“Great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Montague Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Montague Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Montague Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   13 Durley Road South | West Cliff, Bournemouth BH2 5JH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
UK
“Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Just spent a week at this hotel. It's in a Great location about a 5 min walk from the BIC
The rooms are small but very clean and tidy. Shower not the most powerful in the world either.
However the lovely staff make up for any shortcoming and are more than happy to change your room if you need to.
Would I stay here again? ... Yes

• Stayed May 2013
BestWesternMontague, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Montague Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Jonesy914 - thank you for your lovely review. It was a pleasure to accommodate you at the Montague for a week. We would love to welcome you back to the hotel.
Kind Regards
From all the 'lovely staff'

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

As a senior contributor to this site; as with all my reviews I will give a balanced, accurate reflection of my stay. Stayed here for four nights with my company in May 2013.

The good points. The check in process was hassle free and I went to my room. The hotel the room was very clean and was dust free, as was places which usually get missed such as window sills and shelves in wardrobes, bathroom was spotless too. Good daily room servicing and the room was actually cleaned every day as opposed to just making the bed and emptying the bins. Good supply of milk and tea/coffee in the room along with towels and soap/shower gel. Trouser press and hair dryer also present. Flat screen TV on the wall and table and 2 x chairs. Alarm clock and bedside lights all present and all worked ok. The hotel does not have air con, but there was a double radiator in the room along with two large windows that open. The opening of the windows was not restricted like in some hotels, so it was easy to get a good flow of air through the room. I was allocated a room at the front and the noise from traffic is there 24/7 as it’s on a busy main road, but this didn’t really bother me. If it does, ask for a room at the back, the road at the back of the hotel is a side street and the volume of traffic there is much lower. The view from the front is nothing special so you won’t be missing out on anything (see photo). The Wi-Fi in the hotel worked well with a strong signal and achieved speeds of around 2.5Mb. I did notice on at least two of the nights I was there it appears to stop working around about midnight, not sure if this is a deliberate hotel action or whether it was just chance, but it was back on again by the morning. There is also a Windows XP machine in reception for guests to use free of charge. There is good strong 3G mobile phone coverage on Vodafone and Orange/T-Mobile. I don’t have devices on another networks so can’t comment. Food. I only had breakfast so I can’t comment on the bar snacks, however, from what I had it was good. Breakfast is a help yourself for the bread/cereal/pastries etc but you have to ask for anything cooked. I had a cooked one morning and had no complaints.

The not so good points. From the outside the hotel is looking a little tired, as the photo that I took shows, they need to fix that problem with the displaced “N” soonest as it makes the place look like Fawlty Towers! The car park at the rear is OK, surfaced with tarmac and is well lit; however, there is a lack of capacity when the hotel is full. There are about 33 rooms in the hotel but I would say that the car park could only accommodate about 20, maybe 25 cars maximum. Fewer if there are vans or commercial vehicles, there is no apparent separate staff car park, thereby limiting capacity further. I have stayed here before and the room I had before was quite large and had a bath, but the room this time was very small, as the photos show, the bathroom being almost “caravan size” and very cramped. Again see the photos. The whole hotel could do with a makeover; the decor is very dated and has very visible signs of wear and tear. A previous reviewer has mentioned it but the floor boards creak like I’ve never heard before, I wasn’t able to take a single step in my room without them creaking. The walls are wafer thin too; I could clearly hear conversations coming from the rooms adjacent to mine. There is a problem with the plumbing, the shower pressure was poor and to prevent the water going from hot to cold the temperature control needed constant adjustment. I did leave it on maximum hot for a good few minutes but the temperature of the water still kept widely fluctuating. I think it’s to do with how many other people are using the water supply, it’s worst in the morning but by late afternoon I was able to have a shower with a more controlled temperature, but the pressure is still a problem. Similarly there was a problem with the toilet, the cistern was only filling to about 50% and as such it needed multiple flushes to clear it. The refill time was slow, typically about 7-10 minutes. There is a lack of storage space in the rooms; I only had a double wardrobe, no chest of drawers. The double bed was fairly comfy however it was made up of two single mattresses joined together. The mattresses had obvious signs of wear as both sagged towards the area where the mattresses joined and so you had to sleep at a diagonal angle to prevent rolling around at night. If there were two of you in a bed I am not sure how easy this would be. The curtains were not very thick and did not meet; they left gaps, so in the morning the room got light quite early.

Overall I do not think that the hotel offers value for money. It was clean, the staff are very friendly, welcoming and accommodating, however, the hotel is very tired and showing signs of heavy wear and tear. I wouldn’t stay here by choice. It’s ok if you’re only going to be there for a short time or if you don’t plan on spending much time in your room, but I would not recommend it for the seasoned business traveller as it lacks many facilities that business users require.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear gnatfish1992,

Thank you for your in-depth review regarding your stay with us. We appreciate the time you have taken to point of the positive and negative aspects of your stay. I am pleased that you made comments regarding our friendly staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. As you can understand a hotel can experience maintenance issues at any time - we understand that the 'N' coming loose from our hotel exterior does not reflect the hotels standards however being so high up it took a few days to locate an appropriate ladder for the job. Being such a large group who stay with us every year we hope you can understand some of our rooms are larger than others when you are taking up 80% of the hotel. We have received your group booking for next year and will try to accommodate you in a room similar to last year.

We wish you all the best for the rest of the year and look forward to welcoming you back next May.

Kind Regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We had this hotel during the worst weather in March at a trip away. The main part of the hotel was pleasant, well decorated, staff were friendly, rooms were a good size and breakfast was great for the money yet it did let itself down in a few areas. Firstly there is only enough parking for around 10 cars so you need to be back early to find a spot, local roads cannot be parked upon. The location is good for walks but a long way from of the centre for other amenities.
As for the building, it is old so the floors squeak and some of the furnishings are no newer. The bathroom was poor. Take the 1960s fan hair dryer in rooms for example, my partner was in agony/tears after it literally sucked up her hair, I cut her free and thankfully it left no lasting damage as it also got extremely hot. These things need to be changed and it would seem as though there is a refit going on but we missed it. Bar the hair dryer it was a basic but pleasant hotel, good value for money.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BestWesternMontague, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Montague Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Darran L,
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Montague Hotel - we always welcome all types of feedback however there are just a few comments you have made about the hotel which I feel the need to clarify. The hotel has double the spaces you have stated in your review almost two thirds for the amount of rooms we have. A hotel close to us has 117 rooms and only approximately 15 spaces. Also all the roads around the Westcliff are free unlimited parking. Also the hotel is not even a 10 minute walk to centre of town (0.7 miles) we are very centrally located to the beach and town - I am sorry you feel differently
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed & had a lovely couple of days in Bournemouth. Nice hotel & friendly staff. Clean & good location, but please can you fix the squeaky floorboards (room 30) OMG! Drove ourselves crazy with every step, let alone neighbours or people on floor below. Otherwise very pleasant stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear M W,
Thank you for posting a review following your departure from our hotel. Such a shame that you were only in Bournemouth for a quick visit - hopefully next time you will be able to spend longer in our beautiful town. Due to the age of our building we are looking into planning a refurbishment programme where the floorboards will be included in any work carried out.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had a Buyagift voucher and also upgraded to a superior room, which was nice, clean and fresh though not a very good view overlooking the hotel opposite and with no blinds we felt rather 'on view'.
Nice big bed, though one side was a bit saggy. My husband wanted an softer pillow but that wasn't forthcoming so he didn't sleep very well due to the firmness of the pillows.
Bath room was spotless and towels were plentiful.

One receptionist was lovely, called Emily :) So good at her job! Attentive, chatty and made the extra effort to make you feel welcome. Another one was not so...she seemed to find it difficult to get up from her desk and actually come and welcome guest, in fact she made you feel a nuisance for interrupting her.
But yes, would go again if I were visiting Bournemouth.. hope they get the 'n' back in place soon though as it lets it down from the outside.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BestWesternMontague, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Montague Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Lucy A,
Further to your stay with us - thank you for writing a review. We appreciate all feedback from our guests. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our receptionist Emily! She is an extremely valued member of our team. We are keen to prop the 'n' back on our sign - we are just waiting on a long ladder to assist with this. We will be working with Buyagift for the foreseeable future so we make the ideal gift experience.
We hope to see you soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

me and my partner stayed here a year or so ago. it is such a lovely place to stay, however when we first arrived they where doing all the carpets in the hotel which was a little annoying with all the banging. but we went out for some dinner into the centre which isnt far at all and on returning to our room their was some chocolated and a letter to appologise for any inconvinence which i thought was a really nice touch. we ate in the hotel from the bar menu it was average. one member of staff stood out the most and i think his name was 'anthony' but not 100% sure he is an asset to the hotel he always made us feel welcome and seemed to be everywhere at once. would definetly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Pinkappl,
We would like thank you so much for writing a review a year after you stayed with us. We can only assume you have just set up an account and have gone on to review previous hotel stays. We are glad you thought the chocolates were a nice touch, it was the hotel owners decision to ensure our guests knew that we were concerned of any inconvenience we may have caused. Our new carpet is still looking fantastic. We would love to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Once again thank you for remembering us - a year on!
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Upgraded a Buyagift Voucher to avoid the economy rooms from experience. Being a Best Western was apprehensive but very pleasantly surprised!! Very clean, friendly staff, great room which was like a suite, though slightly disappointed with breakfast. Pastries not replenished within an hour before finish and cereals and fruit didn't look fresh. Help yourself to tea and cook your own toast, can't be doing with that when away, do that at home, that is what a break is for, to be waited on ... Decor slightly dated and short staffed, that said would return but not for breakfast!!! One thing, The Barman was really friendly!!!! Oh and reception staff very welcoming.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear beeniecrew-182,
We are so pleased that you had a great stay with us using your Buyagift Experience Voucher. All Best Western Hotels are independently owned - all hotels are a high standard. Hopefully we have built on your expectations of the Best Western brand and next time you will not be apprehensive. Thank you for your kind words about our bar man and reception team I will ensure these kind words are passed on.

Kindest Regards

Been to BEST WESTERN Montague Hotel? Share your experiences!