shower and was very clean and comfortable double bed. The breakfast on our mornings there were superb, well cooked , good choice , and enough for even the biggest appetite. We both enjoyed our stay there and would have no hesitation recommending the hotel and will stay there again on our next visit. Enjoy

Room Tip: Good location, about 10 minute walk to the pier, but there is quite a steep hill if you follow the m...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed two nights DBB in an Executive room for £99. We had booked this amazing last minute deal via Durley Dean Hotel itself and I imagine in quiet months it is one way of keeping open. Our friends had also booked the deal as have stayed here many times before.
Parking was not a problem – there is a car park for 30 vehicles at the rear of the hotel (first come first serve basis) – and as the quiet season it was almost empty. If full there is plenty of street parking (free).
On check in we were allocated room 127 on the first floor – there is a lift which was handy as we had brought the kitchen sink with us! The room had been refurbished like many in the hotel and was light and airy. One thing to note is if like us you find the heating is off just call the desk as they shut down parts of the hotel when quiet. The bed was lovely and comfy and the bed linen and furnishings were of a high quality. One of the sash windows rattled in the wind (I found this out at 3am). Cardboard wedges sorted this, but the leaky sash window the other side dripped all the time it rained – the gutter above has enough grass growing in it to feed a cow for days. This could be easily cleared from the dormer window above which would solve the problem.
We dined in the restaurant No 28 that evening and the menu was the same as guests paying the non-offer rate which I always think is a good sign of a genuine deal. There was a surcharge of £5.95 for the rib eye steak – but that is fair and the rest of the menu gave us very good alternatives. The starters were very good – two of us had the hot mackerel with horseradish hot potato salad – divine. The soup was also apparently very tasty and the vegetable spring rolls with noodle salad were a meal in itself. Three of us decided to have the rib eye steak, which came with field mushroom, baked tomato onion rings and chips. The other dish chosen was pork belly confit on a bed of red cabbage with a potato cake. I sampled this and wish I had chosen this. The steak was tasty – but not worth the surcharge - medium rare was perfectly cooked but had quite a lot of gristle. The rare came with a very large piece of fat and gristle running through the middle of it as it had not ‘rendered down’ at all.
My friend could not fight through it and asked if it could be returned to the kitchen. It took at least 25 minutes for a replacement to be served, by which time the rest of the party had all finished their main. If the kitchen had been busy I could have understood – but they only had about 6 other guests in the dining room and some of them had already been fed. These steaks certainly did not warranty a surcharge and we will wait and see if the hotel will waive the cost. Desert was a great disappointment – three chose a banoffi sponge with clotted cream and I plumped for a white chocolate & raspberry panacotta with a mango coulis, (my greatest weakness).I laughed at my friends faces when the sweets were served and said for once I had chosen the best. The banoffi sponge consisted of a muffin type cake made with banana and about a teaspoon of clotted cream plopped on top. My panacotta turned out to be so grainy it was not pleasurable and I ate two spoonfuls’s and left the rest – a first for me. The raspberry element was three dried up raspberries on the top and the mango coulis was non-descript.
We retired to our rooms and all had a very good night’s sleep as the beds are very comfy.
Breakfast – buffet style is excellent – I judge them by the quality of the sausage and bacon served. There was a good choice of cereals, juice, fruit, pastries etc. The cooked consists of scrambled & fried eggs, baked beans fresh grilled tomatoes .bacon, sausages, black pudding, fried sliced potato and mushrooms. The coffee is via a vending machine, which was excellent as it meant you could have a cappuccino or two if you wanted to.
The big downside was not really the hotels fault as such. Four of our friends from Eastern Europe decided to bring their large chocolate coloured Labrador into breakfast and throw a ball around the dining room for him to fetch. When we politely pointed out that it was not the thing to do in a public restaurant they found it amusing to throw the ball in our direction. Then one of the women started picking potato slices up from the server with her fingers and feeding the dog with them – in between feeding herself! We were the only diners in there apart from an elderly couple tucked away in the window who decided to leave.
We reported the incidence to reception who contacted us later to say that the restaurant manager would like to talk to us. He apparently had been there all the time and not seen anything. I pointed out he was not there when this happened and the receptionist then confirmed he had taken a room service order up to a room. All I can say is he didn’t come back during this occurrence, which went on for at least 20 - 30 minutes. It was only when they returned in the evening with the dog that they were told he could not be in there and were told to remove him. This means the manager had not had a word with them to explain he was not to be in any public area in the hotel at any time. I have it on good authority that they had asked if he was allowed in the leisure area
(swimming in the pool with his ball? – I shudder at the thought!!).

The evening meal the second evening was markedly better – but the Banoffee sponge was still on offer. I now know the Head Chef was in this day – and it showed. Two of the party chose stilton and broccoli soup – apparently very nice and I and the other member chose Pork pate with toasted brioche on a bed of salad leaves – which was enjoyable but a tiny portion of pate (about a heaped teaspoon) and with less than a square inch of toast.
We didn’t choose the steak after last night. Two chose lamb stew with dumplings, but unfortunately they had run out of this so all four of us had turkey escalope which was good, but not actually proper escallops (they gave us thick slices of turkey of a breast covered with sauce) .Some of the slices were totally devoid of sauce on the underneath – which is how I know it was made. My plate consisted of four scrap pieces of turkey –not two large slices of turkey like the rest of the plates ordered. I watched other diners’ turkey escallops coming out of the kitchen and mine was definitely not the same.
Dessert was enjoyable – Strawberry gateaux for two of us and Bread & Butter pudding with vanilla custard for the others.
The rain had caused the window in our room to leak so much we had a waterfall of water that splashed onto the windowsill and onto anyone brave enough to sit within two feet of it. It was so noisy we had to put towels and a bathmat onto the sill – sodden straight away but still useful to dampen the noise. The plaster on the wall was sodden and the beautiful curtains have faint water stains on them. This however did not dampen our enjoyment (excuse the pun)
After another good night we had our 2nd and last breakfast at the Durley Dean. Today it was still lovely – not quite as good as there was no scrambled eggs, no warm Danish Pastries and the sausages were not as nice ( might have been beef or venison) , but still really enjoyable and the fried eggs are very fresh and new batches were cooked regularly.
Checkout was smooth and our credit card account (£50 authorisation to cover drinks etc if ordered), was refunded less 1p.
I would not hesitate in staying again if they had another deal as on the whole it was most enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Warminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We took advantage of an excellent January offer to stay at the Durley Dean hotel on 17th and 18th January with 3 course dinner, bed and breakfast included. Having stayed there previously, we knew we would receive excellent service, a warm welcome and a great break and we weren't disappointed. The superior room we stayed in was amazing, very spacious, clean and warm and, I believe, recently refurbished. The staff were so attentive and helpful, with special mentions for Vera for her help with our booking and checking us in on Friday evening, to Lynn on reception who is always super helpful and remembered us from our previous stay (we liked that!) and Joe in the restaurant. Joe really looked after us well and we appreciated his enthusiasm and pleasant nature. The food we had was superb with plenty of choice and excellent quality, our compliments to the chef. We made good use of the leisure facilities, the pool and gym which is due for refurbishment this year. Bournemouth is a great place for cycling and we had brought our bikes and the staff were super helpful in allowing us to bring our bikes indoors and store them overnight. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing break in a super location and we are looking forward to our next visit, it can't be soon enough!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are excellent, the standard rooms are being refurbished in 2014. But if you are not...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to Bournemouth for three days between Christmas and New Year. Having grown up there I knew that the Durley Dean was situated in a good location for us and when looking around saw that it was actually cheaper to stay there during this period than a certain purple hotel chain dotted all over the country - plus it had a swimming pool and sauna - sold!

Before booking I was aware that the hotel was going through a refurbishment and when I called up the lady taking my booking politely recommended that I go for one of the refurbished rooms which actually was only nominally more expensive (and still cheaper than many other places, including the one mentioned above) so I thought why not. When we arrived we discovered that the same young lady had gone so far as to upgrade us which was very nice of her.

Admittedly, certain areas of the hotel were a little tired but I thought this added to its charm and the bar did seem to close promptly at 11pm but the staff were more than happy to reopen it if we needed anything. In addition the hotel was very clean, our room was great with a super king bed and all the staff were lovely and jolly with everyone saying hello when we walked past. We even got a peek of the smaller rooms when we left as the doors were open for cleaning and they would have suited us fine too if we hadn't been upgraded.

I think once they are fully renovated this vast hotel will suit just about everyone, I just hope the prices don't sky-rocket as I'd rather like to go back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Durley Dean Hotel has provided an excellent service as a venue for business meetings and functions. The facilities are very good and the catering excellent. In the years that we have been using this venue, the staff have, at all times, been e a pleasure to deal with - most helpful and efficient at all times.

I would highly recommend this hotel for any business functions or as a venue for parties.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Durley Dean Hotel? Share your experiences!