“Great Location, Small rooms and TV” 3 of 5 stars

The Cliffeside
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth BH1 3AF, England   |
Ranked #36 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Location, Small rooms and TV”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Stayed at this property for business. I was booked into a single room which had just a single bed and barely enough room to turn around. I was exhausted from an overseas trip and didn't care about the quality of the bed which was typically european hard. The restaurant was lovely and getting to chance to walk alongside the sea the next day was very refreshing. The staff was also very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The room we were allocated was more exhausted than "tired", disgusting bathroom, shabby bedding, dirty marks on the walls! We asked to be moved and were shown 3 other rooms of equally disgusting standard. Eventually the staff offered to move us to their sister hotel The Suncliffe situated next door and we began the whole process again, finally the third room was actually quite nice and we agreed to take this room only to be told that the windows leaked and as a storm was expected overnight they didn't advise us taking that room so we were forced to settle on our second choice which had a bathroom last seen circa 1970. We went downstairs to complete the paperwork only to find that a deranged guest was wandering around reception in her nightdress! after that we needed a drink and went to the bar only to find that a group of OAP's using the foulest language possible were also in the bar. The staff seemed reluctant or incapable of dealing with either of these situations in a suitable manner. We returned to our room only to find that the shower was more of a drizzle and could only produce lukewarm water after running it for 10 minutes.
I have to say that the receptionist dealing with our complaints was as helpful as she could be under the circumstances but if I could give this hotel a zero rating I would.

Room Tip: You wont get a good room at this hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We only stayed for one night on our trip around the south coast but my husband and I were most impressed by this hotel. We enjoyed the sea view, the room was clean and comfy. Being right by the beach was great and for walking into Bournemouth itself. Wi-fi is a must for my husband and he had consistent access to the internet. The breakfast was tasty..
Only issue was the carpet leading up to our floor was blue/green tartan which caused me issues with depth perception and I kept tripping when walking down the stairs.
All in all a good find and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the front for a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
guildford, surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Arrived on 26th July for two nights. First impression, hotel tired. Room overlooking the sea but with a seating area under the window. Was kept awake all night by rowdy 40 year olds. Screaming women and lots of swearing. As the hotel it only manned by one person during the night it was no good complaining during the night. We weren't the only people complaining in the morning. Day 2 was fine, rowdy visitors had gone home. Can recommend the breakfast.

Room Tip: Check who is staying at the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed here for only one night sadly. Although the decor is a little dated, the room was spotlessly clean. The beds were very comfortable. The views were fantastic. The staff couldn't have been better and the breakfast was fab with all the bits you'd expect. I really enjoyed my stay here and would love to go again, that's not I feeling I am used to having about hotels. Well done all and thank you for making our stay such a lovely one!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Maidenhead
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I have given this hotel a rating of 1/5 simply because there is no facility for a zero. We booked this hotel at short notice, and were pleased to find that not only was there availability, but also that we had a sea view - unknown to us this (the sea view room) was about to begin to be the start of our problems. The rooms are very dated in their décor, but there is no misrepresentation on the website, so no problem there. The big problem occurred on Saturday night when people were allowed to use the terrace (at the front of the hotel, and beneath all of the sea view rooms) into the early (5 O'clockish) hours of the morning, when loud drunken talk, and laughter (one of the protagonists laughed like a hyena) was permitted from closing time at the bar. We were kept awake almost all night, to the point that we were so tired that just ate breakfast and left for home, thus curtailing our weekend. The receptionist apologised for this problem and added that I was the seventh room occupant to have the same complaint this morning, stating that the night porter (if such a person exists) should have dealt with the problem - they didn't. The receptionist said that she would tell the manager, and I asked that he telephone me, but no phone call was forthcoming.
The restaurant had its own problems, whereby the staff fawned over the guests after they had left (by promptly clearing table that had just been vacated) but ignored them whilst they were there (it took 5 minutes to take our tea/coffee order on Saturday) but these were minor compared to the fact that we have had our weekend stay ruined by the goings on on Saturday night.
I have written numerous reviews on Tripadvisor over a number of years, almost all of which have been positive, but this is without a shadow of a doubt the very worst hotel stay of my life.

Room Tip: Avoid the sea view rooms as they are above the terrace, which is open all night
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I booked the Cliffeside hotel for myself and 9 other ladies on a hen do. First thing to note is that if you book 3 rooms or more for a single sex group you have to abide by their "group bond policy" and pay a £100 PER PERSON refundable security bond. They've obviously had problems with hen/stag do's in the past! They recommended I pay this in cash so I was a bit annoyed to find out when I got there that this could have just been pre-authorised on a card.

The location is fantastic; about a 15-20 minute walk along the beach to the pier and winter gardens. We were able to park 5 cars in the car park without a problem so that was a bonus.

The general appearance of the hotel is good, and the outdoor pool looked very appealing, although none of us used it. We were allocated a room on the 4th floor and similarly to another reviewer, it was probably the smallest room I've stayed in... anywhere... ever!! By contrast the bathroom was ridiculously large, although smart and clean. Can't help but think they'd have been better off just putting in showers and making the rooms bigger.

Also, we stayed in the middle of the recent heat wave and the temperature of the room was unbearable. The receptionist brought us the fan from his desk when we asked for one, but it was very small and just served to blow hot air around. We had to sleep with the curtains open in order to get any air through the window. Maybe we were just unlucky, some of the other girls had much better sized rooms but all were very hot.

On the plus side (there are a few things!) breakfast was great and good value at £10 per room if booked in advance, the staff were helpful and friendly, and the location is awesome.

In summary - I would love to recommend this hotel but having just stayed in a 4* hotel in Richmond with air con, a balcony, a larger room, and a fantastic leisure centre for the same price I just can't bring myself to say it's worth the price we paid.

Room Tip: Book a superior room - anythings got to be better than a standard double!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Cliffeside? Share your experiences!