“Decent hotel and good added value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth

Save Saved
You added Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth to your Saves list
Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Durley Chine Rd, Bournemouth BH2 5JS, England (Formerly Hallmark Hotel & Spay Durley Hall Hotel & Spa)   |
Ranked #49 of 70 hotels in Bournemouth
uk
“Decent hotel and good added value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was a bit reluctant booking a hotel for over £100 in Bournemouth because there are so many to choose from you don't really want to pay London prices. However, when you look at what we got for the price it was actually very good.

We had free access to the spa which we used on the Saturday afternoon for a good few hours. It's only quite small and there were quite a few people in there, but it didn't stop us enjoying relaxing for a few hours in the pool and various rooms. The spa staff were very friendly and helpful. There is also a bigger swimming pool and gym which we didn't use on this occasion.

The room was very clean, reasonably modern and had a decent bathroom. There was free wifi in the room which was very fast (better than most hotels I've stayed in!) and all the little extras like biscuits and toiletries provided. We were on the first floor and didn't hear a sound from other residents.

There was a little bit of a queue when checking out on the Sunday, but we were seen quickly and efficiently. They had a free phone in reception to book a taxi which came within a couple of minutes.

Overall I'd say if you have chance to use the facilities this is really good value for money, if you just want somewhere to land at the end of a night out you can probably find a decent 3* a bit cheaper nearby.

Location wise I can't really comment because we were visiting friends so didn't need to go into Bournemouth itself, however we walked home along a main road that led to this hotel quite late at night and felt safe. I think it's quite near the beach and not too far from the town too.

873 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Nice hotel, good facilities, good food, but the family room we had reserved had a window blind missing (just the roller fitting remaining) and a sizeable gap around it so - for our November stay - we ended up with a chilly room and woke at dawn as the room filled with daylight.

When we raised these points, in a polite manner, to what appeared to be the lead on-duty reception staff member, there was not a hint of apology.

Also, while the room had a decent amount of space, it was reached via a small and winding staircase which we'd have had safety concerns about had we younger children with us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My fiancee and I spent two nights at this property. Located on Bournemouth's West Cliff, the hotel is on a pretty busy main road. We were grateful that our room was located at the back of the hotel (even though this meant no view whatsoever as we looked onto brick walls and fire escapes!). The "5 minute stroll" from beaches and shops is stretching it. You have to walk down a steep hill to get to the town/beaches. It's 5 minutes in a car!

Our room choice (room 60) was described as "luxury" in our booking. It wasn't a luxurious room. It was pretty small, but had a comfortable bed and was clean. The bathroom was a decent size but had a terrible drain smell. Nevertheless, the bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean.

We had a dinner, bed and breakfast package. The restaurant was really nice. Casual and comfortable. There is a good variety to choose from at breakfast, although the first morning we never got our pot of tea we ordered. There just weren't enough staff to cater for all the guests. Dinner was fine. We both ordered a medium steak. It was more rare than medium. But presented nicely with chunky chips and salad garnish and mushrooms. The cheeseboard was a little lack-lustre - red leicester, cheddar and stilton. The other gripe was that the bar had run out of diet-coke and nobody seemed to have the code for the cellar in order to get some more. Pretty poor really.

The pool and spa facilities are nice. There are two pools, both of which can be used by the public. There were swimming lessons going on when we arrived. The spa pool was also very busy.

To sum up, it's a nice hotel but I've stayed in better value in Bournemouth.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't look out to the main road.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews we were quite dubious, however upon arrival we were upgraded to one of the newly refurbished exec rooms which was huge. Rose petals on the bed and a plate of chocolate dessert for our wedding anniversary. Must admit it was a little weird walking through the bar to get to the room and also walking through the spa to get to the changing room. More thought should have gone into the spacial awareness of the layout. Tatty on the outside, nicely decorated in most areas downstairs. The changing rooms in the spa were tiny. Spa was not amazing but more than adequate.
Breakfast was satisfactory, staff friendly. The evening menu looked good (although we didn't try it)
The pictures on the website don't really do the hotel any justice.
Can't comment on any of the 'old' rooms but perhaps if you book here make sure you request one of the 'new' rooms.
Overall we were happy with the service received.

• Stayed November 2012
west kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just returned from the Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth. Booked via Classic Britain on a 3 night DBB deal. Must say the staff were very welcoming at reception and check in went with no hiccups. Parking was not a problem. The hotel was defo in need of a lick of paint. We had a room up in the Gods (4th Floor) which was a blessing as it was relatively quiet and peaceful. The lift only goes up to the 3rd floor so you have to carry your luggage up a little winding staircase. The room was small, with only a double bed (a king size would have been more comfortable) and the bed creaked a lot however we had some laughs about getting in and out of it. The room was very clean however I agree the fabric of the rooms i.e.: bathroom tiles and window sills needed a lot of attention. There was plenty of tea and coffee refreshments and these were fully replenished every day. It was my birthday so the hotel had made a lovely gesture and a birthday card was waiting in my room (with Balloons). I thought this was a real nice touch.

The staff at the restaurant were pleasant enough and attentive. The evening meal food selection was good however be aware that if you are having a DBB deal (or so we were told) there is extra charge for steak and some fish (those with an asterisk). Also be aware (again so we were told) it seems you also had to pay separately for your fresh veg as these came as a side order which surprised us a bit. We had soup on a couple of nights which were a bit bland and I would really like to teach the chef how to make a decent Leek and Potato Soup!!! I think the cheapest bottle of wine was about £17+ :o( Breakfast selection was good with your usual standard buffet selection along with kippers and haddock if you wanted it. The food was always piping hot.

I love a spa and go regularly, so have some experience of good and bad spa's. The spa was ok. The facilities were your standard, jacuzzi (which is a reasonable size), whirlpool (cold) small relax pool, sauna, steam room. (NB: The main swimming pool is separate) It also has an aromatherapy room and relaxation room. This was disappointing as both the aromatherapy room and relaxation room were cold, and the relaxation room defo needed the finishing touches to make it a lot more comfortable. The women's and mens changing rooms are awful. They are so small. The lighting is totally inadequate (some of the bulbs were out which made it worse). Surely health and safety requirements are that these are checked and regularly replaced throughout the day??? There are 2 tiny changing rooms, a small bench, one loo and one shower. One of the locks was broken on the changing room door and to be honest I think this reflects poorly on hotels and gives away their customer standards if a simple job such as a lock cannot be fixed immediately. The holes were already drilled there it just needed a keep!!! A 10 min job. It did appear that the changing rooms/shower were not swept and cleaned that well throughout the day too. Lets just say I chose to shower in my room. The changing rooms are so cramped and hot that you end up not being able to dry yourself off properly.

I also booked a massage which again was ok. On arrival I was asked to complete your usual standard questionnaire and given a cup of water. The massage rooms are very small and they do not use heated beds and the room felt a little cold. The young girl was very pleasant however I was not asked what type of massage I was having, also any areas that required more massage attention, or asked to take off my jewellery. The sequence for a massage was not what I would generally have had but overall it was a good experience. Here is the downer.....although it was my mistake, I thought I had booked a full body massage and mini "express" facial. (My interpretation of what they call a facial massage). However, I should have checked the details. I was told that the facial massage was EXTRA to the full body massage. This seemed very bizarre as your head is attached to your body so (like every other massage I have had) I thought the face was part of the full body massage. Still cannot fathom that one out - they don't have a facial massage separately advertised but still charge you an additional £4 on top a full body massage. :o/

Finally, I think this is probably defined as a 4 star because of the spa facilities. However I think it is more a 3 star. In particular the staff made the place and made up for the other minor disappointments. They worked extremely hard and clearly worked long hours. I find it sad when hotels could do such small things, like properly investing in their staff, customer service training etc. and undertaking minor repairs that do not cost the earth, to improve their facilities and provide a better customer experience. Overall I would stay at this hotel again (and would recommend it) as its a good base for trips out etc.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Purchased a groupon voucher with tapas and wine and use of spa facilities. On arrival tapas was nearly finished and i have to say it was one of the most horrible tapas i have ever tasted. No wine in room, had to remind reception twice before they delivered it to our room. Spotted few spiders in the room and dining area. Tiny bathroom area. Hole in curtains. Overall not satisfied.

• Stayed November 2012
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

In a way this is an example of you get what you pay for. Booking in was ok but when we got to the room the complementary bottle of white wine was not in anything vaguely resembling a cooler and there was only 1 glass! The Bathroom needed a make over and getting in and out of our room was an exercise in patients and espionage!

The free tapas was not topped up at all and based on this we decided to eat out, which was the highlight of our stay.

The gym facilities were good but the Spa was uncomfortable, with a single shower in the changing rooms which was obviously a token gesture as i might as well of washed under a dripping pipe!

Our treatment was cancelled due to a member of the team being ill, which is uncontrollable, but if more information had been taken during the booking a very awkward and upsetting conversation at the hotel reception could have been avoided.

Breakfast was nice but that is not a good reason to go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
helly200, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for placing your comments, I am sorry you were disappointed with certain aspects, with regard to the maintenance comments we are working to resolve these. It was unfortunate that one of our team of therapists was taken ill. The team tried their best to change timings around to fit guests in but there is only so much they can do however I am sorry your were disappointed.

Been to Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth? Share your experiences!