“Beware of Saturday nights” 4 of 5 stars

The Cliffeside
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth BH1 3AF, England   |
Ranked #35 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
guildford, surrey
“Beware of Saturday nights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Arrived on 26th July for two nights. First impression, hotel tired. Room overlooking the sea but with a seating area under the window. Was kept awake all night by rowdy 40 year olds. Screaming women and lots of swearing. As the hotel it only manned by one person during the night it was no good complaining during the night. We weren't the only people complaining in the morning. Day 2 was fine, rowdy visitors had gone home. Can recommend the breakfast.

Room Tip: Check who is staying at the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed here for only one night sadly. Although the decor is a little dated, the room was spotlessly clean. The beds were very comfortable. The views were fantastic. The staff couldn't have been better and the breakfast was fab with all the bits you'd expect. I really enjoyed my stay here and would love to go again, that's not I feeling I am used to having about hotels. Well done all and thank you for making our stay such a lovely one!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Maidenhead
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I have given this hotel a rating of 1/5 simply because there is no facility for a zero. We booked this hotel at short notice, and were pleased to find that not only was there availability, but also that we had a sea view - unknown to us this (the sea view room) was about to begin to be the start of our problems. The rooms are very dated in their décor, but there is no misrepresentation on the website, so no problem there. The big problem occurred on Saturday night when people were allowed to use the terrace (at the front of the hotel, and beneath all of the sea view rooms) into the early (5 O'clockish) hours of the morning, when loud drunken talk, and laughter (one of the protagonists laughed like a hyena) was permitted from closing time at the bar. We were kept awake almost all night, to the point that we were so tired that just ate breakfast and left for home, thus curtailing our weekend. The receptionist apologised for this problem and added that I was the seventh room occupant to have the same complaint this morning, stating that the night porter (if such a person exists) should have dealt with the problem - they didn't. The receptionist said that she would tell the manager, and I asked that he telephone me, but no phone call was forthcoming.
The restaurant had its own problems, whereby the staff fawned over the guests after they had left (by promptly clearing table that had just been vacated) but ignored them whilst they were there (it took 5 minutes to take our tea/coffee order on Saturday) but these were minor compared to the fact that we have had our weekend stay ruined by the goings on on Saturday night.
I have written numerous reviews on Tripadvisor over a number of years, almost all of which have been positive, but this is without a shadow of a doubt the very worst hotel stay of my life.

Room Tip: Avoid the sea view rooms as they are above the terrace, which is open all night
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I booked the Cliffeside hotel for myself and 9 other ladies on a hen do. First thing to note is that if you book 3 rooms or more for a single sex group you have to abide by their "group bond policy" and pay a £100 PER PERSON refundable security bond. They've obviously had problems with hen/stag do's in the past! They recommended I pay this in cash so I was a bit annoyed to find out when I got there that this could have just been pre-authorised on a card.

The location is fantastic; about a 15-20 minute walk along the beach to the pier and winter gardens. We were able to park 5 cars in the car park without a problem so that was a bonus.

The general appearance of the hotel is good, and the outdoor pool looked very appealing, although none of us used it. We were allocated a room on the 4th floor and similarly to another reviewer, it was probably the smallest room I've stayed in... anywhere... ever!! By contrast the bathroom was ridiculously large, although smart and clean. Can't help but think they'd have been better off just putting in showers and making the rooms bigger.

Also, we stayed in the middle of the recent heat wave and the temperature of the room was unbearable. The receptionist brought us the fan from his desk when we asked for one, but it was very small and just served to blow hot air around. We had to sleep with the curtains open in order to get any air through the window. Maybe we were just unlucky, some of the other girls had much better sized rooms but all were very hot.

On the plus side (there are a few things!) breakfast was great and good value at £10 per room if booked in advance, the staff were helpful and friendly, and the location is awesome.

In summary - I would love to recommend this hotel but having just stayed in a 4* hotel in Richmond with air con, a balcony, a larger room, and a fantastic leisure centre for the same price I just can't bring myself to say it's worth the price we paid.

Room Tip: Book a superior room - anythings got to be better than a standard double!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Good location if you want a hotel with a sea view and close enough to the town, only 10min walk away. Between the other two hotels which are all part of the same group, you can have a choice of bars, pools etc.

Room Tip: Good views from most parts of the hotel public areas,
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We booked a last minute break at this hotel almost by accident. An online website stated that there were rooms in their sister hotel, The Cumberland, but upon calling the hotels booking line, there wasn't any room but we were offered a room in The Cliffeside and promised it was the same standard as they were both 3* hotels.
When we arrived, check-in was swift and we were given the key to a third floor room overlooking the sea. The lift in the hotel is a little strange. Very small for one thing and it doesn't actually go to the floor that you pressed. There is still 3-6 steps to climb after getting out.
The room did have the most fantastic view. The Isle of Wight to the left, Swanage ahead and Bournemouth beach to the right and below. That was the only good thing about the room.
This was the smallest room that I have stayed in ever! The bed, it only had a blanket and a sheet - No quilt - was stuffed between the slimmest two wardrobes I've ever seen. Plus there were two extremely small shelves (just about big enough for a telephone) attached to the wardrobes touching our pillows. My wife hit her head and arm on these a number of times.
However the mattress itself was as hard as a table!!
Other bad points were the WiFi was hit and miss and didn't work well on the third floor, not all the channels worked on the Freeview TV (however this may have been atmospheric) and the Tea and Coffee tasted awful. May have been down to the sun baking the UHT milk
The bathroom was good, with an old style shower working off the mixer taps in the bath.
The hotel bar and balcony were a plesent place to watch the world go by and the barman were chatty and looked after us. However the outside pool was only accessible by going through the restaurant and with no changing rooms I could envisage half dry, semi naked swimmers passing through a place that is used for dinner!
We were booked in for 3 nights, but didn't sleep a wink in our very small room, and asked if we could leave after one night. The reception staff, really looked after us and managed to find a room in the Cumberland for us, walked us over to view the room and then helped us with our luggage. The staff were stars
Looking through the reviews here of The Cliffeside, it seems we were unlucky and didn't get an updated room when we booked as there are rooms that have been updated. Perhaps if we did get one of these we would have been happy to stay as you can use all the facilities of the Cumberland if you are staying in either the Cliffeside or their other hotel located between the two.
Thanks to the staff, and hopefully the rooms will all be upgraded soon. But it does go to show the flaw in the UK stars system if this hotel and The Cumberland are on paper the same standard. In reality they are poles apart

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

First impressions unfortunately were not fantastic; the receptionist on shift when we checked in was about as un-welcoming as you can get. It might not have been picked up by some guests, but having worked as a receptionist myself for over 4 years and currently working as a Duty Manager in a hotel it was very noticeable to me. After all, the receptionist who checks you in gives you the first impression of your stay...
When I made the booking I did specify that the stay was for a birthday celebration. I checked through the paperwork given to me on check in and this had been highlighted - great! Not so great is that from start to finish there was absolutely no recognition of this whatsoever. Even a mention of this on check in would have been appreciated, we weren't exactly angling for a freebie.
First impressions of our room were positive, nice size and very clean and tidy. However after spending half an hour in there it became apparent that it was far hotter in the room than the nearly 30 degree heat outside. We thought it would probably have cooled down by the time we returned in the evening, unfortunately it hadn't. If anything it seemed to have become even hotter. I went down to reception and asked for a fan but they didn't have any left. I have to say that there was a different receptionist on shift by this point and she was absolutely fantastic.
Our first night resulted in absolutely no sleep, the heat in the room was quite honestly unbearable. Thankfully we managed to get a fan for the second night which made the room a bit more bearable, although the towel rail in the bathroom kept coming on and there wasn't a switch to turn it off?!

Overall it was average, I would say it was value for money if we had managed to sleep properly over the 2 nights. Sadly though the general service received from the start put a bit of a dampner on the stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 128 if you're travelling when we're having nice weather, heat trap is an under-st...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cliffeside? Share your experiences!