“Possibly the worst Xmas Party experience in my life” 1 of 5 stars

The Queens Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Meyrick Road, Bournemouth BH1 1DL, England   |
Ranked #45 of 71 Hotels in Bournemouth
Poole, United Kingdom
“Possibly the worst Xmas Party experience in my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Where, oh where does one start?
Well, inadequate parking for a start, and finally checked in after the two girls on the front desk tried to cope with the 27 guests queuing that I counted.
Ah well, let’s get dressed and treat ourselves to some champers, as it’s Christmas after all; or so we thought. The main bar was manic, so the duty manageress asked us to go into the one near the dinner setting. The barman wasn’t ready and there followed a tense exchange of words between them, after she tried to grab his attention to us as champagne-buying customers. Her eyes were clearly ringing pound signs, his were looking to the heavens.
The listed Laurent Perrier Rose was “not available – in fact, it shouldn’t be on there anymore”, so I guess that was a dropped line, so we had to accept the ‘house’ label at £39 a bottle. I knew this was not going to be good.
So, a semi-chilled bottle was unceremoniously plonked on the bar – why take it out on us? – so I had to ask for an ice bucket. We got a wine cooler with ice in the bottom, so absolutely no way was that going to chill it properly. I had to ask the barman if he wouldn’t mind opening it too, which he finally did.
Of course, glasses also had to be asked for – and two flutes (of differing sizes) were offered. Both barman and I looked at between each other, the bottle and the glasses like a scene from a spaghetti western until I gave up and told him that I presumed I would have to pour it too, or else my wife and I might be waiting until Christmas 2014 to get any sort of drink.
And yes, you could put distilled vinegar through a Sodastream and get a better result than this stuff – Champagne, my backside!
The so-called James Bond themed Christmas Party was laughable. The decorations must have used all of the, what, 20 quid decorations budget? The only significant detail being an ice sculpture of the 007 logo for people to pour their vodka shots through. How classy! A poster of Daniel Craig and a few fold-out silhouette-style Bond-women does not a Bond Evening make.
So, on to the dinner...
Well, my soup was clearly yesterday’s leftover veg blended and peppered to within an inch of its life, as it certainly wasn’t butternut. Oh, and the lack of soup spoons meant having to use my dessert spoon, which wasn’t replaced.... as was the lack of butter knives which meant that the main course knife was unceremoniously dumped back on the table to be reused again. My wife’s salmon pate ‘thing’ was served with two small crackers about the size of Ritz, so it had to be spooned on about an inch think, and the side salad of rocket was as limp as tissue paper.
Main course – allegedly a traditional Christmas dinner – was one slice of tepid turkey on a bed of almost liquid stuffing.... just how can you make stuffing so badly as to be a pool on the plate? How?! How is that achievable?!!!!!
Vegetable side dishes were hit and miss. Sprouts were well overcooked, and the ‘roast’ potatoes were nearly blackened in most cases, but soggy skinned where they were cooked in trays of oil, and not roasted properly. Carrots were okay...when we finally got them. We had three tables and all of us seemed to get different timings.
No accompaniments – my request for “any cranberry sauce” was met with derision.
The pre-ordered table wine didn’t arrive until after we were finishing the main courses, and that was only after we had to complain. It was not worth waiting for. The White, Red and Rose were dreadful, even for house wine. I photographed the labels on my phone and looked them up the next day. They are just about the cheapest wholesale wine you can buy from the main wholesalers in the Bournemouth area.
Dessert? A slice of sort of sugar-meringue roulade, that was clearly from the Makro frozen food department.
In all, Makro, or a similar cash and carry, clearly did some good business that day on the food, as it most certainly was not freshly prepared, and for the cost involved, it was a total rip off.
Coffee was poured unceremoniously into the dirty cup –I asked for another – then got so much milk poured into it, it was cooled down too much. My request to have a decent cup of coffee poured was met with incredulous looks from the, mostly European, staff. Need I say more.
Own-branded equivalents of Eliz Shaw mint crisps were saucered onto the table as if to attempt to conjure up some golden flourish to the meal.
So what “casino night” delights did we have to enjoy after? The advertised “casino night” was hopefully going to redeem the event.
Alas, no.
Two, yes two(!), casino tables set up, each having no more than eight player slots available. A roulette table and a Blackjack table, with the roulette table backing onto the bar, so one side was effectively out of play. And these TWO tables supposed to serve what must have been nearly 200 people.
And that finished at 11, so by the time that ‘dinner’ had been thrown into our lives, we had about an hour of ‘fun’. Fun? Oh yes, what larks Pip!
Onto some post-dinner drinks then... more of the only champagne in the house, or some shots? Well, a nice glass of cognac perhaps? Nope... cheaper brandy lines only (seriously?) at 4 quid a shot ? served in a dessert wine glass? Ah well, the joke has gone past the point of caring now.
The less said about the room, the better.
Breakfast the next day? Surely you cannot get breakfast wrong in a hotel in one of Britain’s top seaside resorts? Oh yes you can!
Reconstituted powdered orange juice (seriously?) – why don’t you just serve orange squash next time and at least give the guests some semblance of orange flavour.
No brown bread available for toast, catering pack defrosted croissants – I know because I see them in Makro’s freezers – and cheap catering baked beans. Dreadful and, frankly, embarrassing.
All in all, a complete joke and someone at the Queen’s Hotel had a very good laugh on Sunday morning knowing that he/she has charged a shedload for rooms and dinners that were a complete travesty to the hospitality industry.
No, I will never again set foot in the Queen’s Hotel, and will certainly never take any corporate business there, or advise any friends or colleagues to use this venue.
BTW, the only reason you are getting one star, is because TripAdvisor won’t let me enter zero.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your James Bond evening. I will have a look into this as we do not like to hear that anyone is disappointed.
James Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I have just left the Queens Hotel after a two night stay to visit friends at Bournemouth University. The hotel is really friendly, a nice receptionist Auriele checked us in and was very helpful as we didn't know where we were meeting our friends for drinks. The hotel is in an excellent location - close to the cliff top and just a short walk to the beach and town. Our room was comfortable and nice and quiet so we got a good nights sleep. We made use of the leisure facilities, had a swim and even treated ourselves to a little pampering in the spa. The bar was really nice and duty manager John (very knowledgable about the local area) said that it had just been renovated. I would recommend the hotel to other friends and family, a good place to stay. Will be booking again when my friends graduate next year in November - or sooner if a good deal comes up.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your outstanding review. We do feel that we have some great staff here at the Queens. I will ensure that I congratulate both Aurelie and John on their performance.
Thank you once again and look forward to your return.
Bursledon, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

The company I work for booked our Christmas party at The Queens Hotel. It was a 'James Bond' themed evening. The food was beautiful and considering the number of people being catered for all was hot. The staff were extremely helpful through out the evening. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your glowing review. We really do appreciate your positive comments and look forward to seeing you in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Just spent weekend 14th - 15th December 2014 at hotel had a great weekend staff were wonderful very friendly and helpful. Food was excellent . As we stayed for 2 nights would have liked a refurbished room but we got room 404 which was right at top and down a few corridors but room was clean. Would stay again as had a fab time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your excellent Trip Advisor review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Queens. When you decide to return, please request one of our newly refurbished rooms as we are constantly updating them.
Dunstable, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed with ten friends for a Christmas reunion and the whole experience was very disappointing.
We were given a table in the bar area next to customers queuing for drinks, because the restaurant
was fully booked, even though when we booked weeks ago we were assured a party of eleven was not a problem. To make the experience worse, every time a smoker went in or out of the front door, we were subjected to a blast of cold air.
No apology was given by management only a portable heater was produced.
Rooms are extremely tired and dated.
My advise is avoid this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am sorry to hear that your experience was disappointing and that the smokers opened the door and you cold. Unfortunately we can't control when some other guests wish to smoke. However, please come back and try us again and we will ensure that you are seated away from the door. Please contact our General Manager if you choose to return.
bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had our running club christmas party here in 2012 and it was that good we all decided to come back in 2013! We all had a whale of a time and the service was amazing! You certainly get what you pay for and more, we were all saying a few days later that 2014 we want it there again!!! We loved it all, food, rooms, cleanliness and hospitality and professionalism..thankyou so much and see you all nest year if not before x

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your excellent Trip Advisor review. I am please to hear that you had such a good time at your running club Christmas party. Looking forward to welcoming you back next year.
bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We booked this break with Living Social in July, and as I had had a hip replacement, we picked the last possible date to stay. BIG mistake. When I rang the hotel. I requested a reserved parking space at a cost of £5 a night, which they said would be very near the entrance, as I had seen on some reviews that it was impossible to park in the Hotel car park and the only place left was on the road, which could have been too far for me to walk. You've guessed it, when we arrived, no reserved parking space. My husband went in and the receptionist said she would sort it, straight away. The foyer was in the middle of being painted, and not before time. We had an afternoon tea with our deal, so we decided to take that when we arrived, but were told we would have to eat it in the bar as the restaurant was being set up for a James Bond party night. The tea was okay, although a cream tea should come with plain scones, not fruit, which I hate. On arriving at our room, we discovered that in order to open the wardrobe, we had to lift one of the bucket chairs on to one of the twin beds!! The sink in the bathroom was in a disgusting state. The only redeeming feature was the bowl of fresh fruit. When we had unpacked, we again went out to find our parking space. Alas - nowhere to be seen AGAIN. Once more we asked, and were told that by the time we came back from town, it would be sorted. We arrived back at 5.30pm and ...........no reserved parking space to be seen. My husband managed to drop me off and park our car, while I went inside, told them to forget the parking space, and that we obviously wouldn't be paying the reservation fee. When we went into the Foyer to go out for our evening meal, it was obvious that if we moved the car, we would not be able to park it again, because of all the parties, so we had to get a taxi. Alarm bells started to ring in respect of the anticipated noise, when we read a sign on the wall which requested all windows and doors to be closed by 11 and that if ear plugs were needed, they were available at reception!! We were 4 floors up, and could hear every word the DJ said. It was horrendous. Breakfast was an okay affair, but cold. We had booked dinner for the second evening, but were again, hustled into the bar - we were the only ones in there who were eating and felt very embarassed. I have read the reviews on the food received by the various parties, and can heartily agree with their comments. We also had the same choice, and the food was atrocious. One of the waitresses offered us a free drink, and I requested a Tia Maria liquor coffee. Another big mistake! She had oblviously never made one in her life, and a white coffee arrived, which didn't taste of Tia Maria at all! We got ear plugs for the 2nd night, but could still hear the noise. I wouldn't go back to this very tired hotel again if they paid me to. It was the worst break we have ever had and we have been on dozens over the years.

Room Tip: Stay in a different Hotel completely!