“---STOP PRESS--- Highcliff Marriot Hotel pay ParkingEye to annoy their customers ----” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel

You added Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel to your Saves list
Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Michaels Road | West Cliff, Bournemouth BH2 5DU, England   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #18 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Marriot are now paying ParkingEye to annoy their customers if they don’t register their car with the ParkingEye database in time. £100 fine for those who forget or are too slow.

According to Siobhan in the restaurant, it happens all the time. My suggestion? Cards on the dining room tables reminding customers that they should check at least once through lunch their car is registered – because it has already been photographed by the spy in the sky.

As for breakfast, excellent value & quality, very friendly service and a very relaxing venue.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Ihowis,
Thank you for your post, as per our recent communication it is great to see that we were able to get this ticket cancelled for you.
We do endeavour to inform all of our guests about the parking arrangements here at the Highcliff through the 20 or more signs in the car park and communicating this through our teams.
Thank you for your comments around the other aspects of your stay with us and I do trust we will see you again with us in the very near future.
Kind regards
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Great Ouseburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I attended a Conference at the Marriott this week. The hotel staff were very helpful in helping setting up our stands especially "David Ryan". The food and the service at the hotel were excellent. A great place to explore the south coast from.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Florida City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Enjoyable stay at this hotel. Only objection is that it should not take 15/20 minutes to cook a breakfast omelette. Other aspects of hospitality were rather erratic. Some was very good like the restaurant manager and others were quite lacking as in Reception.

Room Tip: Frequent visitor to this hotel and have never got what I was promised. Rooms at the back face a nois...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
ddd3112,
Thank you for your post, it is great to see that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I have fed your comments back through to our chef and the other relevant departments and you can be assured we are looking to see how we can speed up the process during our peak breakfast times and continuing to meet the high level of service that we pride ourselves on across the entire hotel.
See you again soon.
La Llosa, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed here for one night and found every thing to be really good.. The room and service was professional and we were provided with the kind of service you would expect from a Marriott hotel.

On first inspection the everything looked great in the room, but there were a few little things that let the room down. The main issue was the fridge in our room, it was filthy.. which surprised us!

Dan B,
Thank you for a great overall post, I am pleased to see you enjoyed yourself with us at the Highcliff. Apologies about the fridge in the room, today we have checked them all!
I trust we will see you back with us at the Highcliff very soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I paid a premium price for the hotel room but, I don't feel I got a premium service. I stay in a lot of Marriott hotels in the USA and I guess I was expecting the same service here in the UK.
The hotel was of a great standard. The location was amazing and the outdoor pool area was perfect. The gym area was good enough to do a workout in although in need of an update.
What stops me from giving a very good or excellent rating is the following.
I wanted to book a taxi for a dinner reservation and called the 'at your service' department. I had no answer and was ringing for around five minutes.
Also, breakfast in the morning was like chaos. I appreciate it is a very busy time but, at an experienced hotel I wouldn't expect to ask for coffee twice and ask if there are any more scrambled eggs coming etc. There were a lot of staff but, it didn't seem like they were organised productively. The staff were friendly and once prompted a response was quick.
Great hotel, great stay but, my only concern is the value for money. With an average experience I paid too much.

LeeC17,
Thank you for your post and I am pleased to hear that overall you had a great stay with us at the Highcliff.
I have passed your comments onto the relevant Managers and I can assure you that today we have spent time reviewing these 2 areas to ensure we continue to deliver the efficient service that we pride ourselves on.
I trust we will see you back at the Highcliff and sunny Bournemouth very soon and please feel free to contact myself directly on 01202 557702 so I can personally oversee your future booking with us.
Yours sincerely
Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

My husband planned a weekend away in Bournemouth to celebrate our 1st Wedding Anniversary.

We arrived at the Highcliff at around 12.30pm on a Saturday afternoon and the car park was nearly full. I'd definitely advise arriving early if you're relying on the hotels car park!! Also, we found a space and were blocked in several times. We ended up eating in the hotels restaurant that evening as the car was blocked in (admittedly we didnt ask at Reception about it - and we later discovered that they had the keys to the blocking car so it wasnt really an issue!)

We didnt expect to be able to check in until 3pm. This wasnt an issue as we were planning on having a wander around to find the beach etc and grab some lunch. However, we were pleasantly surprised to find that our room was ready and it was nice to drop our bags and unpack the essentials. We found that our room was quite small, although the bathroom was huge! But it was clean and tidy and provided us with everything we needed. The windows had been left open and it was a very hot day, we chose to close them and put the air con on whilst we went out and it was lovely a cool when got back. First time air con has actually worked in a hotel we've stayed in!!

We made our way down to the beach, the pier is a 5-10 minute walk to the left of the hotel and we visited the Oceanarium there (my husband loves that kind of thing!) Then we had a stroll along the beach, back towards the hotel and used the Highcliff Lift facility. I'm pregnant and would've found the uphill walk quite difficult. However, the lift cost just £1.25 per person and we were able to claim that money back by buying a drink in the hotel bar!

My husband had booked some treatments for me in the spa that is attached to the hotel. We made our way there around 2.30pm and got changed into our swimming toggs. If the weather is nice, try and secure a decent lounger at the outside pool. It's absolutely lush and we literally felt we could've been abroad!!! My first treatment (pedicure) was at 3pm and lasted around 45mins. It was lovely, no complaints there. My second treatment was a manicure and although the therapist was a lovely lady, her nail painting skills were a lot to be desired and I couldnt help but feel I could've done a better job of a french polish. Considering the treatments were £33 (EACH!) I thought it was a bit steep and shouldve been 100% for that price.

We were a bit peckish as we'd skipped lunch for the aquarium so we got a panini (£5!!!!) to keep us going.

Went back up to the room and got showered and changed for dinner and went down to the restaurant for our reservation at 8pm. Restaurant want lovely, VERY elaborate menu but a good variety of choices and something for everyone. A little pricey but nothing out of the ordinary for a nice restaurant/hotel. There was a slight wait (around 45 mins) between the starter and main course but it wasnt really an issue as we enjoyed the time to overlook the sea and a good chit chat with just the two of us!

We were up early for breakfast (which was absolutely lovely!!) and then went back to the outside pool for a few hours before departing.

All in all, I'd say it was a lovely trip and we enjoyed ourselves immensly. Staff were very helpful and couldnt have done more for us! Would recommend for sure :)

Room Tip: We were near the lift in the Dorchester part of the hotel but had no noise. It was just a little cra...
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I had a lovely weekend there last year which was why I returned...oh dear!
On booking my husband asked for a specific room and was told it was no problem but on arrival we were informed we were not able to request a certain room. I have an extreme feather allergy so asked for them to be removed which they were but we were not given a quilt. When we requested one we were given a stained grotty looking blanket which was replaced after I phoned housekeeping.
The muslin curtains were torn and dusty with cobwebs.
Breakfast was ok. It's £10 per day to park in the Marriott car park which is odd. We only stayed one night and paid £230...the sea view was nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Tony E, Manager at Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
JennyB1962,
Thank you for your comments and it is such a shame we have clearly not met your expectations at the time of your visit.
Can I encourage you to contact myself directly as currently I am unable to locate any record of your comments from your stay, my number is 01202 557702.
This is certainly not to our normal standard that our guests expect and it would be great to have some time with you to understand in more detail your comments which will aid me in addressing them internally.
I trust I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Highcliff.
Director of Operations

Been to Bournemouth Highcliff Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!