“Very nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Used booking.com to book the hotel - which was very easy. %20 VAT is a big surprise, adds a 3 day-2 night stay to £ 300.
Added a note "clean, quiet room" to my booking, and this was made true.

The location is not that close to beach and city centre. The maps do not show the distance right. You have to walk 15 minutes to the beach.

If you go out the wrong side of the station, you have to walk too much. Try to get out towards the St Swithun's Road or St Paul's Road or the station car park, it is 5 minutes.

Receptionists very warm and informing you on every subject. I even did not wait for 5 minutes to get my room card.

The decks are a little bit old, to my luck not much people were passing at night.

Clean, cozy room, a lot of plugs, nice tea & coffee tray and kettle. White-cream decoration. Bathroom was spotless. Hot water was running good, the bath tap easy to use. Cold water tap in the sink was not working, so I used the hot one there too.
There were liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner, but I prefer bringing mine. Shampoo&conditioner may not be that fresh.

I included the dinner in the price, 15 £ each evening. It was really worth it. the food was great. If you do not like searching for restaurants with a hungry, burning stomach, I recommend you to have your meal in the hotel.

The waiters are very warm, they have a menu for kids too. The service was quick, and the food was well cooked.
You pick one from hot or cold appetizers, one from main course (big portions with side stuff!) and one from hot or cold desserts, and then tea or coffee.

The breakfast is also nice and rich, hot and cold options with fruits and cereals too, but no cheese or olives.

Free, strong wifi, a little weaker in the dining hall.

I used the leisure club one afternoon. The pool is heated, not so deep or big, but fine. The jacuzzi pushes some thin streams of cold water, however. The pool has some windows at its roof and you watch funny seagulls while relaxing.

The passage to pool from lockers-change room requires you to pass the fitness room, which is freezing with air conditioning.

The first nite after seeing the fireworks in the beach, I returned hotel at 11 p.m., and the doors were closed (!!!). There were nobody in the reception. We have to call the guard to open it. I've never seen such a thing.

Furthermore, telling the guard that I am staying there was not enough, he asked my room number, my surname, checked it from the list. I can understand the security measures, but he did not do this to the couple coming inside after me. He even joked that I look like a criminal. Well, it was a little bit shocking that moment.

I woke up in 6 a.m. hearing someone knocking for minutes. Opening the door, I realized a lady was knocking the door opposite to me. Thin doors, thin walls. Ask for a room at the end of the corridor.

But overall, it was a nice stay. No bad surprises for the room or food.

Room Tip: Ask from the front side. Nice view.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
GrahamPhillips, General Manager at Elstead Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Serra T, Thank you for your long review and you have made some excellent points which we have taken seriously, in particular about night security being over exuberent. Kind regards, Graham Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Pretty good value. It's about a 5 minute walk from the station. Taxi to the pier costs £6.80. It has a lounge bar, a restaurant and a few other rooms which looked like function rooms. It also has a gym, a swimming pool with jacuzzi. The decor was a bit 1980s, however, and needs some work. Staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Probably better on 2nd floor, looking out towards the front.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Macehill, Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Regards, Graham Phillips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Just got home from 3 lovely nights at the Elstead Hotel a lovely hotel and good value for money with friendly staff good food and spotlessly clean . We upgraided our room so we had a big room, ok as others have said needs updateing on the decor but that is really the only downside of this hotel if they did that then wow , deff go back one day thank for a good holiday

Room Tip: If its a large room you want go for the double room with seperate bathroom , our room was on the sid...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dennis B, Thank you for a lovely review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you will be returning so we will look forward to seeing you back at The Elstead Hotel.
Kind regards, Graham Phillips
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Booked on a whim at a reasonable price last minute. Reasonable room and good food. Spoilt somewhat by a very hot towel rail - I still have a burn mark 4 days later. A lot of noise from a generator or air con outside my room window. Ceiling fan was excellent.

Room Tip: Don't overlook the roof at the front.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Barry
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry for the excessively hot towel rail and can inform you that following a comment about it to receptioon, the towel rail has been turned down. Regards, Graham Phillips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I had a really enjoyable stay last weekend at the Elstead. The staff made us feel very welcome and we were treated as special guests. They were always on hand to help and would actually take the time to ask what we had planned during our stay and when we returned they would ask us how it went. The room was very small, but very comfortable and the leisure facilities were great. There was a great selection at breakfast, including poached fish, which was delicious. The walk into town was very pleasant, only just over a mile. I would most definitely be staying there again on my next trip. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff about your wants and needs and if they are able to provide what you are looking fo...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Embutton74
Thank you for a great review and it is always a joy to hear that we have ensured guests have an enjoyable time. I have passed on your comments to the Team here at The Elstead and we hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Graham Phillips
Crewe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for five nights .The hotel is a fifteen minute walk to the seafront.we had a double room with an extra bed for our son,the room was spotless and a very good size.The breakfast was very very nice and we really enjoyed it.The staff are friendly and make you feel very welcome,we had a lovely hholiday and wouldnt hesitate to go back as we found it exellent value for money

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Joe1721
Thank you for taking the trouble of writing a review on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you enjoy your stay. I am also pleased that you found the stay good value. We are always doing special deals on our own website so keep an eye out for some bargains for a future stay.
Kind regards, Graham Phillips
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Was nice enough for one night but room quite small and ceiling fan no where near the bed so pretty pointless on a hot stuffy night. Also got woken up early by knocking on the door to see if we had left so they could clean the room. Booked through last minute.com as a secret hotel but now regret it as could of got some where nicer for the same price. Pool area is nice though.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Helena, Thank you for your review and I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay as a secret hotel. Regards Graham Phillips

Been to Elstead Hotel? Share your experiences!