“Family getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Andover, United Kingdom
“Family getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We booked this hotel on line at a really good online price for two adults and two children. We liked the location and the fact that it had a swimming pool and wi fi. We checked in an hour early before checking in time and they didn't mind at all. We were shown to our lovely family room that was very clean and comfortable. However I found that I did not have wi fi which I really needed as I had a project that I wanted to get finished. I spoke to a very nice receptionist names Georgie who was extremely helpful in sorting us out another room that turned out to be a suite which was amazing. Her manner along with another member of staff were amazing . Just me asking them nicely was enough for them to sort us all out. We will defo be going back to this hotel and would certainly recommend this hotel for a good location near the beach along with a nice swimming pool (even tho it was a lot smaller than the picture) and very friendly staff right down to the caretaker who was polite helping us to gain entrance to the Channing rooms

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Nice pleasant hotel - but the rooms are freezing during winter as the heating does not work.

The service is absolutely brilliant but the breakfast is VERY rubbery.

Room service - always forget items!

Very slim quilts

Needs to have more attention on the breakfast - its very rubbery.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed here with my boyfriend in October as a lovely birthday treat from my parents. They payed for a lovely room with a balcony, but when the hotel found out it was my birthday they upgraded us to a massive suite with a spa bath, a four poster bed, a sofa and arm chairs. It was so lovely! We had a corner room so had four windows in different directions, one of which faced onto the main road, this didn't give us any problems and it was lovely and quiet!
The hotel is perfectly placed and it takes less than five minutes to walk into town or to the bars and clubs. We had drinks in the hotel bar in the evening and the service was faultless, our waiter was a lovely young man. The staff generally were fab. Extremely polite and helpful.
When we went down for breakfast in the morning, we asked for a hot chocolate to break the tea or coffee tradition! it took them about ten minutes to track down the hot chocolate as they "lost" it! But when it arrived, it did so in huge posh glasses with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles on top - we felt so spoilt! The breakfast itself was brilliant, a huge selection, very satisfying. Again, all the staff were brilliant.
Literally nothing I can fault about this place. Would go back in a heartbeat.
You made my birthday a very memorable one. Thank you very much! :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel does benefit from being very central, but if you get a room facing the main road, you'll be listening to buses and drunk students up to about midnight, and then buses and hungover students from 6am the next morning.

My first room had a problem with the electrics so I was upgraded to a much larger and comfortable room along the hallway, well done to the management to reacting quickly and positively.

Car park is free and behind the hotel, although for my 4x4 the entrance and exit is extremely tight.

Breakfast was a let down, I was 'greeted' (no, not really, I was 'met') by a very grumpy eastern european lady, who made me wait at the door while she sorted out some needless detail. She asked me if I wanted tea or coffee, I chose the latter, then waited 5 minutes while plenty of staff milled around not bringing it. I tried to flag down Mrs Grumpy, who rather than come to my table to see what I wanted elected to shout across the restaurant that my coffee was indeed arriving from somewhere. Dreadful. The food itself was excellent, shame about the poor attitude and lack of customer focus.

I'll be trying the Premiere Inn next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

just stayed here for 3 nights. first room they put me in was on the third floor and was one of the smallest rooms I have seen in years and due to my work I spend a lot of time in hotels I stayed in over 40 hotels last year. It was tiny with a very small bed and a tiny window. Also the room was quite shabby and a bit grubby .I found stains on the table front that looked like a drink had been spilled there and left for a long while. It was also very badly laid out with a huge TV in comparison to the size of the room but placed on a side wall "the only wall big enough to take it" which meant the only way you could watch it was to stand with yourself under the sloping eve of the roof about 3ft from the huge screen.Also it was at the front of the building on a very busy noisy street and it was single glazed. In fact one of the windows was held closed with a piece of cardboard presumably to keep it closed and stop the draft/rattling. I asked if I could change my room and they said they were quite full but would look. .they said they had no rooms available so I pointed out that I would check out and find somewhere else as my wife was visiting for the night and the room wasn't fit for one let alone two people (in fairness they did not know my wife was coming) the helpful receptionist said she would look again and they did find me another room.It was ok but again a little on the worn side and a bit tired.
the breakfast was awful with a very poor choice and quality of food and I have had better food at "Ramada encores" which do not pretend to be "fine quality hotels" Only I had breakfast as only myself was officially booked into the hotel. on checking out the hotel had charged me an extra £30 for my wife staying overnight? I know she was an extra but no hotel has ever charged us before as you normally are booking a room (she did not have breakfast as we hadn't paid for this) I feel this is a bit of sharp practice
overall the hotel was worn and tired and didn't seem to care very much. the front of house staff were friendly and helpful.The breakfast was bordering on awful and considering the price per night there are much better hotels in Bournemouth. It is pretending to be some thing it is not I fear

Room Tip: other people in our party had much better rooms so I guess its a lottery
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Had sunday afternoon tea here in Summer only because across the road (Print room was fully booked). Could sit outside on balcony bit which was nice but sandwiches very very stale- It doesn't take a lot of effort to make a few sandwiches. Free underground parking which is always a bonus that close to town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

With parents that live in Bournemouth and are happy to look after our kids for one night, our annual wedding anniversary celebrations are now focussed on picking a top hotel close to Bournemouth. Last two years we've stayed at Chewton Glen (special anniversary!) and The Haven on Sandbanks, so the Norfolk Royale had a lot to live up to - and didn't disappoint. Right from the first phone call to the time we left, we received service that consistently went the extra mile - and really made our stay a treat.

On phoning to book, I was offered the honeymoon suite when I mentioned it was our anniversary - and would recommend anyone to try to trade up to that suite (room 220). Contemporary furnished, huge sunken jacuzzi bath, massive bed and walk-in wardrobe.

Half price champagne (on Fridays), tasty menu at Dinner - service was great - with our petit fours plate having "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate piping around the edge. All the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough to help - for instance I asked James on reception if we could have some more milk cartons for the room. Housekeeping was closed so James went to the kitchen, got a jug, filled with milk, and took it up to our room and put into the mini bar for us (with some extra biscuits too!)

After a morning swim in a deserted pool, breakfast was freshly cooked to order and even better than dinner. We asked if we could extend check-out til midday - no problem said James again. Eventually, having checked-out, left the car in the car park and gone shopping in Bournemouth, we finally left the hotel at 3pm - to smiles, and "hope we'll see you again".

Only negatives - 220 doesn't have much of a view - perfect for winter trips - but maybe not summer. Pool was actually a bit hot! And lighting in the restaurant was a bit bright at dinner - how about dimming main lights & having candles on the table? Some of the hotel was being refurbished - and there are a few parts that are showing their age,

However, positives were far higher - service was fantastic - matching Chewton Glen (& so much better than The Haven), room 220 is wonderful,the hotel location great for walking easily into Bournemouth, and the room rate was awesome value. Stay here!

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite room 220
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Norfolk Royale Hotel? Share your experiences!