“Nice Hotel For A Short Stay.” 3 of 5 stars

Wessex Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Cliff Rd, Bournemouth BH2 5EU, England   |
Ranked #51 of 76 Hotels in Bournemouth
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel For A Short Stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I recently spent 2 nights at the Wessex Hotel on a gift voucher from my son and his wife.
The hotel is situated in an excellent position, approximately 2 minutes walk to the promenade then 5 minutes along the seafront to Bournemouth pier and to the shops.

Although the hotel is somewhat dated we found our room (181) to be very large indeed with a large double bed, table and chairs, flat screen tv, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities which were replenished daily. The bathroom was a good size with a separate beth and shower.
All areas in the room were kept spotlessly clean.

We didn`t make use of their restaurant facilities, with a breakfast costing almost £14 each which we thought was a bit pricey. However, about 2 minutes walk away towards the town there are some very nice eateries which we used for breakfast and evening dinner.
A few coaches from Germany arrived with visitors so the hotel is obviously used on a touring holiday by foreigners.
Areas could do with updating - floorboards along corridors creak a lot - pity those in rooms nearby!

In saying that we would go back to the Wessex for a repeat visit should we decide to visit Bournemouth again although we do not know what room costs would be..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014

Im delighted you enjoyed your stay, the hotel was acquired in March by St James hotels and we have begun an internal refurbishment program to improve the decor of the bedrooms.
In regards to breakfast, the £13.95 stated on the breakfast menu is on the basis of you having tea, coffee, toast, continental and a cooked breakfast. If you wish to have less than this, just a coffee and a cooked breakfast for example, you can be charged just for these. We are in the process of re-designing our food offerings, the bar and lounge menu and the restaurant menu have been completed however the new breakfast menu has yet to go to print.

We hope to welcome you back to the wessex in the future.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Hereford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Reception area and bar very nice. I agree with some previous posts that the exterior and rooms are quite dated but NOT in any way dirty! Would be interested to see how it looks when renovation is complete. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. Ideal location for town centre and beach.
Slightly disappointed by the leisure facilities on offer, especially the pools, again, quite dated and in need of some TLC.

Stayed August 2014
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2014

Im delighted you enjoyed your stay, I agree with your comments on our rooms, they are very dated but our housekeeper does a very good job at keeping them clean. We are in the progress of refurbishing some rooms to make her job alittle easier.
Its sadly a similar story with the leisure club, the building has suffered from under investment under the previous ownership and we are working hard to rectify this. I hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future when we have made some progress on these issues.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Hubby is sending a letter of complaint to last minute booked on the day as I had been ill and wasnt sure if I could travel. As original hotel we picked had sold out, wanted one with a pool, and cant fault the staff! Moved rooms woken up at 6am they had a coachload staying on our floor who had no respect for us still trying to sleep! Talking, laughing- slamming doors went on for over an hour not impressed at all. Room was too hot downstairs got a fan. 2nd room higher up was cooler big bathroom and nice size room comfy bed very quiet much better. Never had breakfast 2nd day went out to Harvester at our expense wanted continental after the greasy bacon issue thats all I could taste for half an hour! Hope we get a refund of some kind. Rock family.

Room Tip: Go for higher up room on its own in corner if you can quieter!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for your review Clangers1958,

I was surprised with your comments on our breakfast, we replenish our breakfast buffet every 20 minutes to avoid items being sat out too long. We recently invested in our breakfast buffet, buying new ceramic dishes, grease trays for the bacon and sausages (this means that they are not greasy) and new hot lamps. We have since received lots of positive feedback, many of which can be seen on other reviews.
I can only apologise about other guests disturbing you in the morning, with the mediteranean weather we have been having over the last couple of weeks, guests are keen to start the day early and get to the beach, we do try to encourage people to be courteous when going to and from their rooms but it is very difficult to police.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stayed here a few years ago, then again at the beginning of July. Interesting to note the changes. Rooms, as before, very tired and dated. Threadbare carpet, faded and chipped furnishings, etc etc. However, this time round everything was very clean (although *looked* dirty from just how elderly everything is - ie, surfaces discoloured etc), staff could not have been more helpful and the place has the sense of somewhere undergoing a bit of a change. If they're planning a refurbishment, they do have a task on their hands - the place is huge and rambling, and it doesn't look like most of the guest facilities have had anything done to them since 1985. But it was a significant improvement on my visit a few years back which had distinct shades of Fawlty Towers.

Another thing - food was actually very good. Ordered from room service expecting the usual dry, tepid, overpriced stuff (being too lazy to go out) and it was excellent. Similarly, breakfast was the standard hot buffet affair but with a decent selection and with food prepared in small enough quantities that I wasn't eating sausages and eggs which had been quietly dessicating for two hours under a heat lamp. It was as good as you'll get from a hotel breakfast without having it cooked to order. If that sounds like I'm damning with faint praise that isn't my intention!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Wessex_Management, Manager at Wessex Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014

I thought your review was very balanced and accurate, we are very much a hotel in transition, we have recently introduced new menus throughout the hotel and they seem to be going down very well with our customers, I will pass on your comments to the team.
The rooms are very dated, I cannot agree with you more, we have began an internal refurbishment progrom and we hope this can gather pace once the company obtains the building freehold.

We hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future.

Berkshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I booked this hotel mainly for the outdoor pool as I just wanted to spend the weekend in the sun by the pool. My single room was on the small side but it was spotlessly clean and had everything I needed in the room. I had requested a low floor room and they gave me ground floor which was perfect for me and when I got to my room the extra pillows I had asked for were there, the remote for the TV was missing but 5 minutes after speaking to reception 1 was brought to my room and checked that it was all working. I was very impressed with all the staff from reception, bar, room, restaurant and the young girl working at the pool was fantastic. Nothing to to much trouble for any of the staff and yes the hotel is a bit tired in places but it doesn't effect your stay and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your review natalieC c,

Im delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff helpful and friendly. I do hope to welcome you back to the Wessex in the future.

Wokingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My visit this Saturday to the Wessex resulted in me not staying and I would recommend you do the same. The hotel is dirty and tired looking. The staff are obnoxious and slovenly. From the residents sitting on wall at the entrance having a "fag" to the receptionist who said it was too hot outside for her to be pleasant and smile and the manager who couldnt be bothered to come and sort out my issue let alone being rude to the other guest in reception - please please do not stay at this hotel. The hotel is 3 star but should really be condemned. The company who own this hotel rely on hen and stag parties, who are stuck there and really its just a bed. But this shouldnt be the basis for staying in a hotel. It should be clean and welcoming even if it is tired. I arrived Saturday afternoon around 3pm and the receptionist didnt engage with me at all - she told me I had to pay for an extra key fob as they were always getting "nicked" charming eh..... then she asked for payment up front for the room without me even seeing it and when I questioned her re her lack of welcome she told me what did I expect its 30 degrees outside and she's been busy ! I then asked to inspect the room and not only are there no signs whatsoever of the lift to the floor of the room I was viewing I had to rely on directions from another guest as the receptionist certainly wasnt going to help me. The room is something out of the 1970's (in fact I went into a friends room later and that was even worse) the chairs and flooring are dirty and stained and god only knows how old the mattress is. The room has sash windows and there were locks so you could only open slightly great for 30 degrees ! I promptly took my things and went out quickly before I caught something. I am sorry this is no exaggeration this hotel needs pulling down. The polish manager was laughing with the receptionist over another complaint he received from a poor woman asking for his help. Its truly shocking. The mean is what I generally go with on Trip advisor ie you do get some complaints but these could be subjective. This seriously is all the things i mentioned please do not waste your money on this dump !

Room Tip: dont waste your money
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

I found your review to be highly inaccurate having investigated it, you say that you checked out immediately as the hotel was so bad but you did in fact stay the night. We obviously were not as bad as you make out and I question your agenda for writing such a review.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

1st impression of hotel was good. Clean modern reception area and smooth check in. But dont let that fool you.... beyond reception is a very old, tired & stained hotel. I entered our premier family room(£149 for 1 night) and the 1st thing that hit me was the awful awful stench of urine ( after having a child that wet the bed for year...i know that smell). I pulled back the stained sheets and the state of the matresses were horrendous. Urine stains everywhere !! What makes it worse is that none of the beds had mattress or pillow protectors on which in 2014 is just discusting and should come as standard. I did go to reception and complain about it and i demanded that every mattress be changed and protectors put on, which reception did do but without having a moan about it first. I would have walked out of the hotel and stayed somewhere else but unfortunatly we were there on the busyest weekend of the year and there was no where else available. This hotel has the potential of being amazing but i teally thing they should close it down for a few months to get the rooms decorated rather than booking customers that will never return again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Im sorry that you disliked your stay with us so much that you felt the need to create an account on Tripadvisor. We are a hotel which is very much in transition, the hotel suffered from years of neglect from the previous ownership and we are in the process of trying to improve the standards throughout, we have commenced an internal refurbishment program and the company is in negotiations to buy the building freehold.

Your completely correct regarding the mattress and pillow proptectors and Im happy to advise that we have today raised an order for mattress and pillow protectors throughout the hotel.