“Great Staff - Bad Room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 76 Hotels in Bournemouth
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Great Staff - Bad Room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We booked a last minute break at this hotel almost by accident. An online website stated that there were rooms in their sister hotel, The Cumberland, but upon calling the hotels booking line, there wasn't any room but we were offered a room in The Cliffeside and promised it was the same standard as they were both 3* hotels.
When we arrived, check-in was swift and we were given the key to a third floor room overlooking the sea. The lift in the hotel is a little strange. Very small for one thing and it doesn't actually go to the floor that you pressed. There is still 3-6 steps to climb after getting out.
The room did have the most fantastic view. The Isle of Wight to the left, Swanage ahead and Bournemouth beach to the right and below. That was the only good thing about the room.
This was the smallest room that I have stayed in ever! The bed, it only had a blanket and a sheet - No quilt - was stuffed between the slimmest two wardrobes I've ever seen. Plus there were two extremely small shelves (just about big enough for a telephone) attached to the wardrobes touching our pillows. My wife hit her head and arm on these a number of times.
However the mattress itself was as hard as a table!!
Other bad points were the WiFi was hit and miss and didn't work well on the third floor, not all the channels worked on the Freeview TV (however this may have been atmospheric) and the Tea and Coffee tasted awful. May have been down to the sun baking the UHT milk
The bathroom was good, with an old style shower working off the mixer taps in the bath.
The hotel bar and balcony were a plesent place to watch the world go by and the barman were chatty and looked after us. However the outside pool was only accessible by going through the restaurant and with no changing rooms I could envisage half dry, semi naked swimmers passing through a place that is used for dinner!
We were booked in for 3 nights, but didn't sleep a wink in our very small room, and asked if we could leave after one night. The reception staff, really looked after us and managed to find a room in the Cumberland for us, walked us over to view the room and then helped us with our luggage. The staff were stars
Looking through the reviews here of The Cliffeside, it seems we were unlucky and didn't get an updated room when we booked as there are rooms that have been updated. Perhaps if we did get one of these we would have been happy to stay as you can use all the facilities of the Cumberland if you are staying in either the Cliffeside or their other hotel located between the two.
Thanks to the staff, and hopefully the rooms will all be upgraded soon. But it does go to show the flaw in the UK stars system if this hotel and The Cumberland are on paper the same standard. In reality they are poles apart

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room
2 Thank AndyDaviesmd

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

First impressions unfortunately were not fantastic; the receptionist on shift when we checked in was about as un-welcoming as you can get. It might not have been picked up by some guests, but having worked as a receptionist myself for over 4 years and currently working as a Duty Manager in a hotel it was very noticeable to me. After all, the receptionist who checks you in gives you the first impression of your stay...
When I made the booking I did specify that the stay was for a birthday celebration. I checked through the paperwork given to me on check in and this had been highlighted - great! Not so great is that from start to finish there was absolutely no recognition of this whatsoever. Even a mention of this on check in would have been appreciated, we weren't exactly angling for a freebie.
First impressions of our room were positive, nice size and very clean and tidy. However after spending half an hour in there it became apparent that it was far hotter in the room than the nearly 30 degree heat outside. We thought it would probably have cooled down by the time we returned in the evening, unfortunately it hadn't. If anything it seemed to have become even hotter. I went down to reception and asked for a fan but they didn't have any left. I have to say that there was a different receptionist on shift by this point and she was absolutely fantastic.
Our first night resulted in absolutely no sleep, the heat in the room was quite honestly unbearable. Thankfully we managed to get a fan for the second night which made the room a bit more bearable, although the towel rail in the bathroom kept coming on and there wasn't a switch to turn it off?!

Overall it was average, I would say it was value for money if we had managed to sleep properly over the 2 nights. Sadly though the general service received from the start put a bit of a dampner on the stay.

Room Tip: Avoid room 128 if you're travelling when we're having nice weather, heat trap is an under-st...
1 Thank Cat C
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a lovely location for a hotel, overlooking the sea and within a short walk of the path down to the beach. It is around 15 mins' walk from the town centre, serviced by a bus route if necessary. I noticed that the hotel is especially popular with older guests, who appeared to form the majority of the clientele.
My room was undoubtedly a budget option, but nevertheless it was somewhat shabby with peeling wallpaper, outdated decor and a loose extension cable to power the TV. (I understand however that the entire place is gradually being updated room-by-room). Having said that, the bathroom was lovely - bright, modern and sizeable.
I don't mind a firm bed, but the one I slept in was brutally uncomfortable. It was like sleeping on a table covered in cardboard, with springs sticking out. The room was also unbearably hot. Obviously some heat is to be expected in mid-summer, but as a small room tucked into a corner on the top floor, facing the afternoon sun, it was ridiculous. My clock thermometer measured 33C when I returned to the room in the late afternoon. And it didn't cool down much to sleep in, making it desperately uncomfortable. I asked for a fan several times but they were all being used; I think perhaps in the height of summer the hotel should invest in a fan for each room.
But any misgivings with the building itself are forgiven due to the excellent staff on duty. They were all extremely professional, friendly, very helpful and welcoming.
Next time I would perhaps invest in a slightly better room, but I would definitely stay there again as a result of the location, staff and lovely bar area/terrace overlooking the sea.
One evening I went for dinner at The Cumberland flagship hotel next-door-but-one, and the food was exceptional, along with the stunning Art Deco presentation of the building.
Overall, with an outdoor swimming pool and free use of the facilities at the sister hotels next door, The Cliffeside is a good and well-priced option for a stay in Bournemouth.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first or second floor if possible, as the in-room wifi is accessible from there...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Arriver
cornwall
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have just stayed at the cliffside and I must say it was lovely, I had a lovely room with side sea view. It was fully booked but it didnt appear over busy at any time.breakfast was super very fresh and you just helped yourself, full english fruit etc. There was a 24 hr reception available which was great as we all got in well after midnight. It was nice to have an outside pool and we also used the sister hotels pool (the Cumberland) which was hotter. Parked at the back of hotel which was easy.drinks reasonable priced for a hotel. The hotel duty manager in the morning was smashing very happy man.bit grumpy the one in the afternoon. If I am ever in bournemouth again I would re-book with the oceana group. I am the mother of the bride so hopefully will not be returning for a hen party again.thank you cliffside. Avoid peppeno's Italian restaurant not good.

Room Tip: I was in room 233 which was really quiet on first nightbut bit noisy on 2nd night from people above...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Newry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Good value and will go again.
Food, service, staff, prices, view and everything else all excellent.
But double room was small.
Staff were polite and helpful.
Breakfast offered choices and was excellent.

Room Tip: Sevices are excellent but check out the size of your room to be.
    • 5 of 5 stars
Tcornish, General Manager at The Cliffeside, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
GeradM479

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Cliffeside Hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us and found many aspects of the stay pleasing.

Our rooms are all different in size, shape and style so I apologise your room was on the smaller side. But I am happy to see this did not spoil your stay. We are in the process of upgrading the rooms at the Cliffeside and are making great progress.

I hope to see you back again soon
Lichfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Great location by the beach, but a little tired inside. The hotel seems as if it's due a refurbishment, although it's nothing terrible. That said, my bed was that soft it felt like I was sleeping in quicksand! Breakfast was included and was great - a full English breakfast is available, along cereal, toast, fruit, yoghurt, etc. The beach is around 10 minutes walk, and the town centre is about 20 minutes walk or so.

Don't be surprised to find a mix of people here, from stag and hen groups to families. The hotel can seem a little noisy at times.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
ManagerGleneagles, Manager at The Cliffeside, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thanks for your review . I am a little confused as to what you think need to be done !!. But on the whole you seem to have enjoyed your stay. Had you seen reception something may have been done about your bed , we do try to rectify issues guests have .
Hope to see you in the future.
Trevor Cornish
Benidorm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Well,just a short story,stayed @Cliffeside Bournemouth in 2011,wonderful,staff very helpful,got married 2014,went back to Cliffeside,nothing was too much to ask,every staff member,even the cleaners were polite,& even if there was a problem,they would try thier best to sort it out straight away.
Their is a restaurant on the lower ground overlooking the pool,the breakfast & evening meals are first class,the rooms are in the process of being updated,but they are very comfortable,they all have en-suite toilet/bathrooms,the sea veiw is breathtaking,even though we come from living on a coast,disabled access is reasonable,with assisted stair lift into the hotel @ a small lift to the 4 floors,or their is a ground floor for wheelchairs etc,but no sea veiw,as all lounge & reception facilities take up the ground floor.
If you stay@ the Cliffeside,you will have use of the sister hotels,the Suncliff, & Cumberland,with entertainment on almost every night except Sunday night.
The pier is approximatley 20 mins walk,with plenty of things to see & do.including the towns shopping centre,next to a picturesque park with a hot air ballon in the centre of some beautiful gardens,including a 18 hole crazy golf course.
The veiw is beautiful from the sea veiw rooms,on a sunny day,you can see the colour of the sea change colour.
You will find as we did,other people staying at the hotels,very friendly,if you wish to interact,or a polite nod if you dont wish to be disturbed.
Price,well depends what you want,we stayed a week,and was very pleased with the price for a standard room with sea veiw.
The hotel aslo caters well for families,and groups,or just loving couples like us.
We would reccommend this hotel to all,& will use this hotel everytime we go down south,as it is central to all the intresting places we love to visit,like Monkey World,Paultins Park,Poole,& Brownsea Island,Isle of Purbeck/Swanage/Corfe Castle.
Five stars to this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 240 has a sea veiw on the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Tcornish, General Manager at The Cliffeside, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
FinestratKing

What a lovely glowing review, thank you so much for your support and taking the time to leave your comments.

We always work hard to ensure that every guest is looked after and enjoy their stay with us at the Cliffeside. I hope you will return to us in the near future where I am sure you will be looked after once again.

Good service and food is one our main focuses and you are correct in saying we are upgrading our rooms this year which is make a massive difference.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the TA community.

Best wishes