“Back to the 1970s.” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Wareham, United Kingdom
“Back to the 1970s.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

My wife and I regularly eat in Bournemouth, and regarding good restaurants, we are spoilt for choice, (do read some of my other reviews). Having driven past the Amalfi, we thought it would be worth a go, but it proved to be quite a disappointment. As soon as we entered the restaurant, the decor had that tired look which should have given us a clue. Sitting in a basement area with no access to windows didn't help. The staff were welcoming, but as soon as we were handed the menu, I could see very little that I wanted to eat. Eventually I opted for the avocado with prawns as a starter, but when it arrived, it was a rather brownish avocado covered with a large dollop of marie rose sauce. I did count four, very small shrimps. Where was the imagination I wondered?

In fairness, the main meal was OK, (linguini pescatore), however I also asked for a side salad; this comprised four small pieces of tomato, thinly sliced cucumber on a bed of iceberg lettuce. Even just a couple of olives might have spiced it up. It really reminded me of those inadequate Italian restaurants back in the 1970s.

Relative to other similar restaurants in Bournemouth, it certainly wasn't cheap, the atmosphere was dull and overall the food was disappointing. The staff were efficient, but that is all I can recommend in it's favour.

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Exeter, England, United Kingdom
“Decent Basic Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Ambience is a bit run down but the food is good and plentiful with a glass of chilled beer served by a pleasant Turkish guy who appears to be the owner

Visited April 2014
Romsey, United Kingdom
“Authentic Italian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Nothing bad to say about this lovely Italian restaurant. My husbands steak was first class and cooked to perfection and my bolognese was great.
The atmosphere is very pleasant and staff are friendly.
Well worth a visit!

Visited April 2014
Ringwood, United Kingdom
“great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

i go here often as the food is very good and the staff very friendly and give great service good menu plenty of choice for a great taste of italy well worth a visit.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Great Italian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We booked to have dinner at the Amalfi, without knowing much about it, and discovered that it has a warm atmosphere, a real Italian feel about it, and most importantly delicious well cooked food. We both had the linguine pescatore, which tasted wonderful, after a shared starter of asparagus parmigiana, which was beautifully cooked. The desserts were also delicious. We had chocolate mousse gateaux and lemon tiramisu.

Visited March 2014