“Hot, dark and claustrophobic!” 3 of 5 stars

The Cliffeside
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth BH1 3AF, England   |
Ranked #35 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Wiltshire
“Hot, dark and claustrophobic!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

On arrival we found that the carpark was already full. Fortunately there was a parking space on the road opposite the hotel with a very reasonable charge.
The two female receptionists on arrival and departure were very friendly and helpful, as were the staff in the restaurant at breakfast. The breakfast choice was ok, but on the second morning we had breakfast in the Cumberland, one of the sister hotels, and thought it definitely had the edge on choice and quality.
Our room was terrible! I'm sure it must have been the worst in the hotel, and certainly the worst we have ever stayed in. Although clean, it was VERY small; dark, as it was on the side of the building with the neighbouring hotel just feet away, and although the window was wide open the room was very hot and airless. We were in Bournemouth for a wedding, so in such a small, hot and claustrophobic environment it was a nightmare getting ready. Definitely not worth the money!
This hotel is in a very good location, with excellent views to the front and one side, so I would recommend anyone booking to make sure to choose their room carefully, and arrive early if you want to park in the hotel carpark.
Also, although we didn't need it personally as we were at a wedding in a neighbouring hotel, there didn't seem to be any entertainment.

By telling us what you think about your stay and how we can improve.
You are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future.
Opps Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Milton Keynes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

The reception staff are very helpful and friendly. The rooms are tiny. The bathroom door didn't shut at all. The bed was not in my opinion a full size double. It was also very soft. Every move is like laying in a water bed. Only meal we ate was the breakfast which nice with some choice. We booked the hotel on octopus travel which was over £100 less than the hotel would have charged. Would not have been happy if if had paid full price!!! Overall the hotel was clean including the pool area and the bedrooms are cleaned daily. Also you get the use of the two hotels next door which in my opinion are of equal quality.

Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I actually booked The Cliffeside for 2 nights through NHS Discounts at what I thought was a good rate of £60 per room per night.

One of the reasons for booking The Cliffeside, apart from its location, was the fact that it was part of a group and offers guests the use of the facilities of 3 hotels. This meant we would have the choice of indoor and outdoor pools depending on the weather, as well as table tennis and pool table facilities.

On arrival we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to The Cumberland Hotel 2 doors away so felt we got even more value for money. Breakfast was excellent and the outdoor pool lovely.

However, if paying the full rate for this hotel, I would not have been impressed by the bedroom which was very sparsely furnished.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Nearly London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

Having seen previous reviews of the hotel on this site, I almost cancelled my booking but am very glad I didn't. It's true - The Cliffside isn't the Ritz, but then you get what you pay for.

Our room had a seaview and was spotlessly clean although the decor was a little 'tired'. The staff were friendly and efficient. The location of the hotel is very good, overlooking the beach and only a short walk from the centre of town. The dinner menu is varied and good value and breakfast is more than adequate. The hotel has an outdoor pool but guests can use the facilities of the 2 sister hotels next door so an indoor pool, futher large 'Miami - style' outdoor pool and deck, evening entertainment, cocktail lounge and 2 further restaurants are available.

The only downside is that on-site parking can be a problem as the car park is small but there is plenty of 'pay and display' parking opposite the hotel. I would also recommending paying for an upgrade to a seaview room as I believe the rooms at the back of the hotel can be a little airless.

My daughter and I enjoyed our seaside break and would happily return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
South Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

As I am a wheelchair user, I booked a ground floor room which was spacious and comfortable and had a wet room en-suite.

On the first day of our stay, the car park was full and had to park in the sister hotel's car park next door. It would be helpful if disabled guests could reserve a parking space close to the front door which has good space for allowing transferring from car to wheelchair.

There is a sit on stair lift up to the entrance (approx 10 steps), which is operated by a key by the hotel staff. This might be difficult for disabled people who cannot transfer from a wheelchair.

The restaurant is on the lower ground level and the lift was too small to accommodate my wheelchair. This was not a problem for me as my wheelchair folds up and is light for carrying by my husband. It might be worth checking on the lift dimensions before booking.

The room was spacious and comfortable and had a wet room en-suite.

The food was wonderful with a varied breakfast menu and the staff were courteous.

The location of the hotel is excellent for exploring Bournemouth and the lift to the beach front walk is nearby and is free to use for wheelchair users and companion.

The room could benefit from air conditioning, as there was poor ventilation.

Despite the negatives, we would definitely return to this hotel as it was excellent value for money.

Eastbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

I stayed in the above hotel from Friday 7th August to Monday 10th. Very lucky with the hot weather. Tried to park about 2pm in afternoon, just found 1 space. There is plenty of on steet parking, but you'll have to pay. I didn't notice a ramp at the entrance, I have difficulty with stairs so it was hard for me to access (I didn't mention this on booking, so if there is an easier access I apologise). Very pleasant receptionist greeted me and quickly checked me in, took the very small lift to room 249, unfortunately it was a little cramped, but I was in a single room at a good rate, but when I heard the whining of the extractor fan, this was too much to bear. I rang reception and without hesitation she offerred me another room, which was a Double, much more room, there was a fan outside but it had been muffled, they should do the same to the other one. I came down to the bar and put my hand on a painted hand rail, there was no sign , but on the reception side there was. Very apologetic staff, no problem. Good bar and evening snacks on balcony over pool, very pleasant. Had 2 good nights on the town, came back at 3am and 4.45am, both times had sandwiches and checked my emails, great service. Breakfast was excellent, no need to eat during the day, service second to none. All in all a very enjoyable stay for a very reasonable price. I will probably stay again if I'm in the area, just so long as I get a parking space.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
DanielJordan, Manager at The Cliffeside, responded to this review, September 6, 2009
Thank You for taking the time to post a review.

I'm apologise your initial room booked wasn't satisfactory to your requirements and I am glad we could upgrade you without delay. This is not always the case when we are full but we will always take our guests needs and requirements into consideration and upgrade or move rooms where possible without hesitation.

With reference to the front entrance we do in fact have a stair lift on the left hand side of the steps as a facility for anyone with walking difficulties.
Again thank you for your positive comments Breakfast, Bar meals, reception and service.

Look forward to welcoming you back

Regards
Daniel Jordan
Manager
Devon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Do not stay at this hotel.We had ants on our dining table,were refused fresh fruit that was on the menu.Entertaiment and atmosphere were nil.Staff were rude and never aknowledged you.We must say that the staff on the reception desk were very helpful but we didn't need them through our stay much.We had temperatures around 23C. which was wonderful, but had to shower with the towel rail on full.Our curtains didn't fit over the whole of the window so we had to be careful dressing.We loved Bournemouth but have decided to stay somewhere else in future.

Opps Manager

Been to The Cliffeside? Share your experiences!