“A nice gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Chine Hotel

You added The Chine Hotel to your Saves list
The Chine Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Boscombe Spa Road, Bournemouth BH5 1AX, England (Formerly FJB Collection - The Chine)   |
Ranked #22 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“A nice gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I have just spent a very nice weekend at this hotel. The first impression on arrival was that the hotel looked a bit dated but inside seems to have recently been refurbished and is in pleasantly good decorative order. There was limited parking at the front of the hotel. Since there was a wedding on Friday, we had to park on the street. Our room (407) was very pleasant (I would think it has recently been refurbished) with nice sea view. Although we were on the top floor, the music from the wedding party was still quite loud. It was the same on Saturday night. However, once the party was over (at about 11:30), it was very quiet and we could hear the waves from the sea. (If it was not for the party noise, I would have given the sleep quality a very good instead.)The hotel is at a good location. The pathway through the hotel garden down to Boscombe Beach is an added bonus (5 min and you are at the beach). From there, it's about a 35 min walk to the Bournemouth Pier (or £2 one-way on the Dotto Train). Breakfast is of good standard. Overall it's good value for money (Amazon deal - would not pay for normal rates).

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Fareham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My family and I have been coming to The Chine for many years now and the Hotel already holds some very special memories for me of great times with my friends and family. When I graduated from the a University in Bournemouth, my parents asked me where I wanted to go to celebrate and my first choice, was The Chine.
In May 2012, during a stay at The Chine, my then fiance (now Husband) and I decided that this was the perfect place for us to get married. Your wedding is the most special, important day of your life and you put your complete trust into a venue and it's staff. With The Chine, the trust was already there and I knew they would make the day perfect for us.
Karen Pocock, the wedding and events manager is an absolute credit to the hotel. She is amazingly efficient, extremely patient and really takes to get to know what your needs and wants are to make the day perfect. Also, another very special mention has to go to Alex, the restaurant manager, who looked after us so well it was like he was part of the family.
A few highlights for my husband and I...
Arriving on Friday to find the room beautifully and perfectly decorated, the gorgeous food for our family meal the night before, my amazing (and huge) room to get ready in (I always find the rooms to be clean and very well presented every time I have stayed), getting married in the beautiful gardens, the quality of the food for our wedding breakfast and evening BBQ and finally, the room itself which is just perfect for what we wanted.
I cannot recommend The Chine anymore highly than I have and our wedding day truly was the best day of our lives and a huge amount of credit is due to the staff and the hotel. This hotel is perfect for any event from a huge family to a quiet weekend away.
Mrs A Honour

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Booked for May 2013 and the weather along with everything else was wonderful. We booked 16 rooms for guests coming from N.Z., U.S.A, Scotland etc and no one could fault the service or food. Wedding took place outside where we had wonderful sea views. Children were catered for in the Soft Fun Room which had a door leading into the main function room. So, everyone happy! Only problem was the lift broke down, but staff on hand to accommodate people that needed help.Wish I could do it all again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel several times before, the last being some six years ago, and having treasured memories of it, i was looking forward to a couple of restful days with the same level of service that i remembered. The staff are lovely, very friendly and helpful. My room was clean but old and tired with a perpetual smell of urine coming from the ensuite, although not overpowering. The wooden sash windows were in disrepair with spiders living in the top holes. My first night's dinner there was an enigma. The soup was delicious but my garlic pasta was tasteless. In fact the few lettuce leaves strewn accross it had more taste to them. I wanted a leisurely last morning there so hung the room service card for breakfast on the door the night before, as advised in the instructions. I had chosen to have my breakfast delivered at 8.30-9.00. Luckily i happened to look on the door at 8.20 and the card was still there. It had not been picked up during the night. All in all i came away from my much needed break with a little grey cloud of disappointment hovering over me.

Room Tip: Definitely need a sea view room. Makes all the difference.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

So it was my wedding night last Thursday room was all paid for by family as a suprise we checked in an was asked for a debit card swipe, little did we know they were actually charging us £134 for the whole room even thou it was paid. Check out and assured we would have money cleared back into our account by the end of the day. A week later and still no sign, in fact was actually charged a further £134 today but they did admit their mistake. Management waste of time, reception barely speak English so at least the hotel continues to live up to its name it's had for so many years. It's supposed to be a fjb hotel, jokes! Guys don't let them have your debit card they will have a field day with it also don't ask for the manager as he (Martin) still has not returned my call a week later about as much help as a fart in the wind. Save your money folks and go further into Bournemouth town the extra few quid is worth it!

• Stayed September 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We came back today after 3 nights at the Chine. Overall it's a very good experience.

Booking the trip was a breeze. I advice you ring the hotel in case they have a promotion not offered by Internet booking agents. In this case we were advised to buy an Amazon vouchers worth £169 for 2 nights for 2 b&b with free dinner on our first night. We had to upgrade to include our 3y/o child and add another night. This was still reasonably priced.

Like most older hotels the facade and interior decoration looks a bit tired, but the facilities are well maintained and the communal areas are immaculately clean.

Our hotel room was sea facing with a balcony overlooking a well manicured garden. The room size is more than adequate for two adults an a child (or two). The furniture is old but clean. The toilet could be updated but again clean. I'm impressed with the shower as unlike some hotel rooms I've been, this one works really well!

Breakfast was passable. Our free dinner was good - I could have eaten the three courses twice. Beware though, our wine was £20+ and the child's fish fingers, chips and peas was £12.

The facilities. We booked this hotel for the swimming pool. We expected the indoor pool to be heated, bonuses the was that the outdoor pool was also heated. In fact it was warmer than the indoor pool. My 3 y/o swam every day and she had fun which was the whole point of this break. They had private access to Boscombe beach which was very handy.

The staff. They are warm and accommodating. They made us feel very welcome. They work very hard and there's always a smile for us.

Parking. Could be improved. On arrival we found a space, but the rest of our stay we parked on the roadside. For mid September it was busy, what more during high season?

Downsides? Weddings and parties. If you have a young family who sleeps early or you want an early night, you may need to wait until after midnight for peace and quiet. The floors creak along the corridor. The lift - quite a novelty but be careful your fingers don't get caught. Parking.

Despite the downsides this is a brilliant hotel. We will go back one day :)

• Stayed September 2013
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Really friendly staff, the rooms where clean and modern.
The bar was very reasonable price wise and the atmosphere was great.
Good restaurants near by (check out Urban Reef) and of course the beach.
The hotel had its own private walk to the beach which goes through it's beautiful garden.
Great hotel for the money!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Chine Hotel? Share your experiences!