“Lovely Museum” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 86 things to do in Bournemouth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Private home of extensive travelers Sir Merton Russell-Cotes and his wife Lady Annie was one of the last Victorian manor houses ever built.
12 attraction reviews
“Lovely Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

that we recently visited. The building is enchanting with lovely well kept gardens. We were asked for a voluntary donation but do feel that there should be a sign up asking for this rather then being put of the spot and paying because you feel you have to. Saying that it was well worth the £5 but if people want to volunteer it then let them do so.

There is building work being carried out at the moment and you can not enter every where but the rooms we were able to see were beautiful. Of course a lot of this comes down to taste but I found it to be full of treasures and paintings that I would have been happy to live with.

There is a cafe there but we did not use it. Also a small gift shop.

Sussex, England
“Such an interesting place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We both enjoyed this visit very much. The contents of the house itself were fascinating and the art exhibition was delightful.
We had a cup of tea in the very pleasant cafe area There was a request for a donation rather than an entrance fee which was unexpected.
I 'd go again.. it was great to see some interesting art and such a collection of artefacts.

Mytchett, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
“Worth a visit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I last visited here 55 years ago! I like Victoriana and it certainly have lots of character. Staff were helpful. They have added an extension since I was last there, and the cafe serves lovely food. Entrance was free but they requested a donation, which I gave. I am not an art lover, but did enjoy some of the exhibits. Female visitors are advised to visit the ladies loo...they just dont make loos like that any more! The weather was dreadful, and they seem to have a problem with the glass roofing leaking in places, but all the more reason to visit, I am sure that could do with the money. Fortunately they had stripped off the white gloss paint (!) since I was last here and revealed the Victorian decoration underneath.Do go and give it your support, the garden is lovely.

“Russell-Cotes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great place to spend a wet morning. Lovely building, beautifully situated at East Cliff, but only one or two opportunities to glimpse the view as the blinds are down to preserve the artworks. Lots of excellent paintings to see, also sculpture and artifacts collected from travels in Russia etc.
And when you need a break - a cafe with good coffee and all the papers.

7 attraction reviews
“Worth popping in to fill an hour”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We visited this venue in October, which was out of season, so it was free to enter. The building was currently undergoing repainting and covered in scaffolding, which didn't detract from the visit as the beautiful gardens were still open to explore.
On entering there is very little direction as to where to go. We made our way through the gift shop to the first floor and it was empty with no information.
We continued on to the next floor where the cafe was and wandered through a few corridors before finding the main house where we could explore. Many of the rooms were closed due to reorganisation. It was quite warm inside and I did't really feel that the areas were coordinated into certain themes or times.
We spend around half an hour walking around before leaving.
I would recommend a visit if your interested in antiques from around the world but I wouldn't go out the way to find this venue.