“Once is enough” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Once is enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We arrived here via a coach holiday and waited for someone to meet and greet us. Finally the driver went it to see what was happening. He came back and said the only person there was on reception and for us to go pick up our keys. There was a room with tea and coffee if you wanted a drink. We thought this is a good start and went to our room. This was room 31 and had tons of room including a 6 foot bed.Get this room if you go because it was the best part of the holiday. One or two asked for a change as their rooms were too small. Still nobody was in charge and the receptionist made the changes.The food was pretty good but the service was abysmal. The staff were all over the place and sometimes forgot you had ordered. It took an hour and a half at least to get served. The hotel was quite nice with swimming pools and gardens but is a long long way into Bournemouth. We took taxis there and back which cost £5.20. If you wait long enough you can get a bus using your bus pass.All in all we had a good time but even when we left nobody came out to say farewell which is usual on a coach trip so we still did not see anybody who was in charge during the whole five days..We wont be going back again .

Room Tip: If you do go try to get room 31.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We booked a family room for one night and I am so glad it was only for one night! The room we were given was in a very poor state - it was located in the 'cottage' annex. There was rubbish and muck behind the radiator, very damp smell, leaks in the bathroom, very poor state of decoration, rotten windows - generally very poor state and certainly not 3* level. Whilst it was a late deal and not that expensive it was certainly not worth the price we paid. We decided not to eat in the hotel at all. On the up side there was a decent small pool and Jacuzzi. The hotel is very popular with the older generation which is fine but for a young family probably not the most ideal hotel. We won't be going back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This break was only our second time we had managed to get away in the 10 years since our youngest son was born.....
We stated here some 10 years ago...still as tired now as then... Old fashioned...
On arrival we where given a old tired room even though we where told we would get one of their re furnished rooms... Moved to room 32 just a little better looking over the green out door swimming pool...
Room very clean, nice fresh bed linen and towels... Bed seen better days and room defiantly needs a good paint... House keeping forgot our room so I had to make bed and hubby rang down for fresh towels.... Breakfast in the room on first day was nice second day we where forgotten had to make three calls as they had forgotten cups for our drinks, milk, butter for toast (cold on arrival)... So very poor service. We will not be staying again... Such a terrible shame as this place could be made so nice with effort.... Weather was great and enjoyed a day on the beach as using the outdoor pool was a NO NO.

Stayed July 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

At the end of May we visited the Hinton Firs Hotel for a short stay. We have been visiting this hotel for around 20 years. Along with other complaints we had a pair of Chanel Sunglasses stolen from our room. I reported this to the Manager and he promised to get back to me. After contacting him 3 times since, he still has not replied. I have been a customer for 20 years and feel that this is appauling treatment. I will report again on any response review.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I feel there is a lot avaliable in hotel which if used could make it better so much ground floor space. I was there on quieter night so maybe unlucky. Anyways there were a few things which could have been better m I went out and returned at 10 had to wait a while before being let in even tho I could see somone sat in reception. I then asked if could get a drink from bar. Was told no its closed or wait til the night porter starts who was apparently getting changed. In morning I came for breakfast. Was told I wasn't on the list by waiter. I did book late so maybe reception forgot to add me mentioned this but ot was quiet an issue for him. Throughout my breakfast all I could hear was him complaining about me being there and not knowing about it and stresding he was busy and complaining he's alone to I can only guess being the owners sat at breakfast. Side note there was only 8 in the restaurant at the time.

So much needs improving and staff needed better attitudes

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Saltash, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for four nights June 19th to June 23rd 2014. Let me say now that I am quite surprised to read many of the bad reports that have been put on this site concerning Hinton Firs Hotel. Judging by the very bad grammar and spelling by these people I think their comments should not be taken seriously!!

Our room number 47 was spacious and clean as was the bathroom with ample supply of clean towels hand and bath lotion. The milk - coffee and teabags were replenished daily without having to ask for them. We were on a bed and breakfast basis and I have to say that full English breakfast was delicious and plentiful. As for the waiting staff - during our stay we were looked after by Josh and Issac who were smartly dressed and very very polite.As for the reception staff - always friendly and helpful in particular Lauren.

Food in the evening is available from The Manhattan Bar from 5pm to 7.45 which is very nice and good value for money!

We first stayed at this hotel in 2002 and yes it has matured and aged over the years - but haven't we all? Yes the outside swimming pool did look a bit murky but was not life threating.

Can I point out to any future visitors when you arrive in reception you will more than likely see and elderly gentleman sat on the settee reading his newspaper - you will also see him arrive every morning just before 8am and he will be sat in the far left hand corner of the dining room having breakfast. If the food is good enough for him it should be good enough for you - as he is the owner!! If you have a complaint speak to some one about it and not write an anonymous report - be fair - but be truthful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is my second review of a hotel that I have ever posted on Tripadvisor. The first thing that you will notice when you arrive at Hinton Firs is the outside pool. On its website the picture of the pool is beautiful. Clean, blue and surrounded by well manicured plants and shrubs. In reality, it is dark green, fifthly stagnant water surrounded by dead plants and unkempt garden foliage. In my estimation it would be dangerous to attempt a swim, it was that bad.Used baby nappies were in the full bins that lined the pool that were not emptied until the last day of our break. Which, incidentally, I think were emptied because some of the staff noticed I was taking photographs of the pool and bins. Fag ends were everywhere outside. The surrounding paving slabs were filthy black. And would have taken only a few hours to pressure wash clean. The interior of the hotel has been described as tired. It is not tired it is in a coma. immediately what strikes you is the sadness of it all. Your heart sinks. The room was basic. Curtains hanging off their rings, toilet seat broken, dead bulbs in lamps, no milk for tea, no bath towels only hand towels, cheap nasty shower curtain, the bathroom blind would not go all the way down and left a twelve inch gap at the bottom of the window so that all of Bournemouth could view your bits. Overall, basic, cheap and unpleasant.
Food: Breakfast Okay. Dinner dreadful.
What can I say? I asked for a salad and I got one. A plate of leaves and tomatoes that my eleven year old could have tossed together. Again basic and poor. My partners meal was no better. The turkey was obviously cooked from frozen and the roast potatoes were no-frills cash and carry frozen ones. Yet their brochure boasts that all the food is locally sourced. And it probably is - from a local Bookers.
The tiny bar is depressing. Go to the Cumberland hotel which is a five minute walk along the front. It has a fantastic bar.

There is a heck of a lot more I could describe which is just basically wrong with this hotel. Needless to say, I will not be returning and certainly not with children.

Room Tip: Avoid! Book into the Cumberland Hotel instead!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hinton Firs Hotel? Share your experiences!