“Poor” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia Roundhouse Hotel

Save Saved
You added Britannia Roundhouse Hotel to your Saves list
Britannia Roundhouse Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Meyrick Rd | Landsdowne, Bournemouth BH1 2PR, England   |
Ranked #59 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
“Poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Having booked another britannia hotel, I was moved before having even arrived. I thought I'd got a good deal, as the Roundhouse was twice the price of the hotel I'd booked and was very close to the pier in comparison. But I definitely wouldn't have paid the full price for it. The room wasn't in great condition, the carpets and upholstery were really worn down.

The tap was also leaking and it was obvious that it wasn't the first time from the brown stain under where it was leaking. I asked if somebody could fix it for me and they didn't have a clue what they were doing, and just tightened the screw with their hand, the leak starting again as soon as I used the tap. I used the metal disc on my room key in the end to tighten the screw myself.

Breakfast was included in my original booking, but in the transfer to this hotel it was missed off my booking, so I had to flag this up too. Not impressed. The only thing going for this hotel is the location.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Furniture that was still in one piece was from the 70's dirty dust everywhere asked to change rooms and it just kept getting worse.... this could be a great hotel if they invest in the rooms, two words DONT STAY... upgrade the rooms take a leaf out of premier inns book,, Still have not received our money back as did not stay, not a great start to my wifes birthday

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

You think I’m joking? No I’m NOT! Britannia Hotels should be ashamed at this travesty of what was once a nice [even a good middle-of-the-range] hotel in the centre of Bournemouth. The accommodation is now well past its ‘sell-by-date’!

I booked a double-room [single occupancy for 3 nights] via the phone number on www.britanniahotels.com‘s web pages and immediately became a captive having pre-paid.

The room I got [409] was dire; RuthMath’s previous review with photos of room 544 amply depicts the state of my room, if anything my dilapidated postage-stamp of a room was even worse.

Half the staff cannot speak adequate English, the buffet breakfast is poor. No fridge in room, in-room hairdryer looks like it came from a museum as does the 15” CRT TV, it costs an extra £3 per night car parking on top of the extravagant cost of room. The gents’ bar-room sit-down toilets do not flush properly. I could go on and on and on…,

The hotel appears to be taken over [at least during summer months] by endless coach loads of OAPs who appear to be paying less than half the cost and the dining room is then extended into the bar area to compensate. Nothing against the OAPs, I’m one myself but why should the coaches pay less than me and get better rooms?

The only good things are location and the WiFi works!

Room Tip: Don’t bother; Travel lodge, Premier Inns or many of the similar providers in Bournemouth provide bet...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Lichfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel was awful! I really wish I had spent 1 minute looking at the reviews before booking. The hotel was meant to be cheap and cheerful but for £95 + parking what we got was an extremely dated room (this doesnt matter so much) but a dirty toilet, bathroom in general was dirty (no toilet roll!!), carpet looked like it was not hoovered from many guests before, even though we cannot check in until after 3pm, you would think they had time to clean?! the room smelt like stale smoke with fag burns on most surfaces. The windows were dirty ON THE INSIDE, the chair was broken and tatty. overall a shocking room. If I had not already paid in full and was extremely exhausted I would of asked for a full refund and gone else where. Cleanliness surely is the most important thing in a hotel even if they do not care about replacing decor?! I have to say the bed was clean, and was changed. Don't stay in room 650.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed here for weekend with my partner, overall we was really pleased. The staff were very helpful literally bringing all our drinks food to room and this was even in the early hours of morning :) the restaurant was ok nothing great but for the price reasonable. The room we got was massive more an apartment. ..A seperate lounge which was huge a big double bedroom and a lovely bathroom. There was another room which i assume is an extra bedroom but that was locked. There are ironing facilities in a little room along the corridor. Don't get me wrong it's long overdue a make over but i wasn't complaining the price met what we recieved. It is very close to the beach too and the busy streets of clubs and shops. Be advised that the area there is quite high fir young people wanting to just get drunk

• Stayed May 2014
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Rather than writing any further reviews, as there are plenty to give you an idea, I have decided to simply show you a few pictures of our room.

They speak for themselves!

Only upside was the location. It's not even value for money.

Room Tip: nothing I can offer here...all of the rooms we saw were awful. All pictures were taken in room 544...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Amazing (comedy) value

Given Bournemouth’s status as one of the UK’s most popular destinations for stag and hen parties coupled with the fact that the Roundhouse is one of the few hotels in the area that provides rooms with three bedrooms, I was expecting the hotel to be a combination of What Happens in Sunny Beach and Hotel Inspectors. No reality TV show, however, could have prepared us for the reality awaiting at the Roundhouse.

Upon entering reception, we were greeted (in June) by the jolly sound of a Christmas CD and several cheerful Christmas decorations. After checking in, the lift took us to the sixth floor where we were met by some serious 80s décor. The look and feel of that period was further enhanced by a complimentary odour that had possibly lingered since that time. When entering our room, it became evident that the treats in store for us at the hotel had only just begun.

The bathroom door had on it a large brownish-red handprint, which resulted in a fun guessing game about how it originated. Our conclusions differed as it could conceivably have either been created via faeces or menstruation. In addition there was a potent smell of cigarettes which, despite the window being fully open, had not yet dissipated. I had thought that the smoking ban (given that it extends even to bus stops) would have prohibited guests from smoking in hotel rooms. Apparently not. Conveniently for anyone who enjoys smoking whilst sitting on the loo, there is an ash tray affixed to the bathroom sink. Less conveniently, the toilet was unfortunately both blocked and leaking onto the floor. The hotel kindly provided a pile of extra towels as a resolution to this.

I had misplaced a sandal strap, so had a look under the beds to see if it had dropped onto the floor. I was somewhat surprised to find that the cleaner had thoughtfully left us with some additional items in the room – a half empty bottle of whisky (with most of the contents spilt onto the carpet) and a rather large pair of leopard print knickers! We let reception know, and their response was ‘yeah, yep’. That was all.

Being certain that stag and hen parties could largely only populate the hotel at weekends, I was prompted to wonder what their other clientele might be comprised of. This question was answered at breakfast on the Sunday, when we noticed a lady on the next table sporting an electronic tag.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Britannia Roundhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!