“Friendly, professional, clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
france
“Friendly, professional, clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Over a 6 night stay and having experienced the bar, the lounge and the restaurant, I can honestly say that I only have one complaint - that the bottle lorry came and emptied the dumper in the early hours making the most frightful racket, but I doubt the hotel has much control over their timing. On arrival my sister and I were upgraded - without asking - to a suite and, although it overlooked the car park, we did at least have more space to rattle around in. The room itself was very clean and was renewed that way daily (full marks to the housekeeping staff) and although the furniture is pretty basic it's all serviceable. (Just a by the by - the tiny little strip of paper slotted into the headboard about how to turn the tv on is daft - put a sign next to the tv, reception will get fewer calls and the guest will feel like less of an idiot.) As other reviews have said here, the hotel is indeed full of seniors but i felt that was a good thing making for a positive atmosphere and quiet buzz and no screaming children which is a bonus! Plus people say hello to you on passing. The hotel obviously looks after them well with something happening every evening but it isn't intrusive and you can easily get away from the main lounge if bingo isn't your thing. It makes it friendly. However for me, the best of this hotel can be found in the restaurant. Absolutely top notch service (and this is from someone who is difficult to please having been in 5 star hospitality for decades). Very busy restaurant, must be a challenge to manage, but the service is close to flawless, very professional, friendly and attentive. Only thing I would change is to get the wine waiter to the table before the food order is taken; give someone a drink (even if it is only water) and they will wait more happily for a little longer. Really good steaks, cooked in both cases exactly as we asked, which is usually a bit of a lottery in itself. Great buffet roasts on one evening with all the accoutrements and veg al dente (also not easy on a buffet), and everything was replenished as soon as it was getting low. Special mention for the lady in the white-rimmed specs (restaurant manager?) - very professional, eyes everywhere quietly gliding about making sure everyone was happy. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms over car park are a bit noisy on occasion.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Katie G,

We do have very limited control over the timing of the bottle lorry. I would like to hope that common sense would dictate that the driver would start such a collection in a residential area a little later. I have not experienced an early collection before myself so perhaps this was a one off (?)

For some reviewers this would have dominated their review. Thank you for remaining balanced and taking the time to carefully review each aspect of your stay. I do hope you will return to use very soon.

Andrew Potter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay, staff are fantastic, food excellent,we will use this hotel again.
As to the neg comments by others, I really do not know what people expect from from this hotel group 5star at 3star prices ?

Dear supersnag,

I completely agree, although there is nothing wrong with high expectations there becomes a point of unreasonableness. This is all part of serving the general public. The vast majoriy of our guests are more than satsifyed with thier stays.

Thank you for your brief review.

harpenden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

having stayed at several hotels over the years,we decided to stay at suncliff hotel.
it proved a pleasant choice we had a penthouse room which was exellent having great view toward the sea.
its worth booking dinner as its good value and good quality
on first night we could not eat in restaraunt due to having to go to b.i.c. to see sedaka.
again no problem a nice menue was presented to us toeat in the lounge.
the staff were fantastic and very pleasant
entertainment was geared to the older guests but thats fine for me but would be a problem for younger guests.
i intend to stay at this hotel again.
its worth noting tha hotels on either side of suncliff (cumberland and cliff hotel)
are owned by same group allowing free access to all guests to use each others facilities

Room Tip: i always go for seaview room higher better. there are only 4 penthouse rooms but avoid the one near...
Dear seniorsam,

It’s always fantastic to read a review from a returning guest.

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience at the Suncliff hotel. I am delighted to read that everything was satisfactory and I do hope that your will return to us very soon.

My very best wishes,

Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were due to stay at the Suncliff for a 4 night break in July. Unfortunately on the 2nd day I received news that my 89 year old mother had been taken into hospital back in Birmingham and so we immediately had to curtail our break. I did not expect to get a refund on the remaining 2 days of our break but the staff and management team were really sympathetic and to my surprise by the time I came downstairs to checkout the refund had already been arranged. Thank you so much.My mother was in hospital for several weeks hence the lateness of this review but we certainly enjoyed the short time that we did spend at the hotel. We were given a family room which had a lot of space and an excellent view. The room was clean and had all the facilities that you would wish for . The bathroom was of a very good standard. Breakfast was excelllent and the hotel and its sister hotels offer excellent facilities for bars, restaurants and indoor and outdoor swimming pools and also a good variety of entertainment. Wish we could have stayed longer and would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear loppylugs,

Firstly I am sorry to hear about your mother, I trust she is now recovering well. We always do what we can in such circumstances and I am glad the team were able to relieve some of the pressure and stress I can only imagine you were facing at the time.

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Suncliff and even after all this time

I hope on your return you can stay longer and take more time to enjoy the many facilities we have.

Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Last minute booking, we were met by a very friendly receptionist on arrival at the hotel, checked in straight away, ofered help with luggage, and directed to our room. The room was a good size, with all mod cons needed, all staff members I came into contact with were friendly, efficient and delivered great customer service. Large hotel bar with a nice chilled atmosphere. I would definatly return to the hotel, thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Dale O,

Many thanks for your candid review of the Suncliff. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your holiday and I do hope that you will be returning soon.

Ormskirk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

On arrival at the hotel at 4 p.m on a thursday, I managed to get the last parking space. I was told that I could use the car parks in the adjacent hotels but it appeared that people in those hotels were parking in the Suncliff hotel car park. as theirs was full.

We were greeted in a warm and friendly fashion by the hotel receptionist and given the keys to room 115. All went down hill from that point. On arrival on the first floor the signs indicated that rooms 116 to 136 were to the right and rooms 104 to 114 straight on. No mention of room 115. When we discovered the room it became obvious why it was not signposted, it appeared to be an addition or a converted cupboard.

The room was small and the bathroom door would not close however it was fixed promptly. Two of the exterior walls abutted corridors and were constructed of plaster board or some thin wooden material, the third wall although brick, backed onto the stairwell. The result was noise from all directions, every step taken by other residents echoed around the room, in addition to the thin walls the corridor floorboards and stairs creaked. The view from the room was of the side of the hotel next door.

The bed was uncomfortably hard and during an early morning stampede from corridor the headboard fell off. The furniture was of poor quality and had seen better days.

On the Saturday morning,due to the lack of sleep during the night, my wife and I slept in, leaving the room at midday. I placed a sign on the door saying 'please make room up'. When we retuned that evening the room was not made up. The hotel state that if the room is not vacated by 2 p.m the room would not be made up but fresh towels would be left, that did not happen until I made a request at reception. I asked why the room was not made up and was informed that the tag on the door said 'do not disturb', this was not so as I double checked it

Why continue to stay I hear you gasp. The answer is I had no choice as the hotel was full therefore a change of room for our three night stay was not possible. The reason for the stay was to visit my elderly and recently very ill father. As this was already a difficult time, trying to find another hotel was not an option.

We ate in the hotel bar on one occasion, the food and service was good.

My advice is that if you stay at the Suncliffe, AVOID ROOM 115 and be prepared to park on the road outside.

Room Tip: Avoid room 115 at all costs, no matter what the hotel charges for this room it is not worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bonzodoodah, Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Jonathan D,

Thank you for your comments. We value all feedback. I am sorry to hear you did not entirely enjoy for experience at the Suncliff and I hope this has not put you off returning in the future.

Our accommodation allocation is done as fairly as humanly possible. I am sorry again that your room was not made up as it should have been, clearly the Housekeeper miss-read your sign and incidences like this are rare. To my knowledge we have not had any other reports of adverse noise from 115. Much of the hotel’s bedroom stock has been redecorated; your points about room 115 have been noted.

In the next four weeks we are increasing our efforts even more on updating certain areas of the hotel. The management and team are even coming in (un-paid) on their days off to help and some are also coming back after their shifts to help overnight too, all in an effort to bring the Suncliff to its highest ever standard. This shows our commitment to providing clean, comfortable accommodations to our guests.

Kindest regards,

Chichester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel is out of date; old and filled full of old people. We had lots of problems:

a) the heat went up to 5 and didn't go down at all
b) the phone didn't work - couldn't dial reception
c) they never bought the iron up - we had no signal to phone them
d) the jacuzzi was cold
e) the sauna was cold
f) the dinner room was filled with old people
g) the dinner was sloppy serve yourself holiday camp style
h) the bed was lumpy
i) they never bought the paper up.

horrendous - we are in our 40's and it was just horrendous. Dont' go.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
rcarley, General Manager at The Suncliff Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
ChiPhotographer

I find the comment that the hotel was full of old people fairly ageist...are they not allowed a holiday too? I will be old one day as you will and I plan to have as many holidays as possible?

Also yes the hotel is also old...like many in the area, that does not mean to say it is not well kept, we have staff in place for this and spend thousands year on year to keep it looking nice.

So to address your comments point by point,

a) I don’t really understand your comment due to lack of description but I think you must be referring to your radiator thermostat, this turns to 5 for hot and 1 to cold. If you had a fault our maintenance team would have helped once reported.

b) Phones do break, however we have a store with spare in should you require a replacement at any time.

c) I really apologise if this was the case, but it makes me wonder how you asked for one if your phone was not working,,,,if you asked at the desk that would have been a perfect opportunity to report your faulty telephone?

d) I have checked our Jacuzzi record and the heater has been working fine, speaking to Maintenance the only time it may be cooler than usual would be if they had emptied it out and cleaned it then refilled it, but this tends to be before the leisure opens so would not take long to heat back up.

e) Our sauna is on a timer, there is a big A4 sign that states this next to the sauna door and a phone to call reception to turn it back on if the timer has stopped. it last for 4 hours at a time.

f) Again ageist in my opinion

g) The only self serve dinner we do is our Sunday carvery which cannot be sloppy as it compromises of large joints of meets, stuffing, roast potatoes etc. Plus we served over 300 people every week..so cannot be that bad? Every other evening the dinner is plated...it makes me question if you even had a meal in the evening with us?

h) Mattresses are a difficult thing to get right for everyone, some like theirs hard, some soft...however we do have spare ones our store and mattress toppers, so if reported we can make a difference.

i) Newspapers are available to purchase at the desk, again with your vague review I’m not sure it you mean that yours were left at the desk and not delivered or if you didn’t receive it at all which is unusual. I apologise if the latter is the case.

Overall a very negative review and I would also say some of it is just untrue however I will feed the constructive comments back to the staff in the relevant departments

Been to The Suncliff Hotel? Share your experiences!