“A few minor problems but good value” 4 of 5 stars

The Orchid Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Gervis Road, Bournemouth BH1 3DH, England   |
Ranked #45 of 71 hotels in Bournemouth
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“A few minor problems but good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Just to cover things in headings:

Service:
On entering the hotel the receptionist was cold and a little unhelpful but got the job done.

Room
Bath very dirty with signs of mould on the
ceiling and round the shower screen
There was no soap in the room
Wardrobe lovely and spacious
Room very comfortable and stylishly furnished
Booklet in room out of date on some details
Blinds kind of tricky to close
Lots of tea and coffee facilities included in the room
Cobwebs on the ceiling

Other
24 hour reception very convenient
Good value for money
Great location

• Stayed February 2013

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Orchid recently for a Birthday Celebration and we were very impressed. After reading some of the reviews before our visit we had our reservations but we were pleasantly surprised. We had a superior room which was spacious with a new contemporary look. Very clean with great pressure shower and comfortable bed. Location was fantastic and all local amenities i.e beach, town, pubs etc only a 5 to 10 minute walk. Breakfast was fantastic and all the staff were all very pleasant. We don't normally write reviews but felt the Hotel deserves some positive feed back. We would definitely return when visiting the area again.

• Stayed January 2013
OrchidManagement, General Manager at The Orchid Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding our facilities, staff and breakfast.

Looking forward to seeing you again.
Winterthur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Having stayed in different hotels in Bournemouth so far, I would certainly recommend the Orchid Hotel again. It is conveniently located close to the beach, the city center and the university's Lansdowne campus. The rooms are nicely decorated, clean and quite spacious, free wifi is available without troublesome login procedures. Full English breakfast is served, the fruit salad is freshly made and the staff is very friendly and helpful.
Last but not least I have got an incredible deal for my stay in February (booked through the Legacy Hotels website in December) and even though the reservation somehow didn't got through, there was no hesitation from staff to stick with the offer and the original booking.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OrchidManagement, General Manager at The Orchid Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your nice comments and hope to see you back soon.

Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Every time we visit Bournemouth we stay at the Orchid. It is a nice place to stay. The staff is very helpful and nice. Rooms are big enough for sleeping, cleaning and even hanging out a bit. Slept like a rose! I like the indonasian theme of the hotel. Last time we went there was a coachgroup visiting the hotel for a Christmas weekend. And even though the staff was very bussy there was plenty of attention for the other gasts
Coming from Holland it is kind of strange hearing Christmas songs in november. But sitting at the bar in the Orchid we really came in the mood for Christmas!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OrchidManagement, Manager at The Orchid Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We always appreciate feedback to improve our customer service and the overall quality of the hotel and of course it is great to hear such positive things about the staff and facilities any time.

Hope to see you again
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Having stayed at The Orchid Hotel a few years ago, I have not only recommended it to all friends and family but then decided to return this year to celebrate my husbands birthday.
When we arrived we were handed the bill for our stay as soon as we walked through the door, not having been able to see the room or experience the service. Begrudgingly I paid the bill straight away, we were handed our key and directed to our room. Room 203.
The room had mould on the ceiling, the ceiling paper having cracked and hanging down. As we had just spent 6 hours in the car getting there we decided to just freshen up first and let reception know as we headed out to dinner. The heating in the room was completely off, which we found strange when the outside temperature was around 0 degrees, however we turned the radiator on ourselves to try and warm the room up.
As we went to use the shower we found out the shower didn't work at all. Not a drop out of it.
As we left for dinner we let the person on reception know the shower did not work and the heating was also cold (it had still not heated up at all).
Once we got back, we had a drink in the bar, having been served out drinks very rudely by the night porter (it seemed like we were bothering him) and then headed up to our room. The room was still freezing cold and the shower still didn't work. As by this point it was midnight we decided to wait till the morning to raise this again.
In the morning we raised this with reception who said they weren't aware (?!?!??!) and would get the maintenace man to look into this.
I had to use the on site (but private) hairdresser to wash my hair as we still had no shower in our room.
Again returning later we asked reception before we went to the room if the items had been fixed. She got very defensive and said well its crossedo ut of the book so it will be, no need to keep checking. The shower had indeed been fixed but the heating had not and was still incredibly low. Again reported to the night porter as we left for dinner and again nothing done.
On the day we left, Sunday, I had now lost my voice and got a terrible cough, which i believe has come from the mould and cold room. As we were leaving there was no apology for the bad attitudes, room quality, lack of washing facilities or heating. We were just asked to pay the balance of the drinks we'd had (£26) and then directed out of the door.
There was a sign advising (which hadn't been there the 2 previous days) that the hotel was in fact in administration.
I will now not be recommending this hotel as I have been, and in fact am disgusted with the whole weekend. It ruined a birthday weekend for me and my husband.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OrchidManagement, Manager at The Orchid Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Please allow me to start off by thanking you for your review of our Hotel on TripAdvisor, we always appreciate feedback.

We are very sorry to hear about your disappointing stay with us as we endeavour for all our guests to leave satisfied.

After careful investigation I do like to point out some issues I feel the need to address.
I checked the room myself upon your departure, as a complaint about mould is very worrying, and have found no mould at all in either the bedroom or bathroom. You are correct to state there was a coloured patch on the ceiling that was due to a previous leak. (which we are now getting sorted)

It is our standard procedure upon arrival for guests to settle their bill as in the past we had to many guests leaving the hotel and not paying, this caused to many issued and therefore we changed our procedures not long ago.

Our boilers work on a timer, and go on at 5pm. Most of our guests check in after this time. We are looking into why your room hasn't warmed up at all. I did have a look at this on the morning of departure and it seemed to be working fine.
Unfortunately we do not have a 24 hour maintenance team and therefore we were unable to fix your shower until the next day.

I do understand that from your comments here you are a lot less positive about the Hotel then your previous stay, however I think the comments regarding “staff attitude” are unfair as they had no control over the above mentioned points.

We have indeed gone into administration in December which has no negative effect on any aspect of your stay, and will prove over the next couple of weeks to be a good decision for the future.

As I said we always want to make our guests feel welcome and enjoy their stay with us and if for whatever reason you are dissatisfied please ask for a member of management as we were only made aware of the issues raised after it went on TripAdvisor, besides the mould you describe that was in fact no mould.

That said I do sense a lack of communication our side, as perhaps when we would have explained this better during your visit this wouldn't have come this far and we might have been able to help you out better.

Once again I am sorry to hear your stay was not as you expected and we hope to see you again at the Hotel. You are also very welcome to give us a call and we can have a chat about this over the phone if you like.
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I booked this hotel for my sisters birthday, due to adverse weather I cancelled the hotel 4days prior to our arrival date via phoning the hotel and was not informed of any charges. A week after our potential stay date 4 transactions of £39 (guaranteed) were debited from my account. I have contacted the hotel to resolve this and get a refund and no response. The 3rd party agent used (Infotel) have chased the hotel, who happily confirmed to Infotel that call the hotel to cancel the rooms on the Monday but as it was not in writing in email they just didn't process the cancellation. I am now struggling to get a refund of the £156 and think that its disgusting that this hotel can just debit money as and when they want.

Just to confirm Infotel have been amazing in trying to get a refund for me but as they don't deal with the monies they can't personally refund me!!

Cheek that they admit I cancelled well within the cancellation policy yet still charge my card full price...just because they can!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
You booked your rooms through Infotel, a 3rd party agent. Any cancellations or amendments need to be made through these 3rd parties and not with the hotel direct as we are unable to make amendments/cancellations on your behalf.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here for just one night - a Friday night. The room was not huge, but fine. The bed was 2 x 3ft beds put together which was also fine and the bed was comfortable enough. The bathroom was clean. The heating worked. The breakfast was good. The receptionist was nice. Location is excellent. I'm not sure what else I need in a hotel room!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and I am pleased to hear you had a nice stay with us.

We hope to see you again.

Been to The Orchid Hotel? Share your experiences!