“Superb Hotel - Lovey Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel

You added Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel to your Saves list
Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Michaels Road | West Cliff, Bournemouth BH2 5DU, England   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #18 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Burton On Trent
“Superb Hotel - Lovey Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have stayed at the Highcliff many times and I have to say it is a lovely hotel. The staff are always very welocming and friendly and the location is excellent. So close to everything.
I have already previously written a review on this hotel but felt that I had to write one again as the staff never cease to 'WoW' me.
My husband and I arrived really early and decided to pay and have breakfast never expecting our room to be ready. However Peter Wilkinson the Reception manager was superb and very professional. He found us a lovely cottage room that was already serviced and allowed us to check in. His 'can do' attitude and friendly welcome was excellent. This early check in was very much appreciated.
The following day we took advantage of the lovely weather and sat by the pool. Here we met Darian Abley who is one of the pool attendants. Darian is lovely. He is friendly, helpful and welcoming and a pleasure to talk to. He most clearly loves his job. Weather permitting Darian cooks on a BBQ and easily persuaded us to try what he had cooked. The chicken burger with salad was superb and sensibly priced at £6. It was very tasty and great to eat your lunch whilst sat on your sunbed.
My only negative comments this time of the hotel is that the breakfast was no where as nice as the previous times we have stayed. Whether this was because the hotel was very busy but it apprears that 'corners have been cut'. All of the preserves are now in pots next to the toaster. You have to help yourself. Gone are the small individual pots on the table. There was also no sign of any honey. When I asked for it none could be found. The cooked breakfast was also dried and not as tasty as I have experienced at this hotel. All of the staff though were friendly and helpful. All in all a poor breakfast with not a great deal of choice.
The cottage bedroom we stayed in was nice with a lovely garden/sea view. The bathroom is very small and dated and in need or refurbishment. Thank goodness there is air con in this room or we would have swealtered. It is not a room I would choose again as the rooms in the main hotel building overlooking the sea are the best.
I did not stay for dinner this time due to other commitments but I am sure it would be good as it always has been when I have eaten in the hotel on previous occasions and as I have kept on saying, the staff are lovely.
All I can say is that the 2 members of staff that really shone on this stay was Peter and Darian. Every hotel need a Peter or Darian that offer the same customer service that they gave my husband and I.

Room Tip: 513 is one of the cottages overlooking the gardens and sea. It has a very tiny bathroom but is a ni...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

My self and partner went for one night brake , We didn't have a sea view room and as they were booked up we up graded to one of the cottage rooms.Steve the Lead Concierge show us our room then the room we up grade to The front of house staff are so warm welcoming and helpful
The outside heated pool is a real joy the only thing we didn't like is that you couldn't order alcohol . Our evening meal was outstanding and service was wonderful with the charming staff
Hightcliff is a real gem in Bournemouth so relaxed and laid back
Thank you to all the staff and see you soon
Roy & Chris

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
A great post and again our Mr Steve Pini being mentioned, he is a star and we certainly value him here at the Highcliff.
Our outdoor pool is open now every day for drinks and food, we have taken your comments on board and will certainly be looking to get this opened earlier next year!
Thanks again and I hope to see you back with us at the Highcliff soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed for one night in a lovely room at the Marriot Highcliff. The location is perfect - just a short walk up from the beach, overlooking the pier and Bournemouth Beach in it's entirety. Check in was very smooth, as whilst the room wasn't ready when we arrived prior to our check in time, we received a call (before check in at 3pm) to let us know as soon as the room was ready! Parking is £10 a day, which is fairly standard for the larger hotel chains in the area, but may not always be available, particularly during peak times as it is also available to use by non-guests who which to park in a premium location! Whilst the views were spectacular, and the rooms of a lovely quality, the hotel was let down ultimately on it's service. After a long day out, we ordered food from the hotel room service at 10pm, and were advised it would be with us within 40 minutes. After nearly an hour, and a follow up call, it was evident the order had not actually been placed, and we received further assurances that the food would be with us shortly. After an hour and a half, the food did arrive with us, and whilst we appreciated the hotel making our meals free of charge due to this error, we wouldn't have been happy to pay a penny for the food! My fiance ordered the Chicken Caesar Salad, which seemed to consist of lettuce ends and rubbery chicken, whilst my Burger was dangerously under-cooked, and red throughout! For the price you might be paying for this food, there needs to be some serious improvement. Breakfast seems to be another hot topic for this hotel, with several reviews picking up on the obvious flaws. The service at breakfast is shambolic, with plenty of staff, but seemingly no structure to who is performing what function. When we arrived, there seemed to be several deserted tables but not enough staff to clean them in order to seat all the guests. In addition, it took a while for fresh glasses to arrive in order to get cold drinks, and myself and my fiance were not offered a hot drink throughout our breakfast experience. The food itself at breakfast seemed fine, however, the service is not what you expect from the standard of hotel. To be fair to the hotel, on checkout we were offered a full refund of breakfast in light of our poor experience, which was a greatly appreciated gesture, and I only hope the service is reviewed as this would be the difference to the hotel becoming a wonderful place to stay, especially during peak season when it will only get busier! A thank you to the lady on the desk who was able to listen to and resole the issues for us on departure.

Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Came down from London for a family wedding, tried to book in early but room wasn't available no problem we were able to use the fantastic facilities at the hotels spa and pool complex.
Helpful and happy staff at reception made things easy. Great room very clean great comfy bed.
Breakfast was fantastic overlooking the sea on a lovely day, the only down side was the same as in all hotels the room was too hot at night, that apart it was a fantastic stay.would recommend and go again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I have shared your comments with my team as we continue to strive to deliver this level of service every day.
Thank you again and see you soon back with us at the Highcliff.
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

What an amazing experience at the Highcliff Marriott, a hotel with an outstanding position overlooking miles of golden sand in Bournemouth. From the moment we arrived to when we left we were "spoilt rotten". The staff were amazingly attentive with a special mention for Rebecca the front desk manager and Steve the lead concierge. Not to mention the golfing chef who fed us with the most hearty of breakfasts. Nothing was too much trouble for anybody.

We upgraded our room to 117 which had a stunning see view with huge bed and all the mod cons. We were spoilt too by the weather during our stay but the air conditioning in the room kept us really comfortable at night. We spent most of our time on the beach which was exceptionally clean with clear water. A short five minute walk away, or the option of using the cliff railway the beach offered shops, amusements restaurant and bars together with activities. A definite gem in Bournemouth ... never to be forgotten.

Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed 4 nights recently. Our room was a suite with the most wonderful sea views. It really made our stay more enjoyable. The room was big with a nice space. I slept on the sofa bed as I was staying with my Mother. A bit uncomfortable - but fine. Bathroom had plenty of clean towels and the cleaning of the room was good. The mini bar however was dirty and did not work very well. I think it needs updating with a new one.

Breakfast was really good on the first morning. However it went downhill as the week went on. At 9.15 AM on our last morning. There was no-one in charge of making sure all was running smoothly. All the jars of marmalade and jams were empty and just left that way. They ran out of melon, cakes and croissants. And the fried eggs which had already been cooked and just standing there - were hard and lukewarm(not very nice). There was no chef present. When I asked for a tea cup instead of a mug for my mother. This is exactly what came from the waitress - she brought a cup without a saucer ("sorry she said its my first day") And explained she received no training). Should I have been more specific?.When the saucer did arrive they did not match. Its almost funny! We did laugh about it!.

I did use the swimming pool areas - it needs a serious update.

Overall we did have a pleasant stay - shame about the food not being very good. We could of done without the trek into town to find decent food to eat.

What makes this hotel good is the staff who are friendly and most helpful. A special thank you to Steve Pini the Lead Concierge. He is the kind of person that really understands what great service is all about!.

Room Tip: Get a sea view on a higher floor. The views are great.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
BarbaraR58,
Thank you for your post, a great title and great comments around our famous Steve Pini, thank you for this and he will be recognised for the level of service he delivers constantly.
Certainly some areas for me to look at and you can be assured today myself and my Restaurant Manager have put some additional training in place for next week.
Mini bars are already on their way, some new ones this week so glad to see we will get this resolved for your next visit to us.
Our outdoor pool area has certainly had a makeover from last year but we have some way to go, this is one aspect that we continuously look at, leave it with us!
I trust we will be able to welcome you back to the Highcliff soon, please give me a call when your next visiting as it would be great to meet with you.
Thank you again and see you soon.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Marriot are now paying ParkingEye to annoy their customers if they don’t register their car with the ParkingEye database in time. £100 fine for those who forget or are too slow.

According to Siobhan in the restaurant, it happens all the time. My suggestion? Cards on the dining room tables reminding customers that they should check at least once through lunch their car is registered – because it has already been photographed by the spy in the sky.

As for breakfast, excellent value & quality, very friendly service and a very relaxing venue.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ihowis,
Thank you for your post, as per our recent communication it is great to see that we were able to get this ticket cancelled for you.
We do endeavour to inform all of our guests about the parking arrangements here at the Highcliff through the 20 or more signs in the car park and communicating this through our teams.
Thank you for your comments around the other aspects of your stay with us and I do trust we will see you again with us in the very near future.
Director of Operations

Been to Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!