We booked a last minute break at this hotel almost by accident. An online website stated that there were rooms in their sister hotel, The Cumberland, but upon calling the hotels booking line, there wasn't any room but we were offered a room in The Cliffeside and promised it was the same standard as they were both 3* hotels.
When we arrived, check-in was swift and we were given the key to a third floor room overlooking the sea. The lift in the hotel is a little strange. Very small for one thing and it doesn't actually go to the floor that you pressed. There is still 3-6 steps to climb after getting out.
The room did have the most fantastic view. The Isle of Wight to the left, Swanage ahead and Bournemouth beach to the right and below. That was the only good thing about the room.
This was the smallest room that I have stayed in ever! The bed, it only had a blanket and a sheet - No quilt - was stuffed between the slimmest two wardrobes I've ever seen. Plus there were two extremely small shelves (just about big enough for a telephone) attached to the wardrobes touching our pillows. My wife hit her head and arm on these a number of times.
However the mattress itself was as hard as a table!!
Other bad points were the WiFi was hit and miss and didn't work well on the third floor, not all the channels worked on the Freeview TV (however this may have been atmospheric) and the Tea and Coffee tasted awful. May have been down to the sun baking the UHT milk
The bathroom was good, with an old style shower working off the mixer taps in the bath.
The hotel bar and balcony were a plesent place to watch the world go by and the barman were chatty and looked after us. However the outside pool was only accessible by going through the restaurant and with no changing rooms I could envisage half dry, semi naked swimmers passing through a place that is used for dinner!
We were booked in for 3 nights, but didn't sleep a wink in our very small room, and asked if we could leave after one night. The reception staff, really looked after us and managed to find a room in the Cumberland for us, walked us over to view the room and then helped us with our luggage. The staff were stars
Looking through the reviews here of The Cliffeside, it seems we were unlucky and didn't get an updated room when we booked as there are rooms that have been updated. Perhaps if we did get one of these we would have been happy to stay as you can use all the facilities of the Cumberland if you are staying in either the Cliffeside or their other hotel located between the two.
Thanks to the staff, and hopefully the rooms will all be upgraded soon. But it does go to show the flaw in the UK stars system if this hotel and The Cumberland are on paper the same standard. In reality they are poles apart
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fantastic Bar and Terrace overlooking Bournemouth's beautiful coastline. Superb Swimming Pool with sun loungers and modern outdoor seating. Brilliant new bar menu launched, serving a great selection of Fresh Salads, Light Meals and HOMEMADE BURGERS. An excellent location for a comfortable stress free break in Bournemouth. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, LateRooms, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Low Cost Holidays and Odigeo so you can book your The Cliffeside reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Cliffeside Hotel Bournemouth
- Cliffside Hotel Bournemouth