“Short summer break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Hotel Bournemouth

Save Saved
You added Days Hotel Bournemouth to your Saves list
Days Hotel Bournemouth
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Russell-Cotes Road | East Cliff, Bournemouth BH1 3AB, England (Formerly Marsham Court Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Book Early and Save 15%!
Ranked #22 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Short summer break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed here with family from 17th-21st July. First time I'd been to this hotel. I was impressed by the location and outside appearance of the hotel. The bar/foyer area is modern and welcoming. All staff were friendly and helpful throughout my stay. My room was lovely but very hot and one of the windows was broken. However the staff very quickly fetched me a fan on request for which I was very grateful! The food was of a good quality at both breakfast and dinner.
I would definitely return to this hotel and recommend to others!

Stayed July 2014
Rosie_Wallace, Owner at Days Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear heidi364,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your first stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends again in the future.
Please know that feedback such as yours helps us to improve on the quality and service we provide.
Rosie Wallace, Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Drive
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is the third time we have been for a whist break at this hotel. We decided on this one only a few days before and were pleased that we were able to get a first floor room with shower that we requested with special thanks to Sarah. The staff are all cheerful and ready to help. I am coeliac and have always been able to have a choice on the menu which is wonderful. If the dining staff were not sure they checked with chef willingly. I was impressed. The rooms with a sea view are lovely. I am coming in August with my daughter who is also coeliac and we have booked a sea view with a balcony. Also booked with my husband for the next whist break in October ,looking forward to it already!

Room Tip: We have never been troubled by noise whichever room we have had, The sea view rooms are worth the ex...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Rosie_Wallace, Owner at Days Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear E L,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Days Hotel Marsham Court.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your recent Whist holiday with us and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again for another 2 visits this year.
The staff will always try their utmost to accommodate your coeliac diet and provide you with choice on the menu. However if you should ever find there is something not suitable or you would just prefer to have something different, I am positive the Chef would be happy to make you an omelette or something else.
We look forward to seeing you again in August.
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Been coming for many years as a family and enjoyed our recent long weekend at the hotel. Good and spacious room. Very impressed by good quality breakfast and the polite and helpful staff waiting at the tables.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Heidi19796,
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were impressed with the good quality breakfast and polite & helpful staff.
Guildford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I thought that £101 for the night was very expensive for the extremely tiny, humid room and miniscule, even more humid bathroom. We were on the top floor which was probably why it was so humid. The bathroom door was about two feet from one side of the bed and so we felt particularly claustrophobic and spent the minimum of time there. On a positive note, the location was good - only minutes from the centre of Bournemouth.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Dear Sam G,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. All our rooms vary in size as we are an old building; however each of the rooms reaches the required size to meet with brand standards. If you would prefer a larger room, please just make this known to reservations at the time of booking and we will try our utmost to provide this for you.
Pe9 2jw
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

had a very good long weekend at this hotel. The location in Bournemouth was excellent. Very comfortable, good food and service.Pool area very nicebut would think more loungers would be needed at the height of the summer.Would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Dear Mary D,
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found it comfortable.
L9 1jb
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

having stayed at this hotel for the past four years we sang its praises to friends saying it was four star quality .so they booked along with us for six nights .we all were so disappointed in the poor standards of service in the dining room the staff seemed lost at what to do .long waits to be served frequently having to ask for things instead of being approached by staff.room was not cleaned properly .put some dark clothes on wardrobe shelf and ended up brushing the dust off them and wiping shelf .floorboards on room above very creeky either keeping us awake or waking us up . plus on another time people shouting in car park in the early hours .all in all.standards and room quality deserve only a two star rating .we sadly along with friends will not be visiting again .

Room Tip: do not get a room at back over car park
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mr and Mrs K L W,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so sorry that your stay was not as good as your previous stays.
As I am sure you will appreciate, your stay was not to the usual high standards you have come to expect from us and I will indeed be speaking to the Restaurant & Housekeeping departments to discuss the issues that you have mentioned and rectify the training of the staff in those departments.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again, where we will endeavour to restore your faith in us.
Aspe Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

It was a sunny day when we arrived for our 49th Wedding anniversary. Being driven by taxi from the station for 4GBP we arrived midday at the front entrance. It looked vaguely familiar until we remembered that we'd stayed here for our 25th anniversary. In reality, nothing much had changed.
Externally, the outside looked tired in spite of a new coat of paint. The inside was abuzz with activity, as people bustled around the main areas; it is a popular venue for weddings and the polite staff were coping well with what seems to be regular traffic.
We had requested a superior room on the third floor, and that is what we got. The eighteen spotlights embedded in the L-shaped ceiling struck me as being well over the top, literally, and I wondered at the cost of running them. The two 3ft beds joined together were comfortable, allowing me to count the lights before they drove me to sleep, before my wife turned them off quietly. The bedding was good, and I forgot to ask for the duvet to be replaced with a sheet, before waking up too hot each night. My fault, or was it those hypnotic lights?
That first day, I eagerly opened the Day's hotel literature, only to find that some child had drawn an outline of his or her fingers on the exact page I had chosen. I started to rub them out with my eraser (note my clever use of English), but gave up with a tut when I saw that they had scrawled on other pages too. Looking around, I could see that the sofa doubled as a bed, which explained the artistry - and dabs on the carpet and sofa cover, not that they were extensive but could have easily been removed (apart from the ones that looked like rust).
It was comforting to see that one thing hadn't changed in 24 years, I think, and that was the radiators. They had aged with us, along with those lining the corridors. Still effective though, but indicative of the dollop of money that the new owners will need to cough-up if they are to get this money-making machine to continue to perform.
Commendably, good quality double-glazing had been installed, which was a relief, but someone needs to start keeping it clean, and remove the cobwebs hanging in the bathroom and the dirt accumulating in the frames in the bedroom.
The bathroom interior was fine, although I did object to having to press my face against the glass panel on the bath, when sitting on the toilet. Eventually I got fed up and heaved it away. Not convenient if you have a kinky partner who wants a bath or shower at the same time as you are trying to have a read, but there we could go. Literally. I should mention the generous heated towel rails, which double as driers for hankies, pants and socks. Very effective.
I also loved the teapot, cups and glasses, and bought a pack of butter shortcake biscuits to accompany the cup of tea that I boiled; this was from a shop opposite the Pavilion, where our granddaughter was due to be rewarded for her academic achievements. I Paid 1.65 GBP for them, to find that they had been crushed beforehand and I could only dunk them in my tea with the aid of a spoon.
Stepping onto the balcony over the door threshold, which the staff had failed to clean, ever (?), I intended standing there to admire the magnificent seascape view, while holding my mouth open to cool my scalded tongue; the tea was too hot. My fault again. Unfortunately, I nearly tripped over the raised threshold on my way out, and only realised how low the balcony railing was as I leant over it, gripping it for dear life as I looked down. That distracted me from my pain, I can tell you.
We went down for breakfast the final morning, to be told that it would cost10 GBP per person. If we had ordered in advance the cost would have been 8GBP pp, but I never intended to take up this opportunity; we had seen an offer in the nearby, huge Brasshouse pub for the same thing for 2.50 GBP per person. However, my wife refused to go there after having her measly hip replaced and not fancying the uphill walk back. I would challenge the claim that the shops and other facilities are minutes away. By donkey maybe, but on those slopes?
I would have eaten my shortcake biscuits rather than pay daft money for a breakfast, but our elder daughter offered to buy it as a freebie and my wife made me go along and join them. It wasn't that good either, as staff were employed to take orders from us for toast and drinks, and the food was only luke-warm. It turned out to be expensive anyway, as she paid for the grub but then conveniently left me to pick up her room bill in total. Dirty trick that was.
The hotel has a phone for ordering taxis; don't use it. The return cost was 5.80 GBP, which the driver glibly claimed included an "order charge". Use your mobile.
Bournemouth itself? Stuck in a time warp, with public buildings being of the same vintage as our hotel, but in desperate need of replacement. Shops are making a brave attempt to overcome the deficiencies of the elected civic officials, but what a jaded dump of a famous resort the seafront area has become.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Rosie_Wallace, Owner at Days Hotel Bournemouth, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear BJEaston,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Days Hotel Marsham Court.
I am, sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your holiday. In the last 3 years we have spent over £1.5 million on the hotel and the refurbishment is on going. We are a private family run business and as I am sure you can appreciate we can't do everything at once, even though we would like too.
In regards to the taxi fares, I have spoken to the Director of the taxi firm we use and there is a charge on every taxi in Bournemouth made by any telephone of 80p which is approved by Bournemouth Council who regulate the fares in the area.
Please know that your feedback is important to us as it will help us to improve our services to make your stay more pleasant in the future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have anything you wish to discuss.
Rosie Wallace, Director

Been to Days Hotel Bournemouth? Share your experiences!