“Initiation into Cafe culture......” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 537 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Monmouthshire
“Initiation into Cafe culture......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I were taken here by my daughter and her husband.
The venue describes itself as a 'stone bake pizza' establishment, on the Winton High St (Bournemouth).
You enter via glass sliding doors into what can probably be best described as a transport cafe layout. Bright lights, unimaginative decor (yellow), high ceiling, hard floors, clean simple wooden tables and chairs and fairly loud music. The kitchen is open to the seating area. My heart sank...
We had to take our own wine as there is no license, which was OK, as we had bought ours from an off license 50 yards away who have an agreement with the 'cafe' about them not charging corkage. If you take wine that is not purchased at this off license, there is a corkage fee (at time of writing) of £3 per bottle. (Still a cheap option)
The menu contained a good range of dishes for the size of establishment and the prices were a joy to behold. But would cheapness be the sacrifice of quality? Definitely not. My starter was massive. A good selection of italian meats on top of a mixed salad and plenty of it too. A meal in itself. For my main course I had the 'Pizza Bellagio' A 12" monster which was delicious. I was the only one of our party that ended up with a clean plate. The rest were defeated and no one had room for a sweet course.
It has to be said that the staff and owner could not have been nicer and more obliging. Top marks here and more top marks for the final bill. £45 for 4 people!! each having 2 very substantial courses (+ the cost of whatever alcohol you take in)
So why only 4 pips on the rating. Surroundings and ambience. But of course, this is not really what cafe culture is about. Is it?

• Visited November 2012