“Weekend Break lovely hotel, recommended” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth BH1 3AN, England   |
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lanark, United Kingdom
“Weekend Break lovely hotel, recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed her with my mum for a weekend break. The hotel is beautiful, lovely decor inside and out kind of art deco at the seaside. I felt like i was in an episode of Poirot, it was lovely!

We had a seaview room with a balcony right in the middle of the first floor, it was gorgeous. Floor to ceiling views of the sea, views of the pier and the isle of wight.

We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel on 2 occasions for each, the breakfast was good and varied, cooked and continental options, really filled us up for the day. I wasn't too keen on the dinner on the first night but the second night redeemed itself, i am really fussy though so if id been more adventurous it would have been good as there were lots to choose from.

The staff were very attentive, my mum took ill on the 2nd day and everyone rallied round to get her feeling better.

The hotel is very close to the pier and town centre, only £5 in a taxi if you can't walk and has lifts to all floors. We would def come back!

Room Tip: First floor, sea view rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed at the East Cliff for one night on Oct 19th with 2 friends. Both couples had lovely, clean spacious rooms with very comfortable beds, very surprised on arrival to find that we both had seaview rooms as the paperwork from Booking.com stated inland facing. Hotel very comfortable, staff all very nice, would return if ever staying in Bournemouth again and take advantage of the leisure facilities at the sister hotel next door.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed over weekend of 19th October 2013 when the weather was appalling. Hotel is in a nice location away from the centre of town. We had a sea view room which was a good size,
with a very nice view.
As it was raining outside we decided to have drinks in the bar. Unfortunately the choice was very limited. They don't do cocktails!
Breakfast was a slow affair as the staff all seem to be new.
Overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
warwickshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Have just returned from a two night stay at the East Cliff Hotel. I cannot speak highly enough of this Hotel. The staff from check in to check out we're fantastic especially Natasha who went the extra mile to make our stay so enjoyable. Great room with balcony, great food in fact the only downside was the weather, but you can't have everything.

oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed one night mid-week as I was travelling for work. I arrived at around 3.30pm checked into my room on the 4th floor which was nice spacious, clean and had a very comfortable bed and large bathroom.
The staff on reception were very friendly and directed me as to how to get to the town centre so I could do a spot of shopping. The walk to the town centre would be about 10-15 mins but I opted to get the bus as I was heading in quite late and the weather was changeable.
I made use of the gym and swimming facilities at the hotel opposite which were very good, particularly the sauna. There is also an outdoor pool which looked well maintained and I can imagine it is lovely in the summer months.
Room service which I ordered for dinner was good and arrived in good time. Breakfast was also nice, although the sausages were a bit dissapointing and the bacon was overly oily. Good selection of continental and cooked items overall and fresh grapefruit juice which is my personal favourite!
Would definatley stay here again, for work and pleasure! Views of the sea and cliffs are amazing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hedge End, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I booked a weekend break for two nights from 18 th oct.We contacted the hotel the weekend before our stay and asked for a room with a sea view,as it was going to cost £50 extra each night we decided not to but were assured by the young man on the phone that every room has a balcony any way.When we checked into our room our room it didn't have a balcony at all and the view was of the fire escape!! We went back to reception and asked to change rooms,we were then shown to another room which was much smaller but had a balcony and a sea view!! We enjoyed our weekend ,and the breakfast each morning was lovely.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view or balcony.
Worcestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Booked the East Cliff back in July this year for 1 night to see a concert at the BIC, room was £102 for a twin bed room as that was all that was showing when booked online but did include breakfast. Got there at 13:00 but room not ready until 15:00 so went for a stroll into Bournemouth. Booked in and I was asked to pay for the room again to which I pulled out the credit card invoice to show that my card had already been debited. Went to room and all I can say that it was probably the smallest room that my wife and I have ever had to stay in. No point trying to ask for another room as I tried to book the previous night but was informed that the Hotel was fully booked Friday and Saturday due to a Gala ball. On a positive it did have a double bed but it was against the wall so you could only get into it from one side. The bathroom door opened out into the bedroom and made it impossible to pass each other, the tea making facilities were on a tray under a small desk and there was no way that the tray could be removed as the desk was tight against the bed. We managed to take the items from the tray but only two teabags and two milk cartons, so no morning cuppa. Got into the bath and then realised we only had one towel, quick call to housekeeping soon sorted that out. Whilst lying in the bath I then noticed dried Faeces on the toilet rim (under the lid) I sprayed with shaving foam but it was still there when we left and probably still there now, no excuse for this and thank god we were only staying one night. Morning breakfast was a complete nightmare too many people not enough tables, a wait of 20 mins to get a table then a queue to get breakfast, hotel run out of plates and most of the items that go to make up a full English breakfast were not available such as eggs. Got back to table and all cutlery gone, the waitress thought we had finished and was arranging for someone else to sit at table, I would have thought leaving the room and car keys on table meant that we were still having breakfast. Booked out and nothing from reception regarding how was your stay so left it at that but I have completed the Hotel questionnaire and posted back today. So I will update if I receive a response back. Room 1019 is only a single room not a double if you stay here, and for management can I suggest you look at the emergency procedures card on the back of the door you may want to correct it.

Room Tip: Do not book room 1019
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MenziesECC, General Manager at Menzies East Cliff Court Bournemouth, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for placing feedback on your recent stay.Please accept my sincere apologies for what happened.Since the review was placed we have discussed by phone in more detail what happened and I am very greatful for your time.It is quite clear that their are learnings for us which as a team we have taken on board.I am pleased that you are happy to accept my offer by way of apology and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.Kind regards Paul Clarke, General Manager

Been to Menzies East Cliff Court Bournemouth? Share your experiences!