“great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Bath

You added Royal Bath to your Saves list
Royal Bath
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bath Road, Bournemouth BH1 2EW, England (Formerly De Vere Royal Bath)   |
Ranked #52 of 70 Hotels in Bournemouth
bournemouth
“great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

stayed at the royal bath whilst going to a local wedding, about 5 rooms we booked.Stayed here many times over theyears, yes things have changed. First impressions great location and good sized rooms with good facilities. The staff are a little under trained but make up for in friendly faces and helping when ever they can. The days of staying in a hotel like this at the rates they are changing and expecting 5 /4 star service are long gone, its a
bit like going to debenhams and expecting harrods its not going to happen.
We had a bit of trouble getting a late drink which they need to address, but all in a good stay.
Myfriends looked at trip advisor before we came and we all agreed you get what you pay for.
If you want to come to bournemouth to enjoy the town and views and have a comfortable stay
the royal bath is great. if you want 5 star book the chewton glen.

Room Tip: sea views a must
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Holly K, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Bath, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear trevor l,

Thank you for reviewing the Royal Bath hotel, I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer late night drinks which our night porter is suppose to do so I shall address this with the General Manager of the hotel, I am sorry yourself and your party were inconvenienced.

Thank you again for reviewing the Royal Bath Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

A group of stayed for one night for a family wedding nearby and decided to stay at this hotel. The rooms we had were spotless and clean and could not fault them, plus we had a balcony so the view was amazing! Breakfast in the morning was quick and easy and he waiters topped up the baked beans quickly once we asked for more! Overall a a pleasant stay, would stay again as he location is ideal.
People should remember its not the 5 star it was years ago but still a great hotel with excellent value for money

• Stayed April 2013
Dear GeorgieMarchant

Thank you for reviewing the Royal Bath Hotel, I am happy yourself and your party enjoyed their stay with us. We hope you all had a great time at your friend's wedding! We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you are considering booking this hotel I have one word DON’T. I am not at all surprised that it has lost it’s star rating I just wish I knew before I booked it for a spa break. Just to make you aware I have never left a back review on here but this is definitely the exception. Where to begin….
On arrival…
We were ‘greeted’ by a man in a suit who flung my passenger car door open and informed me for £20 he would park my car or I could park it myself in the public car park down the road for £12.50 overnight. I later discovered he was the Hall Porter. There had been no mention of this extra chargewhen I booked. There was also no offer to help with our bags. When we got to reception there was nobody there except for another gentleman who informed me he had been stood there for 10 minutes and no-one had severed him yet. We went wondering around and found a cleaner who was happy to go and look for a member of reception staff. When we were finally severed I gave the receptionist our names and told her we were booked in. She told us we couldn’t book in until after 3pm. Once I explained we were on a spa break and had treatments booked she told us to leave our bags with the Hotel Porter. Unfortunately when we took our bags to the Hotel Porter desk he was no longer around and so the same cleaner helped by checking our bags in and directing us to the spa.
The Spa….
What can I say other than disgusting! We were informed on arrival that we had to pay £1 to use towels, which I’m sure were once white, but were now grey and threadbare. Also they no longer hired robes either. In the changing rooms the locks on the changing cubicles were broken and many of the lockers were out of use. Worse still the jacuzzi was out of order and the sauna had a warning notice on it regarding a leaking pipe. We did try the steam-room but instead of the usual eucalyptus aroma that you would expect in a steam room there was a strong stench of mould and damp. We could not use this facility either. So for our ‘spa’ break we could only use the pool.
Our Room….
You will see from the photos I have supplied that the room was awful. The furniture was falling apart and the walls were stained and the wallpaper was hanging off. We could not walk on the carpet without something on our feet as it was filthy, as was the curtains. Which looked like they had never been cleaned. The windows were full of condensation to such an extent that you could not see out of them. There were cobwebs hanging from the light fitting. As for the bathroom – the shower was next to useless.

Dinner….
I would not feed the food they had on offer to my dog. In fact I have seen tastier looking dog food. The mushroom soup starter was so thick you could cut it with a knife. As for the ‘steak’ pie it was inedible. The free ‘wine’ was also bad and when I asked for a glass of lemonade to dilute it the waitress stood over us waiting for the £3 as she told us we were unable to book anything to our room as reception had not taken a swipe of my credit card.
Breakfast….
What a joke – one of the other guests dropped a serving spoon on the floor then picked it up and put it back on the table in full view of one of the waiters. When I asked the waiter if he was going to change it for a clean one, as he had seen what had happened his response was “Oh, you saw that”!!!

Check out….
At reception we handed the key in and were told there was nothing else to pay. We were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay. So I handed her our feedback which was a list of complaints on the back of our booking confirmation (an A4 piece of paper). She did not look at it. She just said “ah” with a smirk on her face and put it down (I’m not sure if she put on the desk or in the bin). But as I expected, I have not had any response to my feedback from either the hotel or Britannia who now own it.
In summing up – it needs condemning!!! I will never use this hotel again. I certainly will not recommend it to anyone, quite the opposite. It has definitely put me off ever booking a Britannia Hotel in the future if this is the standard of their accommodation.
You have been warned.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear KimMartin

Thank you for reviewing the Royal Bath Hotel, we have responded to your complaint where we have gone over your complaint in full. Please do contact the hotel, if you have not received our reply.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for one night on a Sunday as we needed to break a journey on to the South West. The hotel location, is not bad in terms of proximity to the sea, but it was immediately obvious that parking was an issue - we arrived at the door to ask about this and were told to go directly to the pay and display public (and unsecured) car park next door. This cost £12.50. On checking in we were then offered the hotel car park as an alternative (I had an expensive bike in the car so would have felt more secure with this) - but it was an extra £20.

Which brings me on to the room rates: my partner phoned the hotel to book and the staff on the phone would not give him a rate until he had told them what his budget was!! What kind of customer service is that? He felt very much that the staff member was attempting to bargain a price with him, so gave up and booked online, finding a rate 50 pounds less than their eventual quoted minimum.

We had a drink in the bar, which is a nice enough setting, but the barman tried to charge double the amount for a pint of coke on the basis that the on draught and bottled prices were different and although we had ordered a coke in a pint glass (assuming this would be draught), he had elected to use a bottle and charge the extra!

We didn't have a chance to try the gym, though it looks good, but did run along the seafront, which was far better than any gym could be!

The room was rather dilapidated, especially the bathroom, which was a bit sorry looking, though it was all clean and functional.

The final insult was as we checked out and were told there was a fee for paying both by debit and by credit card. I think it pretty bad to charge a credit card fee, but to charge a debit card is pretty outrageous.

All in all, although the hotel itself is OK, we left feeling like we had been fleeced: if one had added in the cost of parking for instance to the room rate, we could have spent near 90 pounds on a room elsewhere and hopefully had a better experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Aimee D,

Thank you for reviewing the Royal Bath Hotel, all our bedroom enquiries are done through central reservations and not with the hotel directly. It is not common practice to ask guests of their budget before giving the room rate price, we do have standard rates however it is common to find cheaper rates online whether it be through our site or a third party site.

We do inform all our guests about our car parking fee and about alternative parking for those who do not want their car valet parked however if you book through a third party site like booking.com we cannot ensure that you'll be informed.

I do apologise for our member of staff, I have spoken with the bar manager who has ensured that this will not happen again.

We are currently doing a multimillion-pound refurbishment on the hotel after years of lack of investment from the previous ownership. Due to the age of the building (175 years), there are going to be areas which will need upgrading.

We do charge for debit an credit card transactions, this is stated in all correspondence however if you book through third party sites we can not ensure you would of been informed of this.

Thank you again for reviewing the Royal Bath Hotel and we hope you will give us the opportunity to rectify your impression of the hotel in the near future.
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here for the weekend the hotel is a beautiful old building in a fantastic location. Our room was comfortable and clean, but sadly the hotel is really under staffed and this is letting the place down. The food in the buffet restaurant is un acceptable both in taste and presentation it really was awful and the whole experience was chaotic the guests were not happy. The food was not labelled and no one knew what was in the metal containers and it certainly did not match what was being advertised for that evening out side the restaurant door.
I would recommend this hotel on a bed and breakfast deal only and hope Britannia hotels improve this hotel which was once owned by De vere and was excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear OXONJOHN

Thank you for reviewing the Royal Bath Hotel, I am happy you enjoyed our surroundings and your room.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. We have appointed a new Head Chef to improve the quality of the food and we have also appointed a new Restaurant Manager to improve the service and customer care. However we do have another restaurant which you could have dined in which is Oscar’s Restaurant. Oscar’s Restaurant is an a la carte restaurant.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I have been staying in the Royal Bath, annually since 1995. The Hotel was always top class. The rooms were good, service excellent and staff always very helpful. The food was what one would expect for a 4 star and the dining area was always clean and pristine. Oscars restaurant was a wonderful eating experience and the Spa was top class. My husband and I always loved staying at the Royal Bath, we recommended it to friends and family.

Here is the bad bit, my friend and I decided to go for a Spa overnighter and I was looking forward to showing her the Royal Bath. She had never stayed before and was looking forward to it. On first impression the Hotel was the same, it needs a bit of tender loving care but that is acceptable considering the age. We booked in, no problem and I had booked a twin room with a sea view. We had paid extra as there were no twin rooms left and had to pay for a lex executive room. We were expecting a really lovely room...wrong. We ended up in the new part of the Hotel which is shabby and rooms are small and boxlike. There was no fridge in the room and was pretty basic. The furniture was awful as the bedside cabinets were worn and damaged. We had requested dressing gowns to wear to the spa which never turned up. The Spa was lovely and staff brilliant. Had a cream tea on the lounge but had to wait 10 minutes for the one and only bar staff. Dining was in the large dining room, it was self service and the food was really dreadful. We had booked for 8o clock and by then most of the dessert had gone and food was cold. Breakfast was a farce. The poor staff were running around trying to help but with a very busy full breakfast room this was impossible. There were no table cloths on the tables and the tables were scratched and worn. The do it your self toaster decided to give up, the bread ran out as did the milk. Tea is self service with a tea bag in a cup which is ludicrous as this must be more costly than a tea pot and as the cups were small it meant going backwards and forwards getting tea. The state of the table where the hot food was kept was dreadful as some people had managed to pour most of the baked beans over the table. There were elderly people from Wales who arrived on a coach trip and were not happy at all with the Hotel and service and stated they would be writing letters of complaint as will I.
The staff were trying to help but the Hotel is understaffed.

My message is BRITTANIA get a grip, you are losing customers like myself who has been coming back to the Royal Bath year after year and taking friends and family. People like me who are retired and can afford to be spoilt and pay for a good class of Hotel will now be going elsewhere.

Your STAFF are LOVELY and are working hard but can't do everything so employ more staff. In the long run you will get more people staying and will make more money....

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Harleyjax

Thank you for reviewing the Royal Bath Hotel, I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. All of our rooms are of different shapes and sizes as we are not a modern hotel. All of the furniture in our bedrooms are of expensive quality which matches the personality of the hotel however we do understand that it is not to everyone's taste.We are currently doing a multimillion-pound refurbishment on the hotel after years of lack of investment from the previous ownership.

I am sorry to hear your dressing gowns which you ordered did not turn up and I shall be addressing this with Reception however I am happy to hear you and your friend enjoyed your spa experience and leisure area.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. We have appointed a new Head Chef to improve the quality of the food and we have also appointed a new Restaurant Manager to improve the service and customer care. However we do have another restaurant which yourself and your friend could have dine in which is Oscar’s Restaurant. Oscar’s Restaurant is an a la carte restaurant.

Britannia Hotels is doing their upmost to make the hotel as good as it use to be however this all does take time. All of our staff are an asset to us and we do not take that for granted. Britannia Hotel is a different company to the previous ownership so some parts of the hotel will change as it would do if any other group had taken over but we are striving to make the hotel go back to it's former self.

In conclusion I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us but I do hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to rectify your impression of the hotel.
Devonport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have never ever stayed in such a poorly run hotel ever, its value was good to stay, but we expected so much better, have stayed in better in Bournemouth but was a busy weekend and could not book into our normal stay hotel. never ever again. Shame as hotel could offer so much. Was noisy at night, room was cold and service for breakfast was nil.. I have no words that can make this better. Try elsewhere

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Devon20,

Thank you for reviewing the Royal Bath hotel, I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do not have a formal complaint from yourselves so I do not get the chance to address your complaint however I do hope you will give us the opportunity to rectify your impression of the hotel in the near future.

Been to Royal Bath? Share your experiences!