“Superb staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
West Malling, United Kingdom
“Superb staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my seven year old geandaughter and unfortunately We had to vacate our room due to the severe storm and spent our first night in the hotel reception .The staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and
the next day they found us an alternative room and offered us complimentary dinner for 2 nights as compensation which we were very happy with as the storm
was not the hotels fault !
The restaurant food and service were excellent and efficient
Whilst the rooms are a little tired they are undergoing a refurbishment programme but the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff more than make up for this
We found the owner approachable and in attendance on all three days that we are there and all staff very professional
We have stayed in 5 star hotels that may have had better facilities and better decorated rooms but they have not provided the friendly helpful assistance that this hotel offered. We would certainly stay there again

• Stayed October 2013
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor, and for being so understanding about sleeping in reception due to the storm... I do hope the first night was not too bad for you. Thank you for your comments about our staff and about me, I do remember you and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
James Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My partner and myself stayed at the hotel over a weekend with a group of similar people. We paid a little extra and had a superior room, which was quite spacious and clean with a fair size en suite, although the windows were old, which caused a draft. The hotel looked a bit tired in some areas, which a lick of paint would remedy. Breakfast and dinner were of a good standard, but the only issue I had with the evening meal, was when I asked for a scoop of ice cream to go with my dessert I was told it would be an extra £1,00, which I declined. We hope to come back to the same gathering next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am pleased to hear that your room was nice, spacious and clean. We are currently in the process of refurbishing many rooms so next time you may request one of these. Sorry to hear about the ice-cream and if you choose to return please contact our General Manager as I am sure he will give you a complimentary scoop.
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed just one night to attend a 50th. wedding anniversary party. Our room was very small, and the window was obstructed by a fire escape, but having said this, the room was perfectly adequate for just one night, with all usual facilities and a modern excellent bathroom. The welcome, and reception staff, were most helpful particularly with the very limited parking - my wife is very disabled, and we were permitted to park in a reserved director's space which was not being used. The meal (for 63 people) was excellent for "mass catering" with first rate service with very helpful waitresses - our friends who gave the party have used this hotel before due to the excellent catering.

Room Tip: Room 230 has restricted light and is rather small, but was quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am pleased to hear that your stay was good and our staff friendly and food excellent. We have maximised our car park and also reserve spaces for guests especially when disabled, so please call our General manager Daniel Marsh next time. He will ensure that parking is not an issue for you. We also have use of an overflow car park at certain times.
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you stay at this hotel over a weekend make sure that you ask for a room NOT on the first floor.
We were in room 1.25 and after returning from dinner, we were welcomed by the sound of the disco directly below the room and the bass was pumping quite well.
At midnight it was turned off promptly (as advertised) and we thought good. However, then the furniture removal service moved in and at 0130 I gave up and had to ring the reception.
The next day I asked if there would be another disco and I was told, no, there will be a live band!
I then asked the receptionist if anything could be done and although friendly, she did not seem to take any action. I then phoned the duty management who was very helpful and we were allocated another room. Thank you.
I notice that in your,compendium, you advise guests that they can get ear plugs from the reception! You are advertising yourself as a Hotel and SPA, consequently. In my experience Hotel Spas are places where you should have a quiet stay; or am I mistaken?
Despite the above, I was not surprised with the hotel as it has a difficult task, you must cater for the weekend tourists who just want to sleep somewhere and don't care about the 80s décor in the rooms and those who want to use your function rooms for parties (no doubt a good earner).
Having spent a lot of time living in Europe, the cost and quality of hotels in the UK, when compared to other European countries is quite stark (not in a positive way for the UK)!
Overall however, the staff were friendly, the food was good and had we been more lucky with the room then we would have given the hotel another 'point'.
In addition the pool, small sauna and jacuzzi (steam room was out of order again) were a welcome addition to our stay and this made our stay a lot more comfortable.
Thankyou

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a great night sleep due to the function downstairs, and I am glad that they turned off the music at midnight.
I will have a look into the furniture removal, but I expect with was the night porter clearing the room ready for the next function.
In future please contact our General Manager, Daniel Marsh on 01202 554415 and ask for a room away from the function rooms.
Many Thanks
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Visited the Queens Hotel as part of a weekend gathering of an international organisation. I cannot speak too highly of the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The facilities were just what we required.
The food was excellent and was served efficiently and courteously.
Bar prices were very good for the south of England and the bar staff efficient.
Entertainment provided by the hotel on each evening was of a very high standard.
A thoroughly enjoyable weekend.
Thank you Queens Hotel.

Room Tip: If you are not with the party enjoying itself avoid rooms immediately over the function rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your excellent Trip Advisor Review. I am glad to hear that your weekend went so well and our staff, food and facilities were just what you required.
Thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back.
Lancing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had the pleasure to spend another weekend at the Queens Hotel. It has been 12 months since I was last there and must say that the quality and service has not changed. The receptionists are so welcoming on arrival. The rest of the staff go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and nothing is too much trouble for them. I can also recommend a visit to the spa,gym and pool again it is very clean and a great way to work up an appetite.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
JamesGordon, Managing Director at The Queens Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that everything you experienced at The Queens Hotel and Spa was to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back at your next event.
Brighton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two nights, it was warm and comfortable and a good location.

My only complaint would be that there was some kind of Saga convention while we were there, which essentially meant that there were not any humans under the age of 80 in the hotel. Nothing wrong with that really, but it kind of made an atmosphere of a nursing home. I'd rather be around a mix of ages.

The hotels restaurant was of very good quality, they had a set price menu of around £24pp which was excellent. Even if I don't stay there again, I would certainly eat there again.

The room was nice. It was clean and comfortable, yet not remarkable.

The staff were friendly, one blond girl on the desk was especially helpful. Although in the breakfast room is was tricky to get the attention of the staff, but not really an issue as it is self-service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We do have a contract with SAGA and although it is normally over 50's, we had a slighter older group quite recently, probably the time that you stayed.
It is always nice to give these guests a holiday and be part of helping them enjoy themselves, but I take your point about the age difference. It doesn't happen often, but I am sure that if you choose to return the age range of the other guests will be more suitable for you.
Thank you once again and please contact our General Manager, Daniel Marsh on 01202 554415 to discuss a future stay.
James Gordon

Been to The Queens Hotel? Share your experiences!