“Summer Jazz evening in July.” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth BH1 3AL, England   |
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Summer Jazz evening in July.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

On arriving at the hotel for our summer evening of Jazz, we were greeted by several friendly staff, and we went straight to the beautiful gardens where the jazz was playing. We thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening, with a lovely hot meal and a bottle of wine whilst listening to the sounds of jazz. This was our second visit to this hotel and we will definitely be returning again, on the night of the 28th with a group of us, to enjoy another special evening. Well done to the Hotel Miramar for the music, food and the friendly staff you have.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We have been to Hotel Miramar on several occasions and always found the staff to be nothing but perfectly polite, attentive and pleasant (which is why we were surprised to read otherwise from other reviewers). Like many hotels and restaurants, they do employ foreign staff, but we can only speak as we find and say that generally their English is good, and they are always very keen to offer good service.

Our most recent trip to Miramar was for a birthday party. It was a really hot day, and we were able to enjoy the deck and what we would say are the best views in Bournemouth. We had a selection of hot and cold canapés served, which were really delicious, and all freshly prepared (again - don't know how anyone could report 'stale' food here!!!). There was live music and we truly felt like we were in a 'continental' venue.

Friends of ours ( 2 couples) were staying at the Miramar, and we saw their rooms, which both looked freshly decorated and pretty trendy (again, we struggle to match what we saw with the old fashioned and dated comments). Yes, we would say that it is a 'traditional' hotel - certainly not a 'boutique' hotel - but that is part of its charm.

We regularly use Trip advisor to suss out places to eat or stay, and it always amazes us how the comments can vary so much. On this occasion we really are amazed to read some poor reviews and negative comments, because they really do not match our personal experiences of times spent there.

Room Tip: If available choose a sea view room, and it is worth upgrading to a suite with a private balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

There were 2 reception staff and although we were waiting behind 2 other guests, only the friendly girl checked guests in. We were given our room key and met by a horrible stale smokey smell when we opened the door. I rang reception and reluctantly was offered a small double. I refused and the housekeeper was sent. She confirmed that guests had been smoking in the room. Eventually we were given another room - BUT never at any time was an apology given.
A pity as hotel has a good location and some of the staff we're accommodating.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I stayed here as part of a family holiday in Bournemouth along with my husband and toddler. Upon checking in I was met with the most arrogant and rude attitude I have ever come accross. By the time I was finished checking in this woman had completely ruined my whole upbeat holiday mood. She did not smile once! This is not an exaggeration!
As I was still determined to enjoy my holiday I ignored her and we made our way to our double room.
To say it was a box room is not an understatement. It was hot and stuffy and it was a hot day with NO air conditioning in the room or even a fan. My toddler had no room to move around and cried most of the stay.

The glass tops of the cupboards were loose and I had to remove them all to stop them from crashing on my toddler.

The whole room was dated and had a very depressing feel about it as our view was a Brick wall of the next building.

The travel cot provided (at an extra £10 cost!!!???) had vomit marks on each side and was filthy.

Every member of staff I came accross was rushing about with no smile or welcoming manner.

All in all I would say this is the most dated looking, unwelcoming , and unchild friendly hotel I have ever stayed with!

I will be returning to the Park central hotel next year which has always been impressive and welcoming.

Stayed August 2014
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We booked a short break to Bournemouth and unfortunately booked the wrong Hotel - please see my review of the Menzies Carlton Hotel.
On our second night we booked an evening meal at the Hotel Miramar. We received a warm welcome and were directed to our table. The management of the restaurant was exceptional. The service provided by our waiters was attentive and efficient, despite the restaurant being quite busy. Our youngest Daughter was feeling unwell and ordered a starter and then went to the garden with me for a walk. After we returned our starter was ready and we were approached and asked if our Daughter would like to order a main course. It made a very pleasant change to be offered an opportunity to a select a meal which was not included on the menu in order to meet her needs. The starters and main courses were beautifully presented and served in an appropriate quantity to meet the requirement of each guest. There was a selection of desserts which all looked so wonderful it was almost impossible to choose. There were 7 of us in our party and we had not one recommendation for improvement. We were offered the opportunity to take coffee in a comfortable lounge area, again the service was exemplary.

Aside from the exemplary dining experience, the Receptionist, Hannah, was friendly and approachable. All areas of the hotel that we saw were immaculately clean and accessible to all guests.

We would like to say a HUGE Thank You to the Managers and Staff we met during our visit, you demonstrate how a 4* Hotel should treat its guests. We hope to be able to return for a holiday with you soon. Our only regret - we didn't book our recent holiday with you!

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight here but the rooms look lovely in the brochure and I think I would have en...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

To David Bailey the Owner and GM

I'd like to say how enjoyable it was to have the Ambassador Suite for 3 nights to celebrate my retirement and 65th Birthday

I was a little disaapointent to find no sunbeds on the balcony. Luckily went back to our local home to get a sunbed.

The housekeeping in the room was excellent and the room was fantastic. However I would like to point out to you that the heated towel rail on the en-suite comes on at 11pm and stays on all night. It must have been 90 to 100 degrees in the bathroom. Perhaps a thermostat to save you some more money.

Tuesday night we booked the restaurant for a meal. We sat near the window where the dead waiter is. We were served by a tall waiter and a lady pony tail at the back she kept dropping things around us and on the dead waiter behind us. I had Sirloin steak for my meal which when it arrived it looked lovely. Before that we had soup and a roll each and butter. Then we had a roll with our dinner so we asked for more butter. The male head waiter said to the lady waiter please can we have some more butter for this table, she replied rather abruptly "I have already taken them butter!" where she had not. Harry had the steak and Matthew had the Duck. When they brought the vegetables some of it fell on to our lap as they were rushing. When it was all on the plate I said I would like some French Mustard. I asked the waiter for this.

We waited quite a while he then told the lady to bring it. Before I knew what had happened she had a big spoon and she put a big spoon dollop of Mustard onto my plate and was about to put another huge dollop on! As we had quite a few Christmas's with you we were both very suprised at this. We also had my 60th in your Library Room. I did want to say somthing that night and complain at the table but Matthew asked me not to as he does not like to upset people and did not want to ruin our last night.

I would suggest asking the Restaurant Staff to be less rushed! They kept knocking into customers and makings lots of noise. Perhaps some more training of common courtesy? Thank you

We were going to have dinner there Thursday evening but after our awful experience of Tuesday night in the Miramar. Restaurant we decided of course not to. Instead we had a bar meal on the outside seating area overlooking the sea which was fantastic which much better staff.

The receptionist was fantastic. This experience had not spoilt our enjoyment of coming to the Mirarmar.

I just thought we would point this out to you as we did not want to make it awkward for breakfast.

The garden is fantastic. We met some lovely guests as well.

Thank you very much all you did for us and hope to see you again very soon as we love your Hotel.

We noticed the painter and decorator was doing the windows, then when they watered the balcony plants the mess went everywhere.

Some fruit in the room or some touches like that would have made all the difference.

Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Hope that all goes well for the airshow and that you will be very successful. We hope to use Room 114 the Ambassador Suite again in the future.

Thank you.

Room Tip: Make sure to choose the Ambassador Suite everytime you visit this Hotel as any other room would be d...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
LONDON, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Generally very good, suffers a little from employing non English staff but never the less they try very hard to please. The room we had overlooked the car parking area but with the windows open we were able to manage through the hot night without any air con. The food was very good both for breakfast and diner but it felt old fashioned but difficult to put my finger on it. The public rooms were spacious and comfortable and the gardens were well kept and with the good weather lovely to sit out in, even more so for the view. My main problem was with the dish washer as there was either cutlery or crockery that had to be changed pretty much at each sitting.
They obviously are doing something right as they were very busy even though mainly with the older generation. Would be more than happy to go back.

Room Tip: room 110 was very comfortable with all the facilities working except the shower was a bit weak. Flat...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Miramar? Share your experiences!