“Good Value!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
brighton
“Good Value!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

never been to Bournemouth so we gave it a try, booked into the suncliffe hotel, we arrived and liked what we saw. There is plenty of parking in the hotel and outside on the main road.The room we had was adequate and the bed was comfy,so no complaints there. we met several of the staff mainly all were not English but were very good at their jobs and always friendly. The swimming pool is lovely and warm so we could go for a swim and then go and have our meal, the food was excellent and a very good menu. The only complaint we had was on the second day there was a terrible smell in our room, God knows what it was but this still wouldn't put us off coming back, a great place to stay. PS don't go to Harry Ramsdens on the beach its quite expensive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The Suncliff hotel is a nice hotel with nice food and has a nice Sunday lunch and is good vaule for money with nice help full staff the hotel is on the East Cliff in Bournemouth give it a try I am saw you will like it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
keith s

Short but sweet! thank you for sharing your comments and I am very happy to see you enjoyed your time with us. I hope you will be back soon.

Best wishes
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We returned home yesterday from an Interchoice holiday. All hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Our bedroom, even though it wasn't a sea view, was very clean. The buffet breakfast was plentiful and set you up for the day. The evening meal was varied and very well presented, always hot and tasty and the service in the dining room was excellent. Thank you Paulo. Our compliments to the head chef and his team. We made some good friends over the few days we were there, especially Rita and Ken (half share) who kept us amused during meal times.
All in all, a very pleasant holiday. Thank you Suncliff, Interchoice holidays and Rob our Solus driver.

Room Tip: Chose a sea view room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
twinkle442

What lovely comments, thank you for taking the time to support the hotel and leave a glowing review of your experience. We do try our hardest to make sure everyone is looked after during their stay.
It is always nice to make new friends while away on holiday and I am also glad to see the food and service impressed you.
I hope you visit again soon when interchoice next head down this way.
Best wishes
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I stayed at the suncliff hotel last year with my husband and parents as we were visiting my son who is studying at university in bournemouth. We found the staff to be very accommodating. The rooms although quite small and in need of decoration were clean and comfortable. The food was excellent with a great choice of freshly cooked bacon, eggs etc and also cereals, toast. They provided a good level of entertainment each evening consisting of a singer. The leisure pool could have been better it was tired and for an indoor pool in October the water was cold. It was even cold in the pool area so you couldn't sit on the sun loungers to dry off as you would freeze. Overall a nice hotel to stay in in a good location close to beach, pier and town centre . I would recommend and will stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sue C

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the Suncliff, I am glad to see you enjoyed your time with us and will be back in the near future. As for the pool I do remember back in October we did have an issue with our pool boiler where we had to wait for a part to come in but usually it is nice and warm down there.

Once again thank you for your kind comments
West Midlands, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night on a business trip on what was the hottest day of the year. No aircon, my cupboard of a room had a window that opened out onto the fire exit stair case so I couldn't leave the window open, there was an emergency light right outside my bedroom window that was on all night and the paper thin 1970's curtains did a pathetic job of blocking anything out. The rooms are awful and in desperate need of a refurbishment and when I asked for a different room I was informed that they were fully booked. Awful hotel that I will not be promoting to my colleagues!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Casinos an

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments

I have inspected the room you occupied while at the Suncliff and I feel your comments are somewhat exasperated probably due to the hot weather we experienced on that day.

The room itself Is a normal Double room with ample storage and a clean and modern bathroom. The room was painted and re-wallpapered the later part of last year I would happily stay in such a room if I was travelling on business my myself.

I would agree the room does look out on to the fire escapes but unfortunately they are a necessity in Hotels and we do offer sea view rooms if that should be an important factor in your reservation.

I know that the reception team would have course moved you were they able to as this is company policy. However we have had many days in the past few months were we have been full making it extremely difficult to move or change rooms.

I am saddened to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us and I feel it is unfortunate that we were unable to move your rooms due to the hotel being full.

I hope you enjoy your summer.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed for three nights to celebrate my wedding anniversary. I booked directly with the hotel over the phone as I wanted to ensure I wasn't allocated a room on the first floor (due to poor reviews about this floor needing a refurb.) I was glad I did as the operator admitted that the first floor hadn't been renovated and some guests had been unhappy with it. He offered me a penthouse suite, the best in the hotel, with sea view balcony and fully refurbished. However , the price was above my budget (£250 a night!!) so he suggested I book a superior double with sea view and if the penthouses weren't booked I would be upgraded. I took a risk and paid for this (£145 a night) and fortunately I managed to get the upgrade to the penthouse suite. The room was fabulous ( I was in Zara.) Wall to wall glass across the front so a beautiful panoramic view of the sea. A big balcony where I could enjoy a drink once my children were asleep inside. A huge room with super king bed and additional sofa bed if needed. Brand new bathroom, lovely decor. I was really pleased with it.
However, after breakfast I took a bit of a tour around some other floors and peered in rooms that were being cleaned and I can honestly say that they were very different to the refurbished top floor rooms. Old, dated decor, tatty wallpaper and carpets in the corridors. I obviously didn't see all rooms but the ones I saw looked a lot older than mine. In addition, all the communal areas on the ground floor and lower ground (breakfast room) are in need of an upgrade. This hotel is used by coach parties for the over 60's so the majority of people were seniors when I visited . There is also evening entertainment geared towards this age group ( cruise ship singers - cringe !) In summary, had I not been allocated a room on the 4th floor I think I would have been bitterly disappointed for my £145 per night.
I must add though that the staff were all excellent and couldn't do enough for you. Also, this hotel is part of a group and allows you to use facilities next door at The Cumberland. There is a great outdoor swimming pool and lovely restaurant. This hotel is modern, cool and everything that you wish The Suncliffe was! If you can I would book here. It is gorgeous ( but comes with a price tag! )
Finally, I have to say that I loved the location of these hotels. In between Bournemouth and Boscombe peers, lovely cliff top setting. We got the lift down to the beach each day and it was pretty empty due to not being right next to either peer. I had a great holiday and loved Bournemouth - but be aware of what you might get if you book The Suncliffe. Note to management: please spend some money and smarten up the ground floor (and other floors !) as this has the potential to be an excellent hotel. Thanks

• Stayed July 2014
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Emily D

thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay at the Suncliff Bournemouth.

I would always say to call and book direct as we give the best advice and price and on this occasion it really did save you a lot of £££ booking with the Hotel.

the style at the Suncliff is a traditional seaside hotel rather then the art deco style at the Cumberland. We accommodate many types of guests from young couples to tours and families. We pride ourselves on the food we offer and the customer service we provide in comfortable surroundings. They may not be the most modern but I believe we are value for money when you consider the whole package you receive.

Being a popular hotel the corridors and public area's get a battering from suitcases and furniture being moved etc. yet we employee a decorating team to refresh and refurbish constantly at a great cost. At the moment they are working on up-dating the terraces on the first floor bedrooms.

All in all your review was a very positive one and picked out the main areas we work hard at. I hope you will return to us in the future and once again visit our websites for more information and up to date offers.

Best wishes for the summer
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed at a Westcliff B&B last July&it fell very short of the website promises. We dined at the Suncliff hotel &Josef persuaded us that they could give us a good deal, if we booked early- SO we did; our sea view room payment&booking 6 months in advance, also theatre show(as instructed by "her indoors"), I was happy to do this knowing the food, service&entertainment(ESPECIALLY Lee Scott, vocalist) is always to a high standard. Unfortunately our health deteriorated during the Spring,but ....... or bust, we decided to go, partly because we'd booked Strictly come dancing theatre show@the Pavilion(which turned out to be amateurish rubbish -best laid plans,etc!). After a 135 mile trouble free taxi ride, we arrived early&the Greek lady receptionist was very efficient&helpfull&had ALL our booking details exactly right. The sea view room could be described as "old fashioned comfort": large 4 poster,with superb mattress&pillows, new toilet/washbasin, NO heated towel rail(standard in most hotels), large bath&oodles of 24/7 hot water. Czech,Polish chambermaids were superb. Restaurant food&service(especially Claudia) lived up to the well earned reputation. Evening entertainment was very good; bedroom night noise was minimal. So any time i return to Bournemouth, I WOULD ONLY STAY AT THIS HOTEL, mainly due to the very caring staff @ALL levels. I gather that some rooms@the rear of the hotel are rather small, but cheaper, i guess.

Room Tip: Corner rooms@front:good view to wake up to¬ very noisy
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Downsmankent

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience while staying with us at the Suncliff Hotel.

I am very happy to see you booked with us again and were so impressed by our service. My team and I try very hard to ensure all guests are looked after and take pride in our specific roles. I like the description 'old fashioned comfort' and believe we deliver this day in day out! Focused on the three main area's, food, service and cleanliness.

I really do hope we will see you again in the near future and when booking feel free to request the room you had last time and we will do our best to allocate it or one similar for you.

Have a great Summer!

Been to The Suncliff Hotel? Share your experiences!