“Two night stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth

Save Saved
You added Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth to your Saves list
Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Durley Chine Rd, Bournemouth BH2 5JS, England (Formerly Hallmark Hotel & Spay Durley Hall Hotel & Spa)   |
Ranked #49 of 70 hotels in Bournemouth
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Two night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

First impressions when we entered the hotel were good, checking in easy and a friendly receptionist.We were on the first floor which we used the stairs,very worn carpet, wood chip walls dark and very out of date.Room pleasent enough but dated,chips out of the enamal bath,2 crackes in the hand basin and a glue all around the tape unsightly, no toilet brush,The spa area was fine ,changing room a little small.We included an evening meal in booking , restaurant pleaent and clean, not a great choice on thhe menu, but we were very happy to order the rib eye steak which was lovely, we paid for our drinks as we had them only to find them on our bill again when we booked out ,glad we checked bill. Our second night of dinning we were given the same menu as the previous night but they had ran out of steak which was the best thing in the menu,also no vanila icecream which was also on the menu, would not choose again ,need to change the star rating as it didnt live up to it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

875 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

With my husband we had a spa day booked via Last Minute in the Hallmark Hotel, Bournemouth. There is a Jacuzzi, a small pool which also has a Jacuzzi area, but not as warm as the Jacuzzi, also a steam room, sauna, aromatherapy room (warm room with nice smell and heated seats) and a relaxing room. There is a swimming pool as well but we did not try that, it was in a separate area. The staff was very kind and helpful. We had a lovely day, really enjoyed ourselves. Although there are some minor issues which might be important to some. The changing room is very small, comfortable for 2 people only, the seats in the relaxing area were not as clean as I expected, although a towel was enough to cover. By the way the towels were pre-warmed. The whole place a bit out of date and some parts should be renovated (like table legs are a bit rusty), but still has a warm feeling. The booking included lunch which we could choose al la carte, it was hot food (meat balls with pasta and stake in a bun) but more like a snack so we ordered some nachos.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Exceptional top to toe treatment by Lisa in the Hallmark spa she transfered me into feeling nearly 100 to being a teenager again.

I can not highly recommend Lisa enough excellent at her job hard working personable and assidious with such attention to detail that I feel a million dollars.

Ever thanks Lisa keep up the outstanding work.:0)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

A friend and I have just returned from a 4 day new year break that can only be described as appalling in parts, considering the star rating of this hotel. The bar and reception areas give a good impression, but sadly it is all downhill from there. As we are not a 'couple' we specified a twin room on booking, but were given a very small double. When we complained we were told no alternatives were available. Thankfully the temperature didn't drop below freezing, as the heating didn't work during the entire 4 day stay. Still, it was chilly, and when we asked for it to be fixed we were given an electric heater which, given the hobbit-like proportions of the room, was not all that satisfactory. The bathroom door didn't close properly, which was slightly problematic. Worse, though, was the complete lack of hot water at any time of day, which meant a bath was out of the question, and a simple wash became an unpleasant experience. The pipes to the non-functioning heated towel rail leaked all over the floor, as did one of the sink taps.The room itself was dated and dull, and smelled slightly of damp, although it was fairly clean. We had booked for the new year's Eve 'event', and this is where things really started to go downhill. At around 6pm the electricity supply to all the rooms on our floor failed (although the hall lights remained on), leaving the guests half showered/dressed/made up in pitch darkness. Even though the problem was not fixed more than an hour later, the hotel staff did nothing to try to help, or even inform the guests of what the problem was. The very least they could have done was supply some candles! As it was, we were left to get ourselves ready in the only light available - the corridors!
On to the event itself - no one came to take our drinks order, so I made my way to the bar and ordered a bottle of wine. To save another wait (service was generally very slow) I suggested they open it and I take it back to the table. An embarrassed bar waiter told me they couldn't do that, as they had no corkscrew - behind a bar? Hmmm. The 'festive' meal was another shock. There was no choice at all on the menu, even for the starter. The main course was advertised as 'chicken wellington'. I don't eat chicken, but decided not to make a fuss - i wish i had though, as what came to the table was hardly recognisable as chicken, and certainly wasn't a wellington. There were no green vegetables, and the whole meal was more reminiscent of a standard lunch in a nursing home than a gourmet new year's eve meal. The same was true of the entertainment. Although the band was competent, the music was dreadfully out of date and without atmosphere. Again, more reminiscent of a 1960s pensioners' day out. By midnight the room was more than half empty. Finally, on Wednesday morning a waitress informed us we would have to pay for breakfast (which we had booked and paid for in advance). When we informed her of this, she behaved as though she didn't believe us, which isn't the best start to a day.
The only saving grace of this hotel was the bar waiting staff, all of whom were friendly, helpful and good humoured (almost resigned to the complaints, I felt). However, although the reception staff seemed sympathetic to the plight of their guests, this was not translated into either action or apology. Wherever I celebrate new year in 2013/14, one thing is for sure, it won't be at the Hallmark in Bournemouth.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just returned from a 3 night dinner-bed&breakfast stay at the Hallmark in Bournemouth. Although it was a quite nice hotel in good shape it was badly managed and the most of the staff seemed as they couldn't care less. The friendly french barkeeper even told me some inside stories that I cant't repeat without getting him fired.
When we arrived there was no lager on draft, as nobody was able to change the kegs (said the waitress). We checked into our room (17), which was the most dusty I've ever been into. It was a disgrace. That they seem to have a problem with their laundry, as towels and linnen was full of hair, nobody seemed to have realized. When we spoke to reception and mentioned that the room also seemed a bit small (in the booking confirmation "spacious rooms" were mentioned and no chance to upgrade throughout the booking process), we were told that we have a standart double room. Ok, but where was the chance to get a bigger one ??
As we had dinner booked, we asked at check in for times over the next days. The receptionist wasn't aware, so he advised to ask the next days again, but for tonight we could eat from the menu in the restaurant. When we came in for dinner, we were given a menu with 3 (!) main courses instead of the regular menu. When I spoke to the duty manager I could order my desired meals. Hmm...
When we changed rooms the next morning because of dust, hairs and heat the next day, we were given a room same size but with a hugh bath room. The dust problem was the same, but we couldn't be bothered to ask again, as the staff seemed to hate us anyway, as we aksed them a lot of questions. Why wouldn't you send housekeeping in the room, before giving it to guests, to avoid this situation ? Isn't that common sense ? Again we had a problem with hairs on towels, but this time also on the floor.
At breakfast there was no fruit yoghurt (they run out of it) and when I asked for some items of the cold cut meats, I was also told that it is not available. However the Duty Manager sorted it for me and managed to get some, although he mentioned that this usually not belongs to their breakfast. My question is: Why does it say so on their breakfast menu ?
The rooms service lady, who got us the breakfast came with three trays and when she asked where she should put it (as the room was so small), she believed WE should know, as WE had ordered so much. Unfortunately I can't recall her name.
To wrap it all up, I was sick from the second night onwards with what seemed to be food poisoning. It's not on me to proof and to create rumours, but I had only eaten in the hotel. So I spend New Years eve ill in my bed.
I just want to point out that Duty Manager Kevin was the star. He really tried to look after us and has gone out of his way, to make things right, but he couldn't be there all the time. Also waitress Chloe seemed to be the only one who enjoyed working in hospitality in this ensamble of tristess. What a shame ! Guess if we will return.

Room Tip: Stay at home !
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went with friends for New Year, Staff VERY friendly, rooms clean, food great, within walking distance of town centre, if you go set your Sat Nav for Marlborough Road. Drinks prices were the same as in pubs and food in the bar very good

Room Tip: Dont have a room over dance floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have just spent 4 nights over xmas and had a very nice time, the staff were friendly, the pool and spar were excellent and the food was good. Shame about the weather. I was a little surprised to find dogs were allowed to stay, but we had no noise from them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth? Share your experiences!