“Typical tired Bournemouth hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Wessex Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Cliff Rd, Bournemouth BH2 5EU, England   |
Ranked #51 of 76 Hotels in Bournemouth
Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Typical tired Bournemouth hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night on August 4th. We were allocated a spacious but 70s style decor room482 but it was nevertheless quiet at night. As the sash windows only open 2 inches and there's no air on it was very hot! Large bathroom with separate shower and bath in. Creaky floorboards everywhere. No atmosphere in lounge or bar area. We went to see the swimming pools area and saw a notice on the door stating the outdoor pool would be closed on 5th as scaffolding was being erected. Not sure who's brilliant idea that was? Surely that should have been done pre season not in the middle of it! Breakfast, sadly, is totally self catering. You're not even offered tea or coffee from a jug and have to queue up at one machine-quite interesting when the hotel is as busy as it was! I spent my time getting up to go to the food area instead of having a leisurely breakfast. Hotel is in a great location and has free parking but overall it needs a massive refurbishment

Room Tip: High level then you don't get so much of the creaking floorboards!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you for your review Harrysheet,

St James hotels acquired the hotel in March this year and we have begun an internal refurbishment program to modernise our rooms. We sadly do not have rooms with air conditioning, I only know of one hotel in Bournemouth that does and they charge twice the rates that we do so it comes at a premium,
With regards to the scaffolding, it would have been better to have this errected out of season the section of the building that is scaffolded requires urgent works in dry weather and therefore it had to be errected now. It will be up for a maximum of two weeks and we are taking the opportunity to re-paint the external of the building whilst it is up which would greatly improve the first impression of the building, something that many have commented on in the past.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have never visited this hotel before, so when I booked it I was impressed with the website. Boy did I get a shock. I checked in for a 3 night break with a family member and I regretted it. We arrived at reception and it was like something out of faulty towers. The receptionist was non nonchalant towards me - a quick form , signature and plonked the keys on the desk. She didn't even show the way or anything, the lifts were like something from out of the ark which I didn't attempt to go in. As we ventured to the room, the floors were creaking, paint was coming off the wall, the smell was awfully musky , I couldn't believe it I wanted to leave there and then.Finally we entered the room and it was horrendous, Firstly no air condition-they had old fashioned windows to open, old fashioned furniture, there was a constant dripping sound from the ceiling,I immediately complained but she was not having none of it saying it was fully booked. The bathroom was filthy like it had not been cleaned for days. Breakfast was extremely limited- 3 fruits to choose from. We checked out the swimming pool, don't get me started , it was so old,paint was peeling off the walls, it was horrible.I could not wait to leave,I actually said where are the comments cards- don't have any write an email she said. On the last day I dropped the keys in the cabby hole and the receptionist didn't blink an eye lash. I had stayed in Bournemouth last year, but this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and would not recommend it to anyone. The staff are rude and have no customer care exp. The whole hotel needs to be pulled down from scratch its a mess -, a total joke I could not wait to leave.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the less sound you will hear when sleeping.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Im sorry that you felt the need to create a review on tripadvisor to highlight your dissatisfaction. The building is tired, we are aware of this and have begun refurbishment works to correct this. Im afraid we do not offer air conditioned rooms, I am aware of one hotel in Bournemouth that does and they charge twice our rates.
We do only have 3 fruit choices on our breakfast menu but you failed to mention that the rest of the breakfast offering is extensive.
If a guest is unsatisfied with their room and we are fully booked, we endeavour to assist them in finding an alternative hotel, the prices of more modern hotels in the town often surprise some people, I know we are very reasonably priced in the area for what we offer, the building is tired but the hotel is clean, we offer free parking, free wi-fi and free use of our leisure facilities.

Im sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Last time we travelled to Bournemouth we stayed at the Travelodge and thought we would have a change so we looked at this "hotel" it looked nice and a pleasant place to stay how wrong we were! When we checked in the information was at a minimum! It was poorly sign posted to the room were wondering around for about half an hour finally shown to the room we entered the bedroom it was like a green house so hot!

We opened the curtains to open the window more and to our horror there was a yellow stain more than one all up the curtain I couldn't believe what I was seeing they were big patches! Stains on the floor & generally a very dirty room not only was the wallpaper torn off the walls cracks in ever corner of the bedroom. As I expected high standards and was hugely disappointed and when I went to reception and complained and explained the bedroom was absolutely diabolical there was very little the so called "duty manager" could do all he said was I should be the one to call late rooms for a refund and not only that he said they get these complaints all the time!! To my shock I replied then why have they not improved there standards to stop this!

After leaving reception with no help I honestly felt disgusted and ripped off!! My bed was hard i had a restless sleep and not only that housekeeping walked into our room at 9.30am in the morning even though we requested at 1pm checkout!!

Not happy at all and the attitude of the staff did not put my mind at ease or help me one bit to even attempt to enjoy my stay! The whole place needs a major reconstruction on the building and décor and the staff need to be trained to start treating guests with some respect and understanding it is not right a guest should have to put up with it or put out and not offer any help!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014

Im sorry that we were not to your liking, we are aware that the hotel is tired and we have commenced an internal refurbishment scheme to begin correcting this, St James Hotels acquired the hotel in March of this year and we have begun refurbishing rooms, to date we have done 9, we have also replaced all the pillows, put in new mattress protectors, new shower curtains, new bins and are in the process of replacing all of the duvets. We are replacing al of the hotel linen in September also. This only scratches the surface of what we have to do but we hope to acquire the building freehold by the end of the year and this will enable us to accelerate this program further.

I must say however that I felt your comparison with the Travel lodge was alittle unfair, on average their room rates, particularly in the summer are higher than ours and they also charge extra for car parking, wi-fi access and breakfast.

Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I recently spent 2 nights at the Wessex Hotel on a gift voucher from my son and his wife.
The hotel is situated in an excellent position, approximately 2 minutes walk to the promenade then 5 minutes along the seafront to Bournemouth pier and to the shops.

Although the hotel is somewhat dated we found our room (181) to be very large indeed with a large double bed, table and chairs, flat screen tv, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities which were replenished daily. The bathroom was a good size with a separate beth and shower.
All areas in the room were kept spotlessly clean.

We didn`t make use of their restaurant facilities, with a breakfast costing almost £14 each which we thought was a bit pricey. However, about 2 minutes walk away towards the town there are some very nice eateries which we used for breakfast and evening dinner.
A few coaches from Germany arrived with visitors so the hotel is obviously used on a touring holiday by foreigners.
Areas could do with updating - floorboards along corridors creak a lot - pity those in rooms nearby!

In saying that we would go back to the Wessex for a repeat visit should we decide to visit Bournemouth again although we do not know what room costs would be..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Im delighted you enjoyed your stay, the hotel was acquired in March by St James hotels and we have begun an internal refurbishment program to improve the decor of the bedrooms.
In regards to breakfast, the £13.95 stated on the breakfast menu is on the basis of you having tea, coffee, toast, continental and a cooked breakfast. If you wish to have less than this, just a coffee and a cooked breakfast for example, you can be charged just for these. We are in the process of re-designing our food offerings, the bar and lounge menu and the restaurant menu have been completed however the new breakfast menu has yet to go to print.

We hope to welcome you back to the wessex in the future.

Hereford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Reception area and bar very nice. I agree with some previous posts that the exterior and rooms are quite dated but NOT in any way dirty! Would be interested to see how it looks when renovation is complete. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. Ideal location for town centre and beach.
Slightly disappointed by the leisure facilities on offer, especially the pools, again, quite dated and in need of some TLC.

Stayed August 2014
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014

Im delighted you enjoyed your stay, I agree with your comments on our rooms, they are very dated but our housekeeper does a very good job at keeping them clean. We are in the progress of refurbishing some rooms to make her job alittle easier.
Its sadly a similar story with the leisure club, the building has suffered from under investment under the previous ownership and we are working hard to rectify this. I hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future when we have made some progress on these issues.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Hubby is sending a letter of complaint to last minute booked on the day as I had been ill and wasnt sure if I could travel. As original hotel we picked had sold out, wanted one with a pool, and cant fault the staff! Moved rooms woken up at 6am they had a coachload staying on our floor who had no respect for us still trying to sleep! Talking, laughing- slamming doors went on for over an hour not impressed at all. Room was too hot downstairs got a fan. 2nd room higher up was cooler big bathroom and nice size room comfy bed very quiet much better. Never had breakfast 2nd day went out to Harvester at our expense wanted continental after the greasy bacon issue thats all I could taste for half an hour! Hope we get a refund of some kind. Rock family.

Room Tip: Go for higher up room on its own in corner if you can quieter!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for your review Clangers1958,

I was surprised with your comments on our breakfast, we replenish our breakfast buffet every 20 minutes to avoid items being sat out too long. We recently invested in our breakfast buffet, buying new ceramic dishes, grease trays for the bacon and sausages (this means that they are not greasy) and new hot lamps. We have since received lots of positive feedback, many of which can be seen on other reviews.
I can only apologise about other guests disturbing you in the morning, with the mediteranean weather we have been having over the last couple of weeks, guests are keen to start the day early and get to the beach, we do try to encourage people to be courteous when going to and from their rooms but it is very difficult to police.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stayed here a few years ago, then again at the beginning of July. Interesting to note the changes. Rooms, as before, very tired and dated. Threadbare carpet, faded and chipped furnishings, etc etc. However, this time round everything was very clean (although *looked* dirty from just how elderly everything is - ie, surfaces discoloured etc), staff could not have been more helpful and the place has the sense of somewhere undergoing a bit of a change. If they're planning a refurbishment, they do have a task on their hands - the place is huge and rambling, and it doesn't look like most of the guest facilities have had anything done to them since 1985. But it was a significant improvement on my visit a few years back which had distinct shades of Fawlty Towers.

Another thing - food was actually very good. Ordered from room service expecting the usual dry, tepid, overpriced stuff (being too lazy to go out) and it was excellent. Similarly, breakfast was the standard hot buffet affair but with a decent selection and with food prepared in small enough quantities that I wasn't eating sausages and eggs which had been quietly dessicating for two hours under a heat lamp. It was as good as you'll get from a hotel breakfast without having it cooked to order. If that sounds like I'm damning with faint praise that isn't my intention!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014

I thought your review was very balanced and accurate, we are very much a hotel in transition, we have recently introduced new menus throughout the hotel and they seem to be going down very well with our customers, I will pass on your comments to the team.
The rooms are very dated, I cannot agree with you more, we have began an internal refurbishment progrom and we hope this can gather pace once the company obtains the building freehold.

We hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future.