“Great Executive Suite, Great Price” 4 of 5 stars

The Durley Dean Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   28 West Cliff Road, Bournemouth BH2 5HE, England   |
Ranked #42 of 71 hotels in Bournemouth
Abilene, Texas
“Great Executive Suite, Great Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

My husband, myself and our two young children under 4 stayed here for 3 nights. It was a very nice stay, we enjoyed the hotel room very much. We needed extra room for a baby cot so we went with the executive suite....there was only a $5 difference on the site I used to book. By American hotel standard...it's not a large room, however in Europe...this room is quite large. Everything was clean and comfortable. The tea and flat screen TV was also a nice touch. I do wish the room would of had laundry bags available to use. There was a 5 pound charge a night for internet....a bit steep, most hotels nowadays have free WiFi.

The hotel, the reason why I gave 4 stars is because getting around the hotel and entering it is not stroller/child friendly. This is not an issue for anyone without children....but the entrance doors are the circular revolving doors. The staff intially opened up the door to help us get the stroller through....however it was too much after awhile and we would just close up the stroller.....a bit exhausting trying to corral 2 kids with everything in our hands. There were countless fire doors that did not stay open throughout the small corriders to our room which were close in approximity to each other which also made it difficult to get in and out of our room.....with children..again.

The staff was very helpful and eager to help with all the endless questions I had about travel/tourist information. We did choose to go to breakfast in the hotel one morning....a bit pricey, however it looked like a traditional English breakfast. We opted not to go again due to the fact there wasn't much our children would eat from the buffet. The dining area is quite large and the buffet was a decent size. I will say food wise there are quite a lot of little restaurants/eateries around the hotel leading into the town centre...however most of them stop serving food after 9pm. We learned that the hard way one night when looking for a quick bite to eat without having a bar setting. We did not eat at the hotel for dinner.

The hotel pool was small but nice. We had it to ourselves which was good. Getting into the pool area was confusing. Again met by many different doors to go through. You must enter the pool area through the locker rooms. The pool is in the basement of the hotel, so the low ceiling made it feel a little confined...maybe a bti more lighting would or perked it up a little. The water was nice and the area was clean.

The hotel was an okay distance from the city centre and the beach. Theres a zig zag pathway that leads down to the water.....downhill is an easy walk...uphill....well...its uphill. The walk to the city centre is about a 10-15 min walk downhill, going back to the hotel was a bit of a workout (with 2 kids and a stroller). The hotel also has maps of Bournemouth, which was helpful. The bus from the airport drops you off right in the circle before the hotel....very convienient. The yellow city buses also pass nearby the hotel.

I researched every hotel in Bournemouth before choosing this one. I chose this hotel based on what the room looked like and it's size. It also had a pool.....hotels in the area without a pool were charging the same price per night....after reading reviews on this hotel I was convinced this was a good hotel. I'm glad we stayed there.

Room Tip: Executive Suite was a steal on a booking site!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

498 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Stayed in a suite for business trip, absolutely everything spot-on from check-in to check-out. Bed was super comfy, breakfast hot and tasty, staff were so friendly, and whole place had a lovely relaxed atmosphere. V important to feel at home when you're travelling, and I really did - thanks to all at the Durley Dean! :-)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

We had a three night break in Bournemouth visiting friends. We checked into The Durley Dean after having the first night at The Hallmark Hotel, which was not a good experience.
We were offered an executive room at The Durley Dean which had been recently refurbished and offered us a good size room and large bathroom. Of all importance was the shower which had an excellent pressure.

The staff at The Durley Dean were all very pleasant. Breakfast was good with attentive service.

The hotel has three stars but with the refurbished rooms probably deserves four stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished executive room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I flew in from the US for a business meeting and realized I forgot my adapter. After a near panic attack, the staff went above and beyond to help me. The hotel manager, Paul, took me around town until we found one finally at ASDA. I was so thankful for the UK hospitality and Paul's willingness to go above and beyond. I'm in a refurbished room and it's big and lovely with a new flat screen tv. It's my 2nd stay here and I come back for the price, the friendliness of the staff and the delicious risotto you can get from room service/bar area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
bexleyheath kent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

On arriving with my mother at Durley Dean I was informed by the hotel receptionist we had rooms on top floor that had not been refurbished and could upgrade to another room but at a charge! When I asked why I had not just been given a refurbished room in the first place as they were available she could not comment. My mother chose to stay in the original room as it was spacious if a little dated. I opted to change as new room had walk in shower instead of one over bath.Only when we returned at 11pm that evening did I fully appreciate my mistake. I was on the second floor almost directly opposite lift which had a talking operator so I was treated to 'doors closing' for some considerable hours. Add to this the fact my window was not double glazed and did not close properly so noise from main road added to my frustration and lack of sleep as did the singer in the bar below.The room was as small as a closet, if you sat on loo you had to keep door open otherwise it was difficult to turn around. Breakfast was a buffet with that awful machine that takes so long to cook toast creating a long queue of hungry people. The food was average with recooked potatoes, fried eggs, bacon etc, even tea and coffee was via a machine.
Although my single room was £50 plus £8.00 for breakfast I feel it was not good value, I am sure there are much nicer places to stay in Bournemouth I only wish I had found one.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

A friend and I recently asked the Durley Dean for their support in holding a fundraising event for a local charity. We are both running the London Marathon in April 2011 and wanted to hold a charitable party to help us raise £4000.

The staff at the Durley Dean were really helpful and generous, offering support wherever they could to ensure the party was a success - both on the night and financially.

They were even kind enough to offer us a nights stay with breakfast as a raffle prize.

All our guests had a great time, some of which stayed overnight too. The hotel were the first to offer us support in Bournemouth and the event was a great success.

This is a great hotel, with honest, helpful, polite staff.

• Stayed March 2011
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Booked the hotel for a business function where I was entertaining colleagues. Facilities are basic but this is reflected in the cost.
Unfortunately, whilst having a recess from our meeting personal belongings were stolen from the meeting room as staff had failed to secure the room or take adequate measure to prevent theft.
On reporting the matter to the hotel I was met with a disregard and lack of concern with no apology being offered at all. I was assured the manager would call me back to discuss but despite a further chase up this has never been received.
The sad truth is whilst ideally located and fairly priced no measures are being taken to protect guests or interest in resolving or accepting issues.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Durley Dean Hotel? Share your experiences!