“feeling lucky to be having our wedding reception here” 5 of 5 stars

Menzies Carlton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Overcliff, Bournemouth BH1 3DN, England   |
Ranked #38 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Winchester, United Kingdom
“feeling lucky to be having our wedding reception here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Me and my partner are planning to get married next year, During the wedding fair in Menzies sister hotel I asked to see the Carlton. The Carlton wasnt set up for the wedding fair but Emily was more than helpful and let us see the place anyway. Me and my partner loved it instantly, even though in some reviews people say its dated, Were in our 20s but we LOVED the look of the place and actually booked our wedding reception there.
This weekend my partner and I had the chance to stay at the Carlton and I have to say we werent diserpointed. Infact we feel extremely lucky to be having our special day there. EVERY member of staff couldnt have helped more! From the moment we walked in the door we were greated by one of the nicest receptionists Ive ever met. Even when I forgot my hair conditioner someone was up 'to our GORGEOUS sea view room' within minutes with MORE than enough conditioner! The dinner was lovely and the atmosphere was perfect.
Ive stayed in a few hotels and saw many when planning our wedding but Ive never had the experience and treatment I recieved when staying at the Carlton.

Thankyou so much for such a wonderful experience!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
woodl2001, Manager at Menzies Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Thank you for your review, we all love doing weddings at the Carlton and there is nothing better than seeing a couple come in for the first visit, using Emily and Angela to plan their unique day and welcoming the guests into the hotel on the day of the wedding and ensuring they have the day they want.

We look forward to hosting your wedding and I will try my best to ensure a fine sunny day for it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

The location at the seaside is great and i could easily walk from the station. My room on the third floor was small but cosy, the bed very good quality and the bathroom big and impeccable. Nice amenities too. The seaview was splendid, even though the weather was foggy. I appreciated the friendly staff and absolutely loved the atmosphere, which set my imagination at work. You can feel the hotel has a history, many elements refer to a past of real 'grandeur', which gives the hotel an air of luxury and style. This is defintely my kind of place to stay, so much better than standard modern places which all look and feel the same...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
woodl2001, Manager at Menzies Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Thank you very much for your review it is always good to read that the Staff were welcoming and added to the relaxed yet professional atmosphere that you have referred to.

The weather in January and February in Bournemouth has certainly been a mixed but I really do not think there is a better place in the UK to enjoy a couple of days away from home.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and we will endevour to arrange some less foggy weather.
Poole, Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I attended this hotel as part of my companies Christmas party (yes, in January!). The food was excellent and was even served hot which is unusual for a party of such large numbers. The food was exactly as the menu stated. The staff in the function room were attentive, but not "in your face". The manager in charge on the night made sure that everyones glaases were kept topped up and dealt with all our party with good humour.

The room we stayed in, although dated, was clean and comfortable. It had all you would expect and need in a four star hotel - quality toiletries, fluffy towels, comfortable bed and attentive service.

The leisure centre was a great place to relax on the Saturday morning - the jacuzzi is a great hang over cure!

Overall the hotel was excellent and I would love to return with my husband again for a romantic break.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
woodl2001, Manager at Menzies Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Thank you for your review, it is always a pleasure to read that Christmas Parties have been successful. We have been very popular for parties in January this year with many clients booking again for 2012. I understand your comments regarding the bedrooms and we are working very hard to ensure that they are always presented in the best way possible. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlton in 2011.
Broadbridge Heath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Firstly I want to mention two superb members of their team -
Natasha - Reception (think she is a management trainee) - Checked myself and my two colleagues in - superb service - lots of advice and even a phone call after being in our room for 10mins to check everything was ok. We were acknowledged by Natasha many time during our 3 night stay and she really made us feel welcome and at home.
Charlie - Bar - A real live wire this one - cheeky yet knows how to handle different customers - just learning how to make cocktails so make sure you ask her for the cocktail menu and test her out - our cocktails after a long hard conference were perfect and just what was required.

The hotel - a nice 11 min walk from the BIC - perfect for us - with plenty of space for us to park our van for the time we were not loading or unloading.

Rooms - very large and perfectly comfortable - would love to see them update the rooms - bathrooms looking very tired and the addition of an LCD instead of the very old large tv would also help

Breakfast - superb quality every morning although the coffee could do with some work.

Would I stay here again if I was attending a conference at the BIC - certainly
Would I stay here on a leisure break - maybe not - although the pools did look nice and inviting - very easy to understand if the majority at the hotel at weekends were over the 60 years old age bracket.

Hopefully back again soon for another conference at the BIC!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Three of us stayed 15th/20th Sept 2010. The rooms are not up to 4 star quality. Our room.- Wall lights insecure one repaired one odered, top radiator valve had leaked gunge down the pipe.(cleaned off) Bedside light insecure to base. (repaired) Window sill had been filled but not painted.Bed cover was soiled. (taken away but not replaced) Furniture was worn out. Bathroom door handle was broken due to incorrect fitting being used. Bath waste remote operating system broken and could not be used. (retaining screw broken) Bathroom fan was like an organ grinder. (Replaced) Bathroom spotlight for mirror inoperative. (repaired) Toilet required four flushes to dispose of use. Restaurant and meals were acceptable but we had family for Sunday lunch and all stated afterwards that the roast beef was not cooked enough. Restaurant rectified next day on complaint. On the third floor outside escape area was a flat roof which had a pint glass in the gutter which could be clearly seen but was never removed before we departed. I filled in the Hotel questionaire and also wrote to the Operations Director but have received no response to date. We chose this Hotel due to our experience with other four star Hotels in the area but it seems that Bournemouth has a take it or leave attitude. You have been warned.

• Stayed September 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

After a lot of research I chose this hotel for my husbands birthday getaway from recommendations on TA. My criteria was a sea view (WOW) job done! The location of this hotel is fantastic, parking at the rear and not far from town.
I did request a superior room with a balcony, and on arriving we were shown to a junior suite which had a balcony with lovely views across the sea. The room was a bit dated and as we recently had mounds of rain the balcony wasn’t very nice (not the hotels fault). But I did ask if it were possible to see other available rooms - For Kim, on reception - it was no problem at all, she took several keys and showed us some rooms that were available. Finally we were shown room 214, which was a huge room on the second floor and recently refurbished, it was easily the best room, large picture bay windows with armchairs and a sofa at the window. the sea view was also from the bed. No balcony, but it was a compromise for us. Lovely refurbished bathroom with his and hers sinks, and laminate flooring, down a little corridor from the main bedroom. Huge bed which was 2 large singles pushed together I think, which was so comfortable. We were told that this was the honeymoon suite, Bath robes, tea and coffee, complimentary shower gel etc, and a bottle of water daily, sky sports channel on TV, which was fab as we arrived on the Monday of the Golf Ryder cup last day - so we watched the final, and in case you didn’t know WE (The Europeans)WON!!!! Sorry. Great start to our little trip.
We loved this room, so we moved in, it was next door to the one we were given.
Breakfast, The buffet consists of juices, cereals, yoghurts, wonderful fresh fruit, croissants etc. We were offered a choice of cooked food from the kitchen, and white or brown toast, I ordered haddock and/or poached eggs and my husband had omelettes and/or poached eggs, all of which were delicious. They also offer kippers.
Dinner, We had dinner in Fredericks every night, which is £29.95 per person for a 3 course set menu including coffee. But we were given £10.00 discount vouchers per person from reception for each evening. The food in the restaurant is superb, as someone did comment - small portions - but enough, for us. As it was my husbands birthday - Nico the restaurant manager, went out of his way to spoil my husband - he came out singing happy birthday with a tiramisu ‘birthday’ cake including candle - really nice touch. A couple of ladies dining at the next table also joined in the singing, which was really nice, and friendships were made.
I cannot fault this hotel, or the staff, everyone is extremely courteous and friendly, and were attentive to us.
We loved our stay so much - instead of coming away after 3 nights we asked to stay for a fourth, that was no problem because the room was available still, so we went off to Monkey World for the day. The weather was gorgeous all the time we were here so the views were spectacular all our stay. We saw sun up and sun down from our lovely sea view room.
The best bits ;-
The view. The bed. The Ryder cup! The birthday cake. Fredericks restaurant… food and staff.
The worst bits;- Nothing worth a mention
Having read previous reviews, I must add that this hotel isn’t perfect, we have yet to find such a place, but weighing it up - it ticked all the right boxes for what we wanted, And we would definitely return.
Thanks to TA members for their honest opinions when I asked the question on the forum back in August ’posh hotel for husbands birthday’ and to the Carlton Hotel staff for looking after us extremely well.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel before and it is still as excellent as ever.
The food is wonderful - small portions at dinner but quite sufficient.
The menus are varied each night so plenty to choose from.
We had Room 124, which was a side view of the sea, and was at no extra charge!
I took some photos, which I've attached.
Excellent and very friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
woodl2001, General Manager at Menzies Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Thank you for your review, it is always good to see guests returning on a regular basis, I like room 124 as its does benefit from the side sea view and is of a comfortable size. The chef has been working hard on the dinner menus, using local seasonal produce from good ethical companies, he has contributed a great deal to the Carlton being awarded a Green Tourism award for our contribution to reducing the carbon footprint of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you home very soon

Been to Menzies Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!