The sky was blue, the sun:scorchio! How could I fail not to have a smile on my face as we entered the Royal Bath in the beach resort of Bournemouth?....
Well, try sitting in grid-lock traffic for 45mins just entering the town and then being told that there was no car park space left. I had to swing around and find a public car park nearby which fortunately had 1 space left. £4 for 24 hours. It turned out cheaper than the £20 p.n.car park at the hotel!
Which raises my first issue: The hotel boasts: car park. fitness room, swimming pool BUT they all come at additional costs. A bit disappointing when you are spending £125 a night.
The room 244 had the MOST magnificent room I've had in a long while. Triple aspect with views of the beach & sea. The savage beast in me was placated.
This hotel is steeped in history and could be one of the best in the country, unfortunately The Britannia Group which took it over from De Vere's have run it for profit at the expense of the staff who are run off their feet.
The whole place is grand but seen better days. So sad, as this place must once have been the height of opulence but now looks like a tired shadow of its former self and has the air of frugality about it. We admired this hotel from afar 30 years ago and made a secret wish that one day we'd stay there. We won't again. Britannia Group WAKE UP!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resort Hotel in turreted building located on 3-acre cliff-edge garden, with views over bay & Purbeck Hills. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, LateRooms, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Royal Bath reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Royal Bath Hotel Bournemouth
- Royal Bath Hotel Bournemouth