“my wife's 60th birthday” 5 of 5 stars

The Suncliff Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   29 East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth BH1 3AG, England   |
Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Coventry, United Kingdom
“my wife's 60th birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 days here, I paid a little extra for a penthouse suite as a surprise I couldn't have wished for more she loved it. After retiring 5 years ago we have been lucky enough to go away for a few days a year up and down the country staying in various hotels this one has definitely got our mark of approval. I could not fault the service,the cleanliness,the food and our room was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff help if needed was always there. I would and have recommended the Suncliff Bournemouth. With one final word my special thanks go to Sam on reception who's lovely smile was there to welcome us. ( hope she gets employee of the month award )

Room Tip: Ignore nasty reports they'd probably pick faul with the Savoy.ok and if you reserve a penthouse...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
David L,
I am so glad you both enjoyed your stay at the hotel and mainly the Penthouse suite.
I do hope you will visit again, and I will pass your comments on to Sam. She is new to the Suncliff but I feel she fits in very well, helpful with a bubbly personality.
My best wishes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked a standard room in this hotel and had to go with my partner through a warren of corridors to find it. When found albeit clean and pleasant it was small and claustrophobic with views onto the back street, so I upgraded to a room with a sea view for £20 extra per night, The new room was much better with lovely views of the sea from the bed, perched as the hotel is on a cliff top and with bed quite high and window low. Two chairs and table by the windows too, so that was good.

They have an indoor pool which was tepid and murky, I suppose with chlorine, but good. The spa bath had been decommissioned as apparently too expensive to run, and they are still wondering about what to do in this area next. The sauna was just a towel drying room, with no emergency button, so I suppose this whole centre is rigged up for the old and retired, it is that sort of hotel. The adjacent hotels, to either side, have outdoor facilities, one a good pool and the other a ha'penny puddle with some greek effigies around it.

You can walk easily to Bournemouth from the hotel, along the road, or take the lift which you pay for or steps further down to walk along the promenade.

I did not dine there as the food looked too expensive and not worth the trouble, but that is my opinion. Breakfast was not included in the deal I got so I did not have it, as it would have cost £15 each which I deem to be far too expensive.

So in summary a nice enough hotel, but not one I would rush back to.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the rabbit hutches and get a room with a sea view
FleetwoodFan,

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your upgrade to a sea view room more suitable to your taste.
As far as the leisure is concerned the hot tub has been taken out of action not due to being too expensive, I’m not sure where this reason came from but because we are looking to install a facility that will be better received by our guests such as a steam room or experience shower.
The sauna is on a time control so I can only assume that if it was not very hot the timer had run out. We have a sign and telephone explaining to contact the reception and we would switch it back on for you.
How can you possible say the food looked too expensive and not worth the trouble, what are you basing this on? We give residents a discounted rate and for a four course menu at £21 I feel this is very reasonable. The breakfast is also only £5.95 for continental and £10.95 for the continental and Full English, this includes tea/coffee and choice of juices. Being a buffet you can choice what you like and pretty much have as much as you like so again I don’t understand why you thought this was £15.

I feel some of your comments are very misleading mainly with the value and worth of the food we serve also comments about rabbit hutches and not being able to afford to run the hot tub. Such comments are very unhelpful for the TA community and the Hotel.
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Went to the Suncliff Hotel for Mothers Day Lunch & I have to say the service & food were outstanding. They extremeley busy but nothing was too much trouble for them. I couldn't fault the experience, it was simply brilliant!!!!

• Stayed March 2013
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
NessiK

Thank you for your kind comments!

Our Sunday carvery is very popular and I believe amazing value for money. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your experience and hope you will return again soon! We also run a loyalty scheme so should you return again ask a member of staff and they would be happy to explain this to you.

Best wishes
wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

just stayed at this hotel 12th to14th april 2013 in bournemouth great loction right on east cliff next to beach brill brill brill clean modern room with flat screen TV the whole of the hotel seemed clean.
Nice in door pool good entertainment polite and helpful staff sleep quality good.We will be staying at this hotel again. Not sure what food was like as didnt eat this time.

Room Tip: we stayed on 3rd floor seemed quite
weekenders999

I am so glad you enjoyed your break at the Suncliff, Thank you for taking the time to post a review, it is a shame you never had the chance to dine with us.

I hope you will return soon when the sun is shining.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night. The staff were very pleasant and the hotel very clean but bedroom was poor . The shame is that a hotel in such a prime sea frount position is so down market and furnished in such bad taste . I felt I was transported back in time - how sad !

• Stayed April 2013
harper18

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff, I don’t agree that the hotel is badly furnished, again I would point out that the hotel is a traditional sea side hotel, we are not trying to be a flash modern hotel. We are relaxing and comfortable and we focus on our guest relations; we also provide great food and service along with various facilities including leisure and entertainment. To down grade us just due to the decor I feel is a little unfair but i understand we all have differences in taste.

If you saw our reception they could have shown you a redecorated room or maybe looked at upgrading you to one of our more modern penthouse rooms. They will always do their best to ensure every guest is comfortable.

I hope you will come back in the future and try us again and maybe look at some other rooms?
Evesham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Located in a prime location, on the actual seafront, not far from major amenities, this economy hotel has the potential to be a real value for the money offering. Unfortunately, car parking was a real issue, even with the additional options provided of using the car parks of the two sister hotels and the pay&display on the main road. The rooms, whilst clean, were uncomfortably small, to the point where the tiny chair could not be pulled away from the small writing desk, to actually sit on, as the bed was in the way. If you are a shoe size larger than 7 you may have difficulty walking around the bed and getting in/out/about this room. The shower was hot, but not all rooms had functional central heating. Contrary to advertising the jacuzzi is not operational and the sauna was not functional throughout the full duration of our stay. We did not enjoy the food at breakfast, nor the ambience of the restaurant, it is a converted basement with no natural light. Semi-skimmed milk was hard to come by at breakfast, so were fresh fruit (not out of a tin)- melon was the only fresh option. The staff's friendliness, however, could not be faulted, they kindly poached some eggs for us, as the fried option did not agree with our stomachs.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms on the third floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Isis_309

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at the Suncliff, I had the pleasure of meeting you over the reception desk while discussing some of the issues you seemed to be having, so I am surprised to read your review and the few untruthful comments within it.

Parking in general is an issue in Bournemouth, like many seaside towns. Many of the hotels use this fact and charge for use of their car parks. We however do not adopt such a policy and allow guests to park for free within any of our hotels next door to each other. If these are full there are hundreds of spaces on East Overcliff Drive which are free from 5pm-9am and minimal fees outside these hours.

The majority of our rooms are different, different in size, shape and decor. This can be seen from the websites and in my replies on Trip Advisor, I’m sure you would have read this as you clearly pointed out to me you were a frequent user of review sites including TA. I would also say that if you were unhappy with your room allocation my staff would have done their utmost to change your rooms.

Your comment 'but not all rooms had functional central heating' has me stunned! With over 100 rooms how on earth would you know this for a fact?

The Jacuzzi, as the sign explains, is an area of refurbishment, it is no longer being promoted as a facility on our website and it will soon be replaced with a new facility...so watch this space!

Again when we spoke over the desk and you mentioned the Sauna, I told you it had been fixed that morning. So how you can say 'the sauna was not functional throughout the full duration of our stay' this is simply untrue.

The restaurant and bar only use semi skimmed milk, again this was explained during our conversation. I am happy to show anyone our packaging or invoices we also stock soya milk and full fat milk portions if people are not happy with semi skimmed. So how this was ‘hard to come by’ is beyond me.

Our breakfast selection goes well above what is expected for a 3 star hotel and as you said yourself the staff are friendly and helpful, if you were after an alternate fruit option why not ask the staff? They would have been happy to oblige.

The last point I would like to make is that on the third floor there are 29 bedrooms, why would you discourage guests from using these especially when it also has balcony sea view rooms. I feel this was somewhat unhelpful advice to the TA community.

In summary I will always take constructive criticism from guests and as use it to better our product, I also understand that my staff and I are only human and mistakes are made sometimes, however what I do not appreciate is when people bend the truth or are just untruthful. I do not find it helpful for anyone including my staff and the TA followers.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Upon arrival, it felt like we had to stepped back a few decades. The decor is rather dated and that can be said of the whole hotel. We paid £85 for a room, not sure it was worth that. The rooms are okay, although our room was noisy and the door didn't lock properly and kept on banging in the middle of the night. The location is lovely though and it is around a 15 minute walk to the pier. Breakfast was nice with a good variety which we were impressed with. Probably worth paying a bit extra and opting for 4*.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for leaving your comments regarding your stay.

The ground floor areas were actually decorated around 5 years ago and all the paint work refreshed last year. As our website explains we are a more traditional sea side hotel and the decor reflects this style with a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

I apologise about your room door and we would have done our best to rectify this if it was reported during your stay or indeed on check out.

I am happy to see you enjoyed our breakfast, I also think it is a very good spread and will soon be reviewing our coffee served to make it even better.

My best wishes

Been to The Suncliff Hotel? Share your experiences!