“Summer Holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Airdrie
“Summer Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Just spent 2 weeks at this lovely friendly hotel. My daughter and I had a superior twin room which was spacious and had a fridge and ceiling fan - just the thing to cope with the hot weather. From the management down the staff are all very helpful and always there to help if needed. Meals were well presented and if you don't want dinner in the restaurant you can have Bar Meals in the conservatory. We enjoyed the pool and Jacuzzi (didn't use the gym.......too old and too hot!) We have been going now for a number of years and it is obvious that a lot of the guests return. It does need a wee bit of TLC but is spotless and the décor is of no consequence. There is parking at the hotel and also on the quiet street. We hope to be back DV 2015.........roll on.

Room Tip: Try for an executive front room - they are more spacious
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Mary R, Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review and we are so peased that you have been returning to The Elstead for a number of years. Your kind comments have been passed on to the Team here and we certainly look forawrd to welcoming you back in 2015. Kind regards, Graham Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

After getting a great deal for a 4 day break, we weren't expecting too much, but the hotel is fantastic!
Literally 3 minutes away from Bournemouth station and a very easy 15 min walk to the town centre and beach, which was beautiful!
The staff were incredibly friendly and the bar and restaurant were brilliant! The bar is cheaper to eat in than the restaurant but the portions are huge and such great value for money - cheap too!
The pool, sauna, steam room and gym were all great and we had it to ourselves most of the weekend.
Couldn't recommend more, brilliant hotel and so so reasonably priced!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lydiadoherty
Thank you for a wonderful review and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. note that you took advantage of our 4 day break which is featured on our website along with many other deals so keep an eye out for some great offers and we hope to see you back soon. Kind regards, Graham Phillips
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Used booking.com to book the hotel - which was very easy. %20 VAT is a big surprise, adds a 3 day-2 night stay to £ 300.
Added a note "clean, quiet room" to my booking, and this was made true.

The location is not that close to beach and city centre. The maps do not show the distance right. You have to walk 15 minutes to the beach.

If you go out the wrong side of the station, you have to walk too much. Try to get out towards the St Swithun's Road or St Paul's Road or the station car park, it is 5 minutes.

Receptionists very warm and informing you on every subject. I even did not wait for 5 minutes to get my room card.

The decks are a little bit old, to my luck not much people were passing at night.

Clean, cozy room, a lot of plugs, nice tea & coffee tray and kettle. White-cream decoration. Bathroom was spotless. Hot water was running good, the bath tap easy to use. Cold water tap in the sink was not working, so I used the hot one there too.
There were liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner, but I prefer bringing mine. Shampoo&conditioner may not be that fresh.

I included the dinner in the price, 15 £ each evening. It was really worth it. the food was great. If you do not like searching for restaurants with a hungry, burning stomach, I recommend you to have your meal in the hotel.

The waiters are very warm, they have a menu for kids too. The service was quick, and the food was well cooked.
You pick one from hot or cold appetizers, one from main course (big portions with side stuff!) and one from hot or cold desserts, and then tea or coffee.

The breakfast is also nice and rich, hot and cold options with fruits and cereals too, but no cheese or olives.

Free, strong wifi, a little weaker in the dining hall.

I used the leisure club one afternoon. The pool is heated, not so deep or big, but fine. The jacuzzi pushes some thin streams of cold water, however. The pool has some windows at its roof and you watch funny seagulls while relaxing.

The passage to pool from lockers-change room requires you to pass the fitness room, which is freezing with air conditioning.

The first nite after seeing the fireworks in the beach, I returned hotel at 11 p.m., and the doors were closed (!!!). There were nobody in the reception. We have to call the guard to open it. I've never seen such a thing.

Furthermore, telling the guard that I am staying there was not enough, he asked my room number, my surname, checked it from the list. I can understand the security measures, but he did not do this to the couple coming inside after me. He even joked that I look like a criminal. Well, it was a little bit shocking that moment.

I woke up in 6 a.m. hearing someone knocking for minutes. Opening the door, I realized a lady was knocking the door opposite to me. Thin doors, thin walls. Ask for a room at the end of the corridor.

But overall, it was a nice stay. No bad surprises for the room or food.

Room Tip: Ask from the front side. Nice view.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Serra T, Thank you for your long review and you have made some excellent points which we have taken seriously, in particular about night security being over exuberent. Kind regards, Graham Phillips
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Pretty good value. It's about a 5 minute walk from the station. Taxi to the pier costs £6.80. It has a lounge bar, a restaurant and a few other rooms which looked like function rooms. It also has a gym, a swimming pool with jacuzzi. The decor was a bit 1980s, however, and needs some work. Staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Probably better on 2nd floor, looking out towards the front.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Macehill, Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Regards, Graham Phillips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Just got home from 3 lovely nights at the Elstead Hotel a lovely hotel and good value for money with friendly staff good food and spotlessly clean . We upgraided our room so we had a big room, ok as others have said needs updateing on the decor but that is really the only downside of this hotel if they did that then wow , deff go back one day thank for a good holiday

Room Tip: If its a large room you want go for the double room with seperate bathroom , our room was on the sid...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dennis B, Thank you for a lovely review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you will be returning so we will look forward to seeing you back at The Elstead Hotel.
Kind regards, Graham Phillips
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Booked on a whim at a reasonable price last minute. Reasonable room and good food. Spoilt somewhat by a very hot towel rail - I still have a burn mark 4 days later. A lot of noise from a generator or air con outside my room window. Ceiling fan was excellent.

Room Tip: Don't overlook the roof at the front.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Barry
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry for the excessively hot towel rail and can inform you that following a comment about it to receptioon, the towel rail has been turned down. Regards, Graham Phillips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I had a really enjoyable stay last weekend at the Elstead. The staff made us feel very welcome and we were treated as special guests. They were always on hand to help and would actually take the time to ask what we had planned during our stay and when we returned they would ask us how it went. The room was very small, but very comfortable and the leisure facilities were great. There was a great selection at breakfast, including poached fish, which was delicious. The walk into town was very pleasant, only just over a mile. I would most definitely be staying there again on my next trip. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff about your wants and needs and if they are able to provide what you are looking fo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Embutton74
Thank you for a great review and it is always a joy to hear that we have ensured guests have an enjoyable time. I have passed on your comments to the Team here at The Elstead and we hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Graham Phillips

Been to Elstead Hotel? Share your experiences!